Hello all

paul_c

Hello all and I'm loving KSP so far! I've been playing fairly solidly for a few weeks now....love the career mode!

I've been to Mun a few times, crash landed more than controlled...although the most recent one didn't kill the little fella. Minmus, I've had more success with, its a slower descent/landing but I NEED a joystick because I just can't do it right with the keyboard controls. Its on order...frustratingly my existing one doesn't work properly, there's loads of talk on forums etc about the issue but no solution other than a different joystick I think.

I've been to Duna (and Ike) too, twice now. And 3rd trip I completely muddled it but had a ton of fuel, so flung myself out into space and randomly came across Jool, which was a bonus. Didn't have enough fuel to deorbit, tried an aerobrake but it went spectacularly wrong. Never mind.

I looked more methodically into a trip to Eve, the plannnig was meticulous, I lined everything up...and had an "encounter" with the Mun! I guess any kind of encounter is going to throw you off track and thus, I scrubbed that trip. Never mind, I'll try again in another 7 years or whenever the alignment of the planets favours me!

Image%20009%20ksp%20minmus%20surface%20b

Module built and flight tested - check
Trans-Minmus injection planned - check
Big rocket didn't blow up upon launch - check
Big long trip executed perfectly...well most of it, barring the last 50m. As a percentage, its really low!
Landed on Minmus......well, 70% of it has arrived safely, there's a few issues with some of the scientific instruments. The contract didn't say you wanted it upright???

Alas, I never fitted RCS, or it broke off, or something like that. I tried with the reaction wheel and it moves around a bit (and the engine still works too) but not enough fuel to do anything useful anyway...so its staying there and I shall launch a rescue mission in due course.

Every cloud has a silver lining though....it did inspire me to think "outside the box".....what about a horizontal lander?

Image%20012%20ksp%20horizontal%20lander.

Amazingly, it both flies (even on top of a big rocket on launch off Kerbin, although I shudder to think what the drag is like) and drives okay. I even got it to Minmus on a rescue mission and landed on the lake beds. But then I crashed again.....

I think it had one of those external spherical tanks fitted, which has broken off......

Just checked it, and it has the 10 units of monopropellant that comes with the command module. However, for some reason, they're not firing. I'm not 100% of what is/isn't needed for RCS to work. I thought it was just the two items - some mono fuel and at least an RCS thruster?

• 2 weeks later...