Ore extraction bug

I have an uncrewed miner with 6 drill juniors that is mining an asteroid at the supposed rate of 0.06 units of ore/s (which would mean that my ship would be gaining 0.6Kg/s while the asteroid loses that amount) but the asteroid is losing a bit more than 1Kg/s.

At this point I thought that the junior drills would be very inefficient but no, something even weirder is happening: the total mass is increasing. 

To sum up, the drills are extracting at lower than expected rate of ore and therefore my ship is gaining less than expected rate of ore, the asteroid is losing ore at a higher than expected rate, but the total mass of ship + asteroid is increasing (there's no conservation of mass) 

1) Assuming an ore concentration of 100% (I haven't actually done any asteroid mining), 6 junior drills would be 6*1*1*1*0.05 = 0.3 ore/sec, for a mass flux of 3 kg/sec. As to why mass is not conserved... are you playing with a stock game, or running with mods?

I don't think ore concentration is a thing in asteroids (i.e you get the same ore rate regardless of the asteroid). 

I'm playing modded with mostly quality of life mods that don't change much of the game play. The only mods that I think could change the ore distribution are maybe Community Resource Pack and Ground Construction(?) 

There is a bug in the last two versions of KSP where the mass of ore is not removed from the asteroid (bug tracker link)

You seem to understand the drills better than I do, but in case you want to check the extraction rate, players have figured out the rules and put them on the wiki(link)

Edited by OHara

23 hours ago, OHara said:

There is a bug in the last two versions of KSP where the mass of ore is not removed from the asteroid (bug tracker link)

Off-topic: I like to joke about KSP still being in Beta, but I may have to revise that to Alpha. To play effectively, one has to maintain a robust knowledge of the outstanding bugs and their workarounds, if any.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.