SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

What pack is that solar panel from? The flat one on the FusTek module. It looks like something that matches the KOSMOS panels.

That's from the actual FusTek pack, not the expansion pack :) btw Cool stations guys!

Finally have my Space Station fully completed. Besides from my interplanetary space vehicle ofc.

I've unoriginally named it the World Space Station.

Took inspiration from the ISS, and WSS that is in the movie Mission to Mars.

Apologies in advance for the size of the pictures.

D4170B8104CEAC8E446DFE63D5FB98BC46524FC1

2F675D2E4F0CC1A488EB1D8C4E15EA1B418FAA37

Started to lag a little for me 2 modules ago.

I wish the giant Ring span :(

why do you have such a ring

please teach me to get the ring

Im amazed to not see more people using multipul docking port docking.

station90.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks4envjkkrm47ke/station90.jpg

(Any reason why anyone thinks I cant insert an image from dropbox? I don't get it)

Multiport dorking makes the station really strong.

Ive shifted orbits many times without and breakage and very little wobble.

well, time for me to start engineering stronger space stations ;.; i have so many stations in orbit (about 7 so far, gonna launch moar!) and none of them use that type of docking. i also see a dragon with no solar panels docked there :0.0:

Question:

If i want to make a station at a mun or planet is it easier to dock everything at kerbin and THEN fly it over? Or just dock everything separately at its destination?

For a large part that relies on a few different things:

- Distance. Mun and Minmus are very nearby and there is no long wait between ideal launch windows.

- Station integrity. Moving a large multi part object invites a lot of wobble. Unless you use something like Quantum Strut or Docking Strut you risk tearing your station apart.

- And last but not least Logistics. To move a large station you'll need a drive section, you'll need engines and fuel. (And fuel to move all that fuel.)

There is of course a golden path between the two options. You could build a construction vessel carrying several modules of your station and piece things together on site. After discarding fuel tanks your drive section could serve as construction tug.

My K-Nor Minmus Outpost was build in Minmus orbit and took only four flights. One for the core and three for the arms. (First 'arm flight' also carried a small RCS tug.)

Edited by Tex_NL

Haven't been on KSP for ages due to bad case of exploding computer syndrome. Finally got the rig rebuild done, which with the new bigger VAB can only mean it's time for even larger, dafter stations :)

HMS Felixstowe

7pg7bsx7mjydtp6fg.jpg

creative! I'll try

@ M.wolfy well, time for me to start engineering stronger space stations i have so many stations in orbit (about 7 so far, gonna launch moar!) and none of them use that type of docking. i also see a dragon with no solar panels docked there

Once ya start making vehicles and stations with multi port, the skys the limit!

Oh, the dragon without solar was a wobbly ship deal in getting to the station.

As Im only really using this dragon as a life boat, I went with it.

One must be flexable and adaptable to circumstance in space!:P

2B8BBCE5CA08655676529F1E6E2000815055624E

The rather unimaginatively named K.S.S-1, the first station I actually ever built. While it was constructed primarily around an adapted stock-module, it was an important milestone in the Watsas Space Program's development, testing both heavy-lift rocket strategies, rendezvous strategies, failing at rendezvous strategies, and acquiring MechJeb.

The Primary (stock) module contains the main command center and a primary habitat, as well as supplies and RCS fuel, as well as solar arrays. The secondary, home-built module consists primarily of laboratories and small fuel tanks. It was not designed as a fuel station, however.

Unfortunately, the KSS-1 was lost with all hands when it was accidentally deleted by ending the mission, before I remembered the quick-save feature.

---

4D0DB7C4D21D0E026456D9D1E596F41D7771C71F

K.S.S-2 was built to replace the accidently-deleted KSS-1, and is essentially the same design. It was however, more successful (additional modules were added, though I have no screenshots of this). The layout was similar to the first station, but an additional power module was ultimately added, as well as two docking arms and a fuel tank. Unfortunately, it ended up in an inclined orbit, and was ultimately somewhat impractical. It's main purpose, as with it's predecessor, was scientific research and proof-of-concept. It was de-commissioned when it became functionally obsolete (0.20 was released and MechJeb was updated, removing some of the older parts).

---

CB7D40B3FE31F31892994DE875198DA4378B0786

This is the only Image I had of the Ill-fated KSS-3. It was meant to be a geostationary station used as a relay between the kerbin and the mun, a rest-stop for ships and a fuel post, to test various spacecraft configurations and orbital maneuvering strategies. Unfortunately, it was attacked by the space kraken, forcing a rather epic rescue mission to recover Harrick and Doodnard Kerman who were fortunately aboard the still-intact crew module when the station exploded.

Following the disaster, most of the debris remained in an elliptical orbit for the duration of 0.20, as it was considered uneconomical to clean up, though some was used as target practice by Jeb's Anti Kraken Squadron One.

---

11469BAC0C4AFD51CDA7472A63E5A2C49A66A900

The MINSTAR-1 space station was part of the Mint Valley project, an exploration of Minmus to examine it's origins and composition and weather or not it was the egg of a sleeping outer god (it was). The station itself was actually launched in one piece, and boosted to Minmus by it's attached orbital maneuvering module. The station itself weighs (if I recall correctly) between 40 and 60 tons (I may be wrong), and is about the upper limit on what I can currently, reliably get into orbit.

It was mainly a command and control center for the Mint Valley base on the surface; to recover ascent vehicles and act as a way-point for crew transfers. The design is potentially adaptable to other planets in (or out of) the Kerbin system, but it is likely more economical modular designs will be used instead.

---

72EED9B4F16EB6625E991F2E8AF1A34844ADD729

The Low Orbit Fuel Depot is, as it's name and design suggests, a basic, strict, utilitarian design. It consists of a fuel tank, RCS tank, a small crew can containing emergency supplies and bunks for ship crews to rest at, and a bunch of docking ports. A few thrusters allow it to change it's orbit, but it's mainly meant to be plopped in place and left alone. It is not meant for long-term habitation.

This type of station is extremely practical, and the most common type in use by the WSP. So far, three have been launched. Two in 0.20; "Lighthouse" in LKO and "Armstrong Canyon" orbiting the Mun, and the "Yakumo-1" in 0.21. It is planned for a number of such depots to be placed across the Kerbol system to allow ships to resupply if needed; it can easily be boosted into place by a tugboat if needs be.

---

CEDC395FF2F79A5EFC12114CA8D00F908E47161F

The KOMM-1-AD is not a true station per-se, but is listed here out of convenience. It is essentially a large relay module located in extremely high Kerbin orbit (the very edge of it's SoI), mainly used to relay communications from Kerbin to deep space vessels. It was deployed at the start of the first Duna program.

It was obviously unmanned, and used RTGs for power. It had a transmission range of approximately 10 A.U.

---

C2627BC4C4FC9088BA67DBF42B6A16CF0D003014

The Inari-1 orbital laboratory, a small and rather adorable space module, was placed in orbit after the 0.21 update and summary reboot of the WSP. It's purpose was fairly mundane astronomical research, with Bill, Bob, and Jeb spending about a week or two up there, before returning. It is however, obsolete, as a newer, far larger space station has been constructed, and it's orbit is soon to be taken by the Yakumo-1 fuel depot.

Plans are being Discussed as to what to do with the Inari-1 module: With the leading idea being to boost it to Munar orbit and use it as the base for a new station.

---

4F69E3EEAE6512466E1EF135D8E2B8515FB634C7

The Inari-KSS-IV is the de-facto successor to the earlier KSS series, being a large, modular, multi-purpose installation designed for a myriad of research and long-term habitation by Kerbal Crews. It represents essentially the upper-limit of the WSP's projected station design capabilities (mainly due to latency issues/lag). It consists of six (6) main modules with various purposes.

Core Module: With a cupola and a command bridge, at the top-center of the station. A neat overlook window is placed to observe activities in the science module below.

Power Modules: Two identical truss booms, each with large solar arrays and containing oxygen and life-support systems. Both were launched together and docked in rapid succession.

Habitat Module: Located on the far side of the station, it consists of two crew cans connected by a tube, with oxygen scrubbers attached. It contains all the basic necessities for Kerbal existence (milk, cookies, and oxygen) and some toilets.

Science Module: The tubey-trussy structure on the front. It is used for external mounting and various microgravity and vacuum experiments. The command crew can observe operations there from relative safety.

Tank Module: Contains fuel tanks to resupply docking ships, as well as water tanks and the station's sewage treatment system.

Communications Module: The antennae on the bottom of the station. Used for communicating with kerbin, as well as relaying with the KONSAT network in Kerbin orbit.

Currently got two stations in orbit atm, a manned one at 150km and an unmanned one for refueling my ssto's at 90km.

Both are refueled and serviced by my shuttles, shuttle two on the left with the cargo bay.

85AFBD027EAE8353201E0117F2BE64C9A4A21240

Manned station undergoing crew transfer.

6AA03EC9EC0C9EE24567BC4FD4F0979378986806

Unmanned station undergoing expansion.

9BE3721F8BC5B3AD9D8B40EECA30CB058E525FCF

44319A6EAAF9BABB5E9242C4632E697B3B14ADE5

Shuttle return to KSC and recovered. (Pulled off the runway in case i need to land anything else)

40B2BEE5E5426FEE5E7A3058DCF07EEB4BDACDF0

8A48BB772986DF55AD14033C197E020C1230C98A

Amazed with how the shuttle has come out, best sub-orbital craft i've ever made. Glides and lands like a dream. :cool:

Mostly stock. Did have to add a Ironcross Life Support system. But it just adds color. And it has awesome views from inside the crew cabins. The Space Soylent Green Biscuits taste horrible and the toilet is has problems in low gravity and the MechJeb 2 guided supply ships sometimes slam into it, and it has no protection against alien invaders, solar flares, and space ghosts. But it has a good view.

wbj6u9R.png

<MEGASNIP>

40B2BEE5E5426FEE5E7A3058DCF07EEB4BDACDF0

8A48BB772986DF55AD14033C197E020C1230C98A

Amazed with how the shuttle has come out, best sub-orbital craft i've ever made. Glides and lands like a dream. :cool:

Hey! I know those bays! I believe they are also going to be included in the soon-to-be-released Wolf Pack Aeronautics pack, which I will also be having parts in including a mk 2 fuselage cargo bay and a Duna jet engine (not in this release).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure, the texturing is a bit different than I remember though, different lighting?

That looks like Deep Space 9

[sarcasm]Really? I didn't notice.[/sarcasm]

Actually, that was exactly what I was aiming for.

Deep Space 9 -(Cardassian name)- Terok Nor -(abreviation)- T-Nor -(Kerbalized)- K-Nor

I've already received requests for the .craft In case anybody is interested please let me know by PM.

Used mods: B9 Aerospace, KW Rocketry, Large Structural Components.

Optional mods (probably remove those for a public release): MechJeb, Docking Strut, Flag Decals.

Please note this this is not easy to get into orbit. I sincerely doubt it will survive lift off due to it's shear weight (~175tons) and lack of structural integrity. I 'build' it in orbit using Orbital Construction Redux.

Edit: I've got a .craft online for those that want it. I'll PM you the link on request.

Make sure to install B9 Aerospace, KW Rocketry, Large Structural Components and Docking Strut (the easy to find version on the Spaceport is bugged. Use THIS version).

I've removed MechJeb and Flag Decals as they are not vital.

Edited by Tex_NL

Hi guys, I just finished my space station: KSS Daring.

Parts Count: 421

Total Mass: 287t

Altitude: 400,000m

Inclination: 15 Degrees

Crew: 107

Design: Five Habitation modules form a central spine. Modular construction. From left to right, top to bottom modules are: Chemistry Module, Power Module, Power Module, Fuel and Gas Module, Physics Module, Biology Module, Communications Module, and Greenhouse Module.

Mission: Long Term Planetary Monitoring and sciences including; long term zero G effects on Kerbal kind (biology), detection of gravity waves (physics), and study of interstellar clouds via spectroscopy (chemistry).

The station is designed with long term self sufficiency and expandability goals. Greenhouse module provides food and oxygen and power modules provide electrical power via solar panels.

vBpjivKh.jpg

qQnMsHkh.jpg

l8e4WvIh.jpg

xdJR9y3h.jpg

Just the start of my space station. Fully Stock.

Vonnegut Space Station

Kerbin orbit 160,000 m

Part count currently is in the 400s

yvqd.png

x3zi.png

The bit in the first pic that shows the structural girders was an experiment with making a tug adapter for moving large objects...by having rcs thrusters on the ends it helps balance out the center of mass, but it needs some reworking. I made it too short for one and need another set of girders to extend it just a bit more, plus I need to make it wider or more funnel like as trying to the get girders around an object is tougher than not using the thing at all.

Im toying with the idea of instead of adding another fuel tank for that last sr. docking port to instead add a docking bay of sorts where the tug can reside and also have easy access to it's various adapters.

The only mod I use is Kethane but I have to actually do anything with it. Eventually a processing unit will be added to the bottom.

Edited by McWilleybury