How visible should other star systems be?

How visible should other star systems be?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. When you launch KSP 2 for the first time and look at a map or tracking station view, how would you like other star systems to appear?

• I'd like to have the full ability to move to and zoom in on other stars, planets, and other interstellar bodies at will. I essentially want the features of the KSP 1 tracking station, but to extend to all bodies in the game.
    • I would like partially limited information, but still everything needed to navigate. The masses, orbital characteristics, and basic atmosphere information of bodies should be there, but I should have to actually visit a system to flesh out planetary surfaces and other fine detail.
    • There should be very little information already available regarding other systems, other than basic information about the parent star and a probable number of large bodies. We should start out with only the most basic exoplanetary information akin to what the Kepler telescope has provided in real life.
    • We should begin the game knowing virtually nothing about other stars apart from magnitude and distance. It should be up to us, the player, to field space-based telescopes and interstellar scouting missions to increasingly reveal the information which is available by default in the previous three options.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/12/2021 at 05:50 PM

I'm submitting this question because PlutoIsaPlanet tried to ask it earlier. When the game launches, how much true "exploration" do you want to do with other star systems?

I think for sandbox and science mode of KSP2 should have all the KSP planets and interstellar planets should show.

In career their orbits should slowly appear after time and contracts. Like asteroids. 

The devs have said they don't want any spoilers in regards for the new star systems. So I would imagine that they will be hidden until discovered in both sandbox and adventure mode.

6 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The devs have said they don't want any spoilers in regards for the new star systems. So I would imagine that they will be hidden until discovered in both sandbox and adventure mode.

But like, what's the thing that's hidden? We've already seen in amazing detail the surfaces of planets like Puf. Are you saying the devs are going to just stop teasing planets and then release with 90% of them up to the player to find?

14 minutes ago, Wubslin said:

But like, what's the thing that's hidden? We've already seen in amazing detail the surfaces of planets like Puf. Are you saying the devs are going to just stop teasing planets and then release with 90% of them up to the player to find?

It seems like that's the plan. They will only show what was on the list shown during the first dev video. You wouldn't want to show the whole game off before you release it, would you?

Edited by shdwlrd

15 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

It seems like that's the plan. They will only show what was on the list shown during the first dev video. You wouldn't want to show the whole game off before you release it, would you?

In KSP 1 the planets were a backdrop and the star of the show was the spaceflight. Apart from easter eggs and text blurbs when taking surface samples or EVA reports there wasn't much to explore. Such a development would be a big departure from the first game, but it does align with the leftmost philosophical pillar in that one post the devs made. We can all agree on that, right? If there was a wobbly leg on the barstool below it would definitely be exploration.

Actual-Image-1.png

27 minutes ago, Wubslin said:

In KSP 1 the planets were a backdrop and the star of the show was the spaceflight. Apart from easter eggs and text blurbs when taking surface samples or EVA reports there wasn't much to explore. Such a development would be a big departure from the first game, but it does align with the leftmost philosophical pillar in that one post the devs made. We can all agree on that, right? If there was a wobbly leg on the barstool below it would definitely be exploration.

I agree with this with one small exception. There was plenty to explore, but no reason to do so outside of personal curiosity.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I agree with this with one small exception. There was plenty to explore, but no reason to do so outside of personal curiosity.

I could not care any less for the procedural terrain in most places - I kind of wish there were more canonized glitches like the Mohole, but various canyons and things have been alright to land in. How about an algorithm with some muscle, you know? And not just height mapping - it would be cool to see some caves or something.

That said, the one thing in KSP that has the highest entertainment to effort ratio is the EVA text blurbs. I literally have flown entire manned Tylo and back missions just to see what it said when you walked around on it. And one of the biggest disappointments I've had in the game was installing the outer planets mod and seeing that all surface sample and crew reports simply say things like "you've recorded your observations about the situation".

2 hours ago, Wubslin said:

I could not care any less for the procedural terrain in most places - I kind of wish there were more canonized glitches like the Mohole, but various canyons and things have been alright to land in. How about an algorithm with some muscle, you know? And not just height mapping - it would be cool to see some caves or something.

That said, the one thing in KSP that has the highest entertainment to effort ratio is the EVA text blurbs. I literally have flown entire manned Tylo and back missions just to see what it said when you walked around on it. And one of the biggest disappointments I've had in the game was installing the outer planets mod and seeing that all surface sample and crew reports simply say things like "you've recorded your observations about the situation".

Too many years playing games with low poly worlds. So the planets in KSP looks fine to me. (If a little sparse with the fauna on Kerbin.) But in some cases, you can really see the inexperience of the designer in some places. 

Biodome hopping was fun at first. But once you realized that there are only a few per planet, it got boring really fast and there was no need to travel beyond a few areas. I do have to thank the mod makers for forcing you to explore with searching for resources and resource gathering. 

But you do bring up a good point. KSP does need a few good canned responses for doing science on modded planets.