[v0.1]Space Shuttle Vanguard

NovaSilisko

Seems a bit smalllish? Not gonna haul much in the cargo bay - at that scale it should really only be a crew reentry vehicle.

That\'s pretty much the intention. Fully reusable crew transport, capable of carrying supplies (like food and water) up to space stations.

Stalling a plane is a great way to land at a slow and steady pace. I have a plane that stalls at 13 m/s and lands around twenty, twenty five. Takes forever but it\'s safe and effective :P

It shouldn\'t be. In real life a stall means you\'re no longer producing any lift, therefore you\'re about to drop like a rock. KSP\'s aerodynamic model really is screwed up.

I sincerely need help on making the aerodynamics work. It\'s really getting on my nerves.

What exactly is wrong with it? Is it the lack of ailerons?

If so perhaps a control surface on the back of the wings that is possible to place by symmetry, rather than having the wings as one part?

If it\'s still nosediving why not make the nose cone a wing of some form? I\'m honestly clueless. Just throwing out ideas.

What exactly is wrong with it? Is it the lack of ailerons?

If so perhaps a control surface on the back of the wings that is possible to place by symmetry, rather than having the wings as one part?

If it\'s still nosediving why not make the nose cone a wing of some form? I\'m honestly clueless. Just throwing out ideas.

The wings are individual parts, and they\'re control surfaces. I just forgot how to make the deflection visible.

Honestly, I\'m fine with the bouncing around in atmosphere sort of thing, but I -need- to get this thing working on rocket launch before I release it!

That said, you can get quite a lot done with powerful SAS:

ss20111224160836.png

On launch with it sitting ontop... I know C7 mentioned this before. The wings at the top sets the whole thing off.

What about \'wing covers\' or somesuch. They have the same aerodynamic properties as the wings themself, but in the opposite direction, i.e neutralizing the wings until you eject them.

If that\'s even the problem.

On launch with it sitting ontop... I know C7 mentioned this before. The wings at the top sets the whole thing off.

What about \'wing covers\' or somesuch. They have the same aerodynamic properties as the wings themself, but in the opposite direction, i.e neutralizing the wings until you eject them.

If that\'s even the problem.

I doubt that would work. Pretty sure you can\'t even specify the direction of lift (so things work just as well flying upside down...)

Does it work if you have fins on the bottom of your launch vehicle?

Having it make the rocket tip over is actually quite realistic-it\'s why the X-37 needs to be launched in a fairing, and why, as in this picture, the rocket used for DYNA-SOAR would have had giant fins on it

Does it work if you have fins on the bottom of your launch vehicle?

Having it make the rocket tip over is actually quite realistic-it\'s why the X-37 needs to be launched in a fairing, and why, as in this picture, the rocket used for DYNA-SOAR would have had giant fins on it

I tried fins, but none are large enough.

Now, with huge wings like that... Let\'s do it.

In real life a stall means you\'re no longer producing any lift, therefore you\'re about to drop like a rock.

This is a common misconception, even among pilots, but it\'s totally untrue. A stalled wing still produces lift, just not as much as at a lower angle of attack.

Here\'s two graphs of wind tunnel measurements of lift vs. AoA for the same airfoil. The first is for normal (unstalled) conditions:

pre-stall.png

A stall happens when the aircraft\'s AoA exceeds that for maximum lift, which for this airfoil is between 12 and 15 degrees. Notice how the lift doesn\'t drop to zero beyond that point.

That graph only had data up to twenty degrees AoA. Here\'s what happens if you keep increasing the AoA:

post-stall.png

The lift doesn\'t reach zero until the AoA is past 90 degrees—that is, the wing has to be nearly flat to the oncoming wind to produce no lift!

The first graph is from Abbott & von Doenhoff, 1949, the second is from NASA CR-2008-215434.

This is a common misconception, even among pilots, but it\'s totally untrue. A stalled wing still produces lift, just not as much as at a lower angle of attack.

Here\'s two graphs of wind tunnel measurements of lift vs. AoA for the same airfoil. The first is for normal (unstalled) conditions:

pre-stall.png

A stall happens when the aircraft\'s AoA exceeds that for maximum lift, which for this airfoil is between 12 and 15 degrees. Notice how the lift doesn\'t drop to zero beyond that point.

That graph only had data up to twenty degrees AoA. Here\'s what happens if you keep increasing the AoA:

post-stall.png

The lift doesn\'t reach zero until the AoA is past 90 degrees—that is, the wing has to be nearly flat to the oncoming wind to produce no lift!

The first graph is from Abbott & von Doenhoff, 1949, the second is from NASA CR-2008-215434.

Well, considering the wings on my ship are pretty much vertical all the way out of the atmosphere, I don\'t think that would be much of a problem. It\'s a side effect of KSP\'s drag code - things with high drag ALWAYS want to be behind things with low drag. That\'s how the pod and parachute combo actually orients itself, not through aerodynamics.

Edit: Well, the big wings aren\'t helping much. Need to keep trying though.