KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

For 960 vs 280x the 280x is slightly better while being about the same price.

For the 960 vs 270x the 270x is just cheaper while being only a bit slower.

The benchmarks you linked show that they are similar. Sometimes the 280x is better, sometimes the 960 is better.

The 960 has a faster clock speed, the 280x has another GB. Which would really matter for just regular gaming?

I'm assuming that "Bronze rated" and "Gold rated" Are considered "good manufacturers?"
That is probably referring to the 80 Plus certification scheme. Its a certification of efficiency in normal use, but says little if anything about other important aspects of a power supply.

The benchmarks you linked show that they are similar. Sometimes the 280x is better, sometimes the 960 is better.

The 960 has a faster clock speed, the 280x has another GB. Which would really matter for just regular gaming?

I'd say that the extra gb will do more than a faster clock, but it depends on what game you'r playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I have further refined my build. Can you guys check it out and make sure it will work well?

And also tell me if the case with PSU is a bad idea. It saves me a lot of money, but would it be trustworthy enough?

General no. It's a really bad idea.

Yeah, on some server mainboards you can install 2 or even more CPUs. But that stuff is extremly expensive and useless for normal users.

Servers, workstations, clusters - you name it. Very useful if you need large amounts of horsepower. Think 3D rendering, CAD simulation, calculations on medical datasets and stuff like that. It can be done by a consumer, the bottom rung is not unrealistically expensive, though you certainly need to commit.

You are right that it is useless for most consumers, but most consumers do not even need a quad core. Almost everyone vastly overestimates the calculative power they actually use. A dual core is plenty for most.

I'd say that the extra gb will do more than a faster clock, but it depends on what game you'r playing.

Well I switched to a GTX 750 Ti anyways for price savings.

General no. It's a really bad idea.

Just the PSU? Or the whole build? I was hoping for a more in depth response so I can move forward with the build and change things.

Just the PSU? Or the whole build? I was hoping for a more in depth response so I can move forward with the build and change things.

Tip of the day: buy a good PSU from a known and decent brand. I have explained so many times before it is one of the most essential parts of a PC. Do not bother spending money on anything before you take care of that.

Oop. Totally forgot the link. One second.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the new build link. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rnPVvK

I guess ignore the case+PSU. I need a case that has 1 (preferably 2) internal 2.5" bays, 4 internal 3.5" bays, and at least one external 5.25" bay.

Edited by Endersmens

The CPU change makes the whole machine 30$ cheaper, which accommodates the PSU and the case quite nicely, especially considering the good psu. Also, the RAM on that build is 2 sticks instead of one. That will make the whole machine a lot faster because 2 4 gb is better than 1 8 gb. Twice the speed. Also, the CPU is exactly 4.8% worse in benchmarks. And, with a simple overclock to 3.9 ghz it is just as fast as the 6350 for less.

- - - Updated - - -

And, the motherboard has 4 slots, for 4 8 gb items or 4 4 gb sticks if you want 32 or 16 respectively. It maxes at 32:)

That case won't work, I need at least 1 internal 2.5" bay for my SDD. Other than that the build is looking pretty complete.

Case needs: at least one 5.25" external bay for optical drive

at least one internal 2.5" bay for my SDD

at least 4 internal 3.5" bay's for other stuff

I have no idea what else to look for in a case, so could someone help? Just find a case that will work with the above requirements and this build. Thanks!

Also, is the build complete? Or is there something missing? (besides the case)

I've been considering linux to save me $100, but I'm not sure if it will be worth all the confusion.

Come to the Linux side, we have stable 64-bit and cookies.

I should mention that that CPU has more cores than I would recommend. Multi-threading probably won't use all 6 :D

Also, get another 8 gigs of ram. Slower if you need. I'm running into the hard RAM cap with Soundtrack editor and no enviro/aesthetics mods.

Come to the Linux side, we have stable 64-bit and cookies.

I should mention that that CPU has more cores than I would recommend. Multi-threading probably won't use all 6 :D

Also, get another 8 gigs of ram. Slower if you need. I'm running into the hard RAM cap with Soundtrack editor and no enviro/aesthetics mods.

It's not a KSP build. It's a modern gaming build, with a side of rendering. (which will use all 6 cores to the brim)

Also, RAM will increase when my funds increase. :P

That case won't work, I need at least 1 internal 2.5" bay for my SDD. Other than that the build is looking pretty complete.

Case needs: at least one 5.25" external bay for optical drive

at least one internal 2.5" bay for my SDD

at least 4 internal 3.5" bay's for other stuff

I have no idea what else to look for in a case, so could someone help? Just find a case that will work with the above requirements and this build. Thanks!

Also, is the build complete? Or is there something missing? (besides the case)

You don't have to have a 2.5 bay. SSD's will fit just fine in a 3.5. You could always go to G2A for you keys.