KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Corsair and Seasonic make good PSUs. I've also heard good things about EVGA but can't comment directly on them.

16:10 is going to be hard to find these days.

I can vouch for the quality of EVGA PSUs. I used one in my latest (which happens to be my first...) build, and it's been working like a charm. At least, I haven't had an issue at all with mine yet, which is a 600B 80+ Bronze... your mileage may vary :D

So I'm finally putting together my parts list. The aims of this build:

• Skylake build as a platform for the next five years. I expect to make upgrades but want the core of the system to last.
  • Decent gaming system. I lean towards CPU-heavy games like Cities: Skylines, KSP, and Total War, and I currently play at 1080p.
  • Decent work system capable of handling virtual machines.
  • Reasonably compact. My current PC case is 148x360x439 mm (5.8x14.2x17.3 in) and that's something of a benchmark for me, I don't want significantly larger. I previously ranted about how many "Micro ATX" cases are anything but micro.
  • There's no formal budget but cost is a concern, spending more has to be worth it.
  • Not loud. I'm not after OMG silence but I don't want something intrusive.

Partlist, along with reasons and considered alternatives:

Case: Fractal Design Core 1100. Inexpensive, I like the look, and sensibly sized. No cable routing is a minus but that seems to be the cost of avoiding a fatty case.

Alternatives: Cooler Master 361 fits a full ATX board in an mATX sized case, but there's no front USB3 and I don't like sideways optical drive placement.

CPU: Core i3 6100. I'm a bit cost-conscious so I'm going for what I see as the entry-level Skylake gaming CPU.

Alternatives: The Core i5 6600K is the obvious high-end choice, but is it worth spending another £130 (considering the cooler) on.

Cooler: Stock. It works. Hopefully it won't be too noisy.

Alternatives: Thermaltake Frio Silent 12. Not many 120mm tower coolers will fit in the case, this one should, and one German review reports excellent low noise and OK cooling.

Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S. I want a Z170 board to support a future CPU upgrade, and there are only five or six in mATX size to choose from. Though it's the cheapest the ASRock board has a good range of expansion slots and rear ports. No USB 3.1 is a negative, but if it becomes that important I can add an expansion card.

Alternatives: The Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 adds USB 3.1 and SLI support, but is a big price increase.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-2666. With VMs as a common use 16 GB seems called for, and 2666 MHz seems like a good spot for price/performance.

SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB. Existing drive in my current PC.

HDD: Undecided. I do want a 3TB or larger drive for bulk storage and I'd like it to perform well. Are hybrid drives any good at getting better performance than an ordinary spinning drive?

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce 750 Ti 2GB. Existing card in my current PC.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W. I believe 550W will be enough for virtually any single graphics card in future. The GS is very highly rated.

Operating Systems: Debian Stable and Windows 8. But let's not get distracted by an OS discussion, unless there's a hardware compatibility impact.

PC Part Picker link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/T67x3C

I am in the process of investigating a new PC build to replace my 6+ year old gaming PC. I've been eyeballing the i5 6600K cpu. The trick for me is I would like to try some overclocking, but have never done it before (I have built my last 3 PCs myself, but have been too afraid to screw with OC settings). I don't want to mess with liquid cooling, in fact I was looking at this fan to cool the i5. With that type of setup (and assuming the rest of the case has good air flow), how much of an OC should I consider with that cpu, or should I just leave it alone (or get the non-K version)? I assume it would be worth it to OC the cpu at least a small amount, especially with the K version.

This is for a PC used almost entirely for gaming across a very wide variety of genres.

That's a great cooler for overclocking, but make sure your case can fit it. Overclocking is easier than ever before, nowadays it can be done right in Windows instead of messing with BIOS settings. Make sure you get a Z-series chipset to go with a K series chip and it couldn't be easier.

That's a great cooler for overclocking, but make sure your case can fit it. Overclocking is easier than ever before, nowadays it can be done right in Windows instead of messing with BIOS settings. Make sure you get a Z-series chipset to go with a K series chip and it couldn't be easier.

I figured it must be good considering the review stats it has on Newegg. I will probably have an ATX Z190 MB in a mid tower case, so I expect the fan will fit ok, but I'll be sure to check measurements when I pick out a case. Will the OC software help with determining when you are approaching or going beyond the limits of your cooling? I want some nice performance, but I also want to ensure that the PC lasts a long time.

Here's the rough idea I have for the rest of the parts:

Intel i5 6600K

Z190 ATX MB - something around $120 +/-

16 GB (2x8) DDR4 DRAM - at least 2133

nVidia GTX 970 - probably eVGA

Mid tower ATX case + power supply - will probably buy separate, total of about $110-120

1 TB SSD - Mushkin model seems a good deal

3 TB HDD

Monitor 24-29" still looking, not sure what ideal resolution would be for this setup, at least 1920x1080, maybe better.

windows 10 home 64bit

+ all the usual small stuff (keyboard, mouse, dvd drive, etc.)

Also, with the i5 6600K and a GTX 970, how mant watts of power will my PSU need? I was guessing around 500-600.

Will the OC software help with determining when you are approaching or going beyond the limits of your cooling?

In a sense yes, in that it will likely show temperatures. After finding a setting you like be sure to run it full bore with a benchmark for a long while to make sure the temps don't go nuts.

Also, with the i5 6600K and a GTX 970, how mant watts of power will my PSU need? I was guessing around 500-600.

Shop PSUs by brand first, cheap PSU ratings are, frankly, marketing lies. For a single 970 and not-insane overclock a 500w PSU from a good manufacturer should be fine.

I'm looking at doing some upgrades to my computer. Here's the PCpartpicker link

It will be used mostly for gaming and trying to spend as little as possible.

I have a XFX 7870 and Am looking at getting a MSI 390.(Important)(at most $400)

I'm looking to add another 8gb of RAM to bring the count up to 16gb.(not very important)

And my PSU right now is a 500W and I'm looking to go up to a 600-700W.(if needed)

I'm also looking at a newer IPS monitor to replace my old TN one. (important)(24 inch 1920x1080 / 1920x1200) (about $200)

I am in the process of investigating a new PC build to replace my 6+ year old gaming PC. I've been eyeballing the i5 6600K cpu. The trick for me is I would like to try some overclocking, but have never done it before (I have built my last 3 PCs myself, but have been too afraid to screw with OC settings). I don't want to mess with liquid cooling, in fact I was looking at this fan to cool the i5. With that type of setup (and assuming the rest of the case has good air flow), how much of an OC should I consider with that cpu, or should I just leave it alone (or get the non-K version)? I assume it would be worth it to OC the cpu at least a small amount, especially with the K version.
If it's your first overclock I suggest leaving the voltages alone as well as all the other fancy settings, just keep it simple and see how far you can push the CPU multiplier up. I expect you'll hit around 4.5 GHz. That CPU cooler is very widely used and well regarded. Nowadays air coolers are really good and the advantage of liquid cooling is somewhat reduced.
Monitor 24-29" still looking, not sure what ideal resolution would be for this setup, at least 1920x1080, maybe better.
A GTX 970 will handle 1440p or similar resolutions, but it's not enough performance for 4K gaming so keep that in mind.
That old Sandy Bridge i5 is so expensive compared to its Haswell successor that you could buy a new LGA1150 motherboard with the savings.
I assume briansun1 already has it. But if you are buying an Ivy Bridge CPU I'd have a look for second-hand ones, it's not worth paying over the odds.

If it's your first overclock I suggest leaving the voltages alone as well as all the other fancy settings, just keep it simple and see how far you can push the CPU multiplier up. I expect you'll hit around 4.5 GHz. That CPU cooler is very widely used and well regarded. Nowadays air coolers are really good and the advantage of liquid cooling is somewhat reduced.

A GTX 970 will handle 1440p or similar resolutions, but it's not enough performance for 4K gaming so keep that in mind.

I assume briansun1 already has it. But if you are buying an Ivy Bridge CPU I'd have a look for second-hand ones, it's not worth paying over the odds.

It's what I've already got.

- - - Updated - - -

That old Sandy Bridge i5 is so expensive compared to its Haswell successor that you could buy a new LGA1150 motherboard with the savings.

Was actually surprised by how expensive they were now. Maybe I should sell it or something.

Thanks for the feedback! I just spent the past couple hours to come up with this PC Part List. I selected a 27" 1440p display monitor, but am not certain that is the right one to get, but I know that I want something in the $250-350 price range, 1440p and 27"+. I didn't bother picking the small stuff, but I will need all the peripherals too (mouse, keyboard, etc.) - I'll figure that stuff out later. I'd like to keep the whole thing close to the $1800 range that I've already reached on that list. The PSU is about $79 and the monitor is $269 right now, the pc part list doesn't show those prices.

The case looks pretty good for this build. On Newegg they have a video review of it so I can see all the innards and what to expect.

You guys feel confident that 550W will be sufficient? CoolerMaster has a 650W version of the same series in case I need to bump it up a notch.

Even 450W would be enough with a big margin, this hardware is very efficient and doesnt need much power.

briansun1:

Why the MSI 390? As far as i know the Sapphire version has a way better cooler...

Anyway thanks for the advice before all. I decided that since I've basically been waiting a year to do this build (waiting for Skylake) I may as well go with the good stuff, and my final build is:

Case: Fractal Design Core 1100.

CPU: Core i5 6600K

Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Silent 12.

Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1 Pro-Grade. Nearly forgot the stuff. It's quality non-conductive paste.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5. ASRock's marketing didn't give me much confidence, I decided I'd rather have the Gigabyte board.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-2400. Dropped down a notch on speed to save a little cash.

SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB.

HDD: 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300. I saved a bit of money by going for 3 rather than 4 TB, and opted for the Toshiba based on Backblaze's reliability figures.

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce 750 Ti 2GB.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W.

No optical drive. I had considered getting a Blu-Ray drive, since we have no others at home, but decided to save the money.

Total cost: £600, not including the graphics card and SSD. It would be more like £870 if I had to buy those.

Even 450W would be enough with a big margin, this hardware is very efficient and doesnt need much power.

briansun1:

Why the MSI 390? As far as i know the Sapphire version has a way better cooler...

The MSI is cheaper and it's a company I like and trust.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback! I just spent the past couple hours to come up with this PC Part List. I selected a 27" 1440p display monitor, but am not certain that is the right one to get, but I know that I want something in the $250-350 price range, 1440p and 27"+. I didn't bother picking the small stuff, but I will need all the peripherals too (mouse, keyboard, etc.) - I'll figure that stuff out later. I'd like to keep the whole thing close to the $1800 range that I've already reached on that list. The PSU is about $79 and the monitor is $269 right now, the pc part list doesn't show those prices.

The case looks pretty good for this build. On Newegg they have a video review of it so I can see all the innards and what to expect.

You guys feel confident that 550W will be sufficient? CoolerMaster has a 650W version of the same series in case I need to bump it up a notch.

I would get a better PSU one from Corsair, Seasonic, or EVGA. I'd also get a nicer case. Maybe something like a NZXT 630. Don't know about the monitor, but I've never heard of QNIX.

I would get a better PSU one from Corsair, Seasonic, or EVGA. I'd also get a nicer case. Maybe something like a NZXT 630. Don't know about the monitor, but I've never heard of QNIX.

I searched for PSUs based on this link that someone posted in a different thread: http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg, and according to that the CoolerMaster V series is in the top group and it is right around the price I feel comfortable with.

For the case I don't care as much about the appearance, I care mostly about the ease of installation and the quality of the air flow. I'd prefer a mid tower over a full tower and the one I selected is $100 less than the one you mentioned.

I've never heard of QNIX either, but it had good reviews on Newegg and apparently uses Samsung PLS panels, whatever that means. I'm still looking at monitors though, I may want to visit some local stores to look at them in person to help me choose, but I'll still buy it online.

I searched for PSUs based on this link that someone posted in a different thread: http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg, and according to that the CoolerMaster V series is in the top group and it is right around the price I feel comfortable with.

For the case I don't care as much about the appearance, I care mostly about the ease of installation and the quality of the air flow. I'd prefer a mid tower over a full tower and the one I selected is $100 less than the one you mentioned.

I've never heard of QNIX either, but it had good reviews on Newegg and apparently uses Samsung PLS panels, whatever that means. I'm still looking at monitors though, I may want to visit some local stores to look at them in person to help me choose, but I'll still buy it online.

The case you choose won't be very easy to do cable management in since the area behind the motherboard looks rather small.

Looking at the Monitors in person is a good idea.

The PSU is not somewhere you want to skimp money on. Because if that goes everything else does too. That picture is also a bit wonky.

Do you really need a one TB ssd? What are you using the computer for?

The case you choose won't be very easy to do cable management in since the area behind the motherboard looks rather small.

Looking at the Monitors in person is a good idea.

The PSU is not somewhere you want to skimp money on. Because if that goes everything else does too. That picture is also a bit wonky.

Do you really need a one TB ssd? What are you using the computer for?

How about either of these two cases then:

Fractal Design Define R4

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D

I would probably lean toward the Corsair one for having what looks like better air flow, but the Fractal one looks like it would be super quiet which would be nice too.

I'm also looking at a different PSU which had a good review at TomsHardware:

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2

For the storage, I was looking at a 1 TB SSD mostly because I would want to install all my applications and games on it (my steam library is 100+ games, and I have more non-steam games in addition to that), and then use a regular HDD for data storage (photo, audio, video, etc.). This is mostly just a gaming computer, but I can see myself doing some video editing or streaming for game related stuff later on - this is why I wanted the separate big storage 3 TB HDD which is relatively cheap anyway.

How about either of these two cases then:

Fractal Design Define R4

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D

I would probably lean toward the Corsair one for having what looks like better air flow, but the Fractal one looks like it would be super quiet which would be nice too.

I'm also looking at a different PSU which had a good review at TomsHardware:

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2

For the storage, I was looking at a 1 TB SSD mostly because I would want to install all my applications and games on it (my steam library is 100+ games, and I have more non-steam games in addition to that), and then use a regular HDD for data storage (photo, audio, video, etc.). This is mostly just a gaming computer, but I can see myself doing some video editing or streaming for game related stuff later on - this is why I wanted the separate big storage 3 TB HDD which is relatively cheap anyway.

The Corsair one will in general run cooler but louder while the Fractal Design one will run softer but hotter. I'd take the Corsair since the noise levels won't be much anyway. SSDs are still rather expensive right now so I wouldn't recommend a 1tb one for your budget I'd get something like 250 or 500gb. Here's one I put together.

It has a better motherboard, slightly better RAM, A better GPU, a good PSU(yes it's 750W but it's cheaper than the 550W), and a smaller but faster SSD.

The Corsair one will in general run cooler but louder while the Fractal Design one will run softer but hotter. I'd take the Corsair since the noise levels won't be much anyway. SSDs are still rather expensive right now so I wouldn't recommend a 1tb one for your budget I'd get something like 250 or 500gb. Here's one I put together.

It has a better motherboard, slightly better RAM, A better GPU, a good PSU(yes it's 750W but it's cheaper than the 550W), and a smaller but faster SSD.

Haha, I see you changed the video card to AMD. Everyone seems to prefer one or the other about the same way that we Americans vote republican or democrat.

I have no idea how soon I'll be able to make my purchase, and I expect a lot of possible price fluctuation almost daily, so it's good to have multiple options for each item in case one of them is on sale at the right time. I'm hoping to place an order later this week, but it may be next week before the money is available.

My biggest worry about a smaller SSD would be choosing which games to install on it and which to put on the HDD. I know the main benefit of the SSD is the OS, but with the 1 TB size I'm pretty sure I could fit the vast majority of my games on it. I'll have to think on that some more.

Also, regardless of which case I choose, I will likely buy a couple extra fans to help with the air flow. Each case only comes with 2 or 3 but has slots for around 7.

Something you may need to watch out for: I noticed the price of the Core i5 6600K has spiked in the last few days and it seems like there may be a shortage. I got it for £200, the same as it was around launch, but I've no idea when mine will arrive. Some retailers have pushed the price up to £220 or even £250 and on some sites the processor is completely absent.

I'll keep an eye on it, unfortunately I am stuck until the money arrives and I don't know exactly when that will be - it's a gift coming from someone else. I'm too broke to buy it before the rest of the PC parts. The price for the i5 6600K has been the same and in stock on Newegg for the past few days, holding at $269. Before a few days ago, I hadn't looked at PC part prices in over 6 years.