KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Ok, I'll just get the people at Fry's to help me. But what are some good specs for a RSS/RO build?

While technically it is possible to build a laptop from "scratch," just know that it will generally be a lot more expensive than a desktop.

Assuming you get all the components, and they match, and they fit in the case, it will take a while to install. Unless you have the ability to do this yourself, it's going to cost you a bit of money and time. If you take it to Fry's it may take them a few weeks. For reference, my brother's computer needed a new hard drive, so he took it to Fry's. It took them 3 weeks to do it. 3 weeks to install a new hard drive. That's a process that shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, if that.

If money is no object and you've got loads of time, by all means, go for it. But generally you'll have to choose between high power and mobility. Having both is prohibitively expensive.

As for specs to RSS/RO, I'm not truly sure.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Don't forget to factor in board price. I missed out on an OCUK socket 2011 bundle and getting a reasonably priced board since has proven difficult. This goes for socket 1151 as well. Socket 1150, having been around longer, has the best deals. Amazon Warehouse is a useful source for quality used items like motherboards.

Thanks for adding that, people always forget that one. You really need to look at the total platform, not just the CPU.

When it comes to 6700K versus 4790K: yes, the new chip is not that much faster when compared to the price, but the newer socket means newer motherboards, new memory and lots of other new goodies. While the current gains might be slim, the new platform means using your hardware a bit longer in the future. We know DDR3 will be going away in the next years and it is really rather nice to have things like M.2 slots to make the most out of SSDs and other hardware.

If you are strapped for cash you might opt for the older hardware, but there are compelling reasons to go for the new stuff, even if it is relatively expensive.

Did you try to measure anything? That is the best way of finding out what is the problem in your system. Measure CPU usage while gaming, measure GPU usage and compare.

We could guess at possible causes, but if you are going to spend money, you would better make sure.

So disaster struck my computer this weekend... while I was away at work, apparently my dog got into my room and managed to knock my computer off the desk, three feet to the (thankfully carpeted) floor.

Front panel popped off almost completely, but didn't see any cracks, fractures, or scorch marks on any of the parts. I had recently helped a friend order and build a Newegg bundle, so I took my computer over there and start swapping out parts to determine which was affected. The HDD, despite being closest to the point of impact (and being one of the more fragile parts) was apparently unaffected. The GPU (thankfully) was also undamaged. The only parts I couldn't determine were the Mobo and CPU. Taking it to a computer shop would mean spending more than it would be to just order new parts, so... I ordered new parts. The Mobo is pretty similar to my old one (both are MSI) but the new CPU is a bit of an upgrade.

TL;DR: Replaced my FX-4100 (Quad-core, 3.6gHz) with an FX-4350 (Quad-core, 4.2gHz). Will there be any noticeable improvement to my KSP performance?

Alright, I have my goal for a final build. I just need a motherboard, PSU, optical drive, and case. I don't really know how to choose those, so could one of you amazing people here finish this build? (going for inexpensive)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j6BcD3

Are you sure you need an optical drive? If you don't here's a build. I would recommend an AMD GPU though. At this price point amd is slightly better then Nvidia.

- - - Updated - - -

It's more about a reputable brand. I've had good experience with Seasonic and Corsair, there are probably others, too. Just avoid the cheap no-name ones and you should do fine.

I've heard good things about EVGA too.

According to my research today, from multiple tests from other people, the EVGA GTX 960 is better than the GTX 760, and a benchmark using the FX-6350 with the R9 270x and GTX 760 showed better performance from the GTX 760. The 280X was similar, and 290X was much better. For the $180 price, I can't see a AMD card being better than the EVGA GTX 960.

I could be wrong though. Please correct me if I am. :)