Using the ground anchor

What are the options for using the new ground anchor? At first I thought this might be a good way to stop my bases/ships from jumping into the air whenever physics engages on a low gravity world like Gilly, but I'm not sure.

It looks like they are meant to be attached to the ground, then you build something on top of it, then you put a docking port on that, and now finally you attach [whatever] to the anchor by docking with what you just built? Honestly that sounds like too much of a pain to be any fun, given how much of a complete hassle it is to line up docking ports for ground bases in the first place.

Can I build a ground anchor and then just attach a strut between it and something nearby? Guess I should experiment, but suggestions welcome.

Relatedly, can I now use EVA construction to connect base add-ons with struts? Hmmm.

I’m pretty sure the ground anchor is a anchor one one side (the side that attaches to the terrain) and a klaw (https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Advanced_Grabbing_Unit) on the other side, so as you move slowly enough, you only need to be in contact with the deployed ground anchor for it to grab onto your ship 

Thanks for the video link. That helps, but it still seems like it's not very flexible at all; you have to get your spacing dialed in pretty precisely before it will do you any good. Maybe I can hack together something more general with klaws and pistons though (I do have Breaking Ground).

Thanks!

16 hours ago, chd said:

Maybe I can hack together something more general with klaws and pistons though (I do have Breaking Ground).

I'd be interested to see what you come up with - post some pictures of what works (and what doesn't! :) ) if you have a chance.

I've not taken the time to test it out, but I'm thinking that since it just has a node on it, using an engineer and construction mode you wouldn't have to use docking ports as in the video. If you have a supply of parts nearby you could just start building up a structure - and with enough other kerbalites nearby you could manipulate larger objects such as habitats and such. 

But that's all just ivory tower thinking. I'll try to test it in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.