What version to use for new install

eatU4myT

I've been away for a year or so, and now I'm ready to re-install.  Which version shall I use?  I will need some mods (clouds, life support, outer planets or a convincing  case to try another planets mod) plus some other mods that I think have been rolled into later KSP versions (precise manoeuvres, alarm clock).  Is there a consensus on which version is the best compromise of integrated features vs mod support?

I'd also like to get shiny/metallic parts working, which I never did before, not sure which mod to use for that so advice welcome!

Kind of a complicated question. There are so many versions, still a phletora of interesting mods and personal preferences that there is no 'one' answer or maybe even concensus imo. Right now I'm playing the latest version: 1.12.2+both DLC's+kerbal RnD

As the functionalty and game features grew with every new version I've been scaling down on mods. I'm not running a state of the art computer, therefor some performance-gain. 

A few years ago, I used Kerbal engineering all the time. For Dv calculations (now added to the basegame) and ground altitude (now added to the basegame). I allways used KAC, but last I week used the base-game alarmclock for the first time in a 11 ship mission to Duna. The build in alarm clock did everything I wanted it to do and the mission was a complete succes. Could not have done the mission with this 'ease' without the alarmclock.

Precise manouvres I've never used. Carefully scrolling your mousewheel over a manouvre-node attitude/velocity vector gives me all the precision I need. Has been the same for years. But planning a route by using multiple manouvre-nodes became easier through the presice manouvre tab during flight. 

I'm not sure if Kopernicus works fine in the latest version, but if yes...there are no new planets added to vanilla. Also, clouds (EVE?) are still absent. There is no life-support added in later versions. So yes you need mods for that. I find OPM an absolutely stunning planetpack. I have really fond memories of the New Horizons system as well. Not sure if that works in the latest version.

Building has become a lot more fun in vanilla with the adding of more structural parts, the 2 DLC's and a mesh selector. I recommend the DLC's (robotics!, ground features, scanning arms for rovers, ground experiments that take quite a bit of time to generate science, a purpose to land on other bodies, a purpose to build rovers!). To be able to give a lot of stuff different meshes (like white, black, SHINY silver or gold structural panels!) makes aestetics more of a thing. Great!

I do notice that with later update's, Vanilla KSP (+DLC's) wants a bit more performance from my somewhat older midrange gaming laptop. A 1.3.1 game with about 30mods (planetpacks, parts, lifesupport and bits and pieces) runs very smoothly. 1.12.2 with DLC's and the mod Kerbal RnD is slower in loadtimes and has a bit more lag in flight, meaning patience in launching a 200+parts ships. But I don't mind.

Hope this helps in your quest to build a new game.

For each of the mods mentioned in the original post, I know I've seen some version of the mod that will work with any given version of KSP since 1.73. 

There is also an old thread with discussion on this topic --  after 1.12 was released so recent enough to be relevant.

10 hours ago, eatU4myT said:

I've been away for a year or so, and now I'm ready to re-install.  Which version shall I use?  I will need some mods (clouds, life support, outer planets or a convincing  case to try another planets mod) plus some other mods that I think have been rolled into later KSP versions (precise manoeuvres, alarm clock).  Is there a consensus on which version is the best compromise of integrated features vs mod support?

I'd also like to get shiny/metallic parts working, which I never did before, not sure which mod to use for that so advice welcome!

KSP updates are done now, 1.12 will be the final major version. Mods will pile up and won't go out of date so you should probably stick with 1.12.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP updates are done now, 1.12 will be the final major version. Mods will pile up and won't go out of date so you should probably stick with 1.12.

I guess part of what I am asking is, did the features added to the base game in the later versions "do it better" than the mods that already added them in earlier versions? Is the in game alarm clock, manouver planner, KIS/KAS etc. better than just say running 1.8 and using the mods?

14 minutes ago, eatU4myT said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I guess part of what I am asking is, did the features added to the base game in the later versions "do it better" than the mods that already added them in earlier versions? Is the in game alarm clock, manouver planner, KIS/KAS etc. better than just say running 1.8 and using the mods?

Dunno. Probably subjective. What I'm saying is that 1.12 will gather mods now and those mods will never go out of date so you should stick with 1.12. People aren't going to keep making mods for, say, 1.3 or help players with these versions.

25 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

<gasp>

They'll have to pry 1.3.1 from my cold dead fingers. Hiss!

I will never leave 1.11!  I love having full SAS on my Scientists and Engineers in Career mode.     Start an deprecated KSP version cult!

12 hours ago, Tundra said:

I will never leave 1.11!  I love having full SAS on my Scientists and Engineers in Career mode.     Start an deprecated KSP version cult!

I'll stay on 1.11.3 until I'm sure that the docking ports work properly on 1.12.x.

So consider me a possible cult member ;)

Edited by Curveball Anders

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.