co-planar orbit launch, arrive in polar orbit.

Hatsune

I am trying to do a orbit like the Gateway, but even if I use normal nodes, the trajectory still just move east and west of the planet instead of going polar. Currently, I need to do a course-correction in the middle of the flight, but Is there a way I can do it in my TLI?

The Mun orbits Kerbin equatorially in the stock solar system at 0 degrees inclination. If you want to get a polar Mun orbit, just adjust your transfer burn node until it's aiming right for the centre of the Mun, then pull the purple :antinormal: or :normal: handles to adjust the orbit down or up until you end up with a polar orbit.

It's a bit trickier with Minmus due to the inclination and even more so for interplanetary transfers as you have to consider the planets' inclinations too, but generally speaking if you want a specific orbit the best way to get it is to keep tweaking the node pro/retrograde (:prograde::retrograde:), anti/normal :normal::antinormal:) and radial in/out (:radial::antiradial:) until you get there. It can take a while to get it right and it's best to plan it out well in advance of actually doing the burn or else you could end up waiting too long and going past it.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:39 AM, Hatsune said:

I am trying to do a orbit like the Gateway, but even if I use normal nodes, the trajectory still just move east and west of the planet instead of going polar. Currently, I need to do a course-correction in the middle of the flight, but Is there a way I can do it in my TLI?

You'll want to burn the normal or antinormal nodes (the pink triangles on your navball). They'll change your orbital inclination so that you come in above or below your target's equatorial plane. 

Then once you've done that, just finetune your burn a bit with the prograde and retrograde nodes until you're coming in directly over or under your target and not like, "over but also eleventy jillion kilometres ahead". 

On 9/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, Hatsune said:

Yes, but it's really costly.  TLI is nowhere near the ascending/descending node, so inclination changes are weird.  Keep on doing what you're doing.

I've never tried this from Kerbin to the Mun, but I once did a transfer from a polar Duna orbit to a polar Ike orbit. The only downside is you have to wait until the orbit lines up with the target, or rather where the target will be when you get there.

8NTaJLf.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.