After time warp, I can't save, exit, recover, etc.

I just did a mission to Duna to save Jeb, Bill and Bob from an orbit around Duna. When I got all of them on board, I time warped to a transfer window back to Kerbin, but after the time warp I couldn't save my game anymore. I loaded the last quick save I made and time warped again, but after that time warp I still couldn't save the game. I then just went back to Kerbin and landed successfully, but I couldn't recover the vessel. I tried to EVA the Kerbals and recover them, but it still didn't work. Going to the Space Center, saving the game, going to the Tracking Station and exit to main menu, all don't work.

I then just closed the game via task manager and opened it again, but then it started at the last quick save I made, so back in an orbit around Duna. I then just tried again, trying to figure out the moment from which I can't save the game anymore. And it seems to be after a long or fast time warp. If I use the 100.000x time warp, it immediately doesn't work anymore, if I use the 10.000x time warp it works for a few seconds, but after a while I get the same problem again. So the problem seems to arise after/while a time warp.

I have seen other people have also experienced this problem, but almost all of them after docking, but I didn't dock anything in this flight. I transferred the Kerbals from craft to craft with there EVA pack. 

As far as I know I haven't clipped any parts and I don't have any mods. (I do have both the DLC's)

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can fix this?

Hmm, I recently had a similar issue, just on the launch pad with a single capsule.  I actually was able to recover kerbals once EVA'd, but it sounds like you tried that and it didn't work.  But if you try it again, beware because I only recovered one of the kerbals through this method.  I left the rest of them in the capsule and they got Apollo 1'd.

• 1 month later...

This has happened to me a couple of times with two similar (slightly complex) ships. I tried to create a save and then reload it, but while it calls itself "quicksave #1" that doesn't show up at all when I go to load a save. I also tried renaming it but with the same results. I had done some warping, but I've warped with other vehicles without a problem. When I loaded "persistent", it recovered the capsule with one Kerbal in it and the other two Kerbals were still in the lander, orbiting Minmus. They had the ∆ V to return to Kerbin and luckily as I had done this once already losing all my science (and two Kerbins I had to return to "Active" mode) I had put parachutes on it. I recovered them then and got all my science ... but this does not fix the issue.

**[EDIT]** Did 2 sub-orbital flights (one with transferring crew to the lander and back) no problem. Did another Minmus flight w/landing, on re-docking I could not go to the space center or tracking station. I could however revert the flight. Pretty sure it's the time warp (still).

**[EDIT 2]** Vanilla re-install, launched for Mun with a new ship with a separate lander. Used time-warp. Landed, launched, and when I went to re-dock I noticed that the RCS engines on the command module looked like they were blowing (same thing happened on the last ship now that I think of it, even though I removed all the RCS fuel from it). Docked, transferred crew, couldn't save or go to space/tracking centers. Reloaded from pre-Mun circularization, burned back to Kerbin, time-warped, landed, recovered everyone.

I think it's having a separate lander maybe? Damn, I hope not. (I did try landing the ships still docked, it was funny but it did not work, too top-heavy)

Edited by SteveTheKerbal
More information

I came to the forums to post this exact issue. This does indeed happen when using a separate lander, and it ruins your entire mission.

Does anyone have a clue which version introduced this bug? Because in that case I'll install an older version.

I love that they're still adding to the game almost 8 10 years after release, but it is extremely frustrating when bugs and new features seem to be added at a 1:1 ratio.

Edited by abstin

I am having the same issue. Can save past my lander separating. I can’t save, go to the tracking station or space center, I can plant a flag or it the kerbal I’m using stops responding. Made it back to kerbin and I can recover or go to space center. Restarting the game and system doesn’t work.

I had ships with landers working about on Sunday 1/31.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.