Parts for re-usability?

1 hour ago, CyanAstro said:

Some procedural grid fins would be nice for landing boosters and spacecraft on atmospheric bodies. SpaceX-style large landing legs would also be nice.

I'm sure that as SpaceX launches their Starship for the first time (Maybe mid-to-late 2023?), KSP will definitely have new parts added related to reusability, if not incorporating parts for re-usability when the game releases in early access already.

Personally, in terms of reusable parts, I'm hoping for Convair Nexus airbrakes / huge aerospike. Current "A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S" are alright, but I'd love to have some huge ones.

I swear to god, if people are just going to tell me to use tweakscale...

Edited by intelliCom

Well, we know for sure that there are 4 landing pads for rocket to land on, so landing legs and airbrakes/grid fins should be in game. We're already see the new giant landing legs. 

If they are putting reusability in the game, then they probably are putting in some form of FMRS system, or at least making the despawn range a lot longer. 

On 11/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, intelliCom said:

I'm sure that as SpaceX launches their Starship for the first time (Maybe mid-to-late 2023?), KSP will definitely have new parts added related to reusability, if not incorporating parts for re-usability when the game releases in early access already. snake game

Personally, in terms of reusable parts, I'm hoping for Convair Nexus airbrakes / huge aerospike. Current "A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S" are alright, but I'd love to have some huge ones.

I swear to god, if people are just going to tell me to use tweakscale...

Can you introduce for me some name of this type.

• 3 months later...

Here's what Nate Simpson said about adding real-world rocket parts/analogs:

"...for our game we're not putting any real-world engines or rockets I think at least at this point, I would be very excited if partnerships like that emerged in the future..."

Source (from 15:28 - 16:10): 

So maybe we'll get SpaceX parts if KSP2 partners with SpaceX for an update like KSP1's Shared Horizons update.  Or KSP2 might do a DLC like Making History that has irl rocket parts.  Will these parts be in the game in Early Access, certainly not, probably not even in 1.0 release.

Parts like this will probably only be available through mods.  Similar performance can be obtained by using the A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E. part (which IIRC, is not part of the first EA drop??).  However, I am more interested in how they will handle ejected stages.  In KSP1, if you put parachutes that autoarm when you disconnect spent boosters doesn't help, the boosters die because they are not under control.  I'd like to see that change...I dont think a control node is necessary on every booster, nor the need to control it.  They should implement the method that was developed in a KSP1 mod (cant remember the name), but if a booster has parachutes that can handle the terminal velocity, and thermal re-entry is not an issue, then those boosters should be able to be recovered.  Yeah, re-useability should certainly be a focus of KSP2, as re-useability is the key to humans getting to the stars.

Edited by dansiegel30