Community Laythe Space Station Challenge

Inspired by many Community Space Station challenges (such as this one by @Jeb-head-mug kerman from two years ago), I decided to give it a try myself. Only THIS TIME, the challenge is to assemble a station... OVER LAYTHE.

The objective is simple: build one large space station over Laythe using one save file (link below). Feel free to add as many different modules as you want.

Game save HERE

The rules are as follows:

• PURE STOCK
    • No DLCs
    • No Mods
      • If you have to use MJ, use MechJeb2 Embedded as well so that the program is automatically embedded in the control modules and you won't have to use the modded part.
  • You must use KSP version 1.12.4
  • No cheats
  • One module per mission
  • Leave a docking port open for others to use
  • Post pictures and/or video
  • When you're all done, post a link to the new game save in your post so that the person after you can use it (just like in previous community challenges).
  • To prevent confusion due to two (or more) kerbalnauts posting different, non-sequential game save files, please "claim" the save file so that everyone knows you're flying with it before posting the new one.
    • HOWEVER, once you claim it, you have a maximum of 24 hours to respond with the new station save file (and pictures of what to expect, of course).
    • I highly suggest you test your delivery rocket in a separate Sandbox mode save before deploying it in this one
      • e.g. Johnny sends his battery to Laythe in "Johnny's Test Sandbox" and, once confirming its success, claims the "Kerbalnational Laythe Station" save file and sends the battery module to the already-assembled station. He then posts the new save file and pictures within 24 hours of claiming.
  • If you have any questions about the rules or if the link's not working, let me know at once.

All you have to do is download the game file and put in your game's saves folder. When you start "Kerbalnational Laythe Station," design your module and send it to Laythe. After that, upload the new save file to whatever file sharing service you're using (mega, Google Drive, etc) so that the next person can use it with the expanded station.

I have already built the first module, and boy was it a doozy to make. All worth the time and effort in the end, though, and I have several docking ports ready - including a big one. Here are the orbital characteristics of the final product, which I know you all will need when you rendezvous with the station.

TmfjBdQ.png

But before I show you my pictures, here are the action groups I set up. Keep all this in mind for when you make your modules.

1. Gigantor panels
    1. DO NOT DEPLOY until you ditch the delivery rocket.
  2. Ladders
  3. Start research
  4. Stop research
  5. Collect all science for lab
  6. 1x6 panels
    1. Handy for the trip there.
  7. Science 
  8. Kerbnet (from the probe core)
  9.  - EMPTY -
  10. Communotron 88-88 (100G direct antenna)
    1. ABSOLUTELY DEPLOY before leaving Kerbin.

And now, our feature presentation. Have fun, everybody.

O57H2bP.png

• The finished product in orbit of Laythe.
  • I decided to do a different ring station design from my tried-and-true Jool ring station for the challenge.

a2Sx9tJ.png

• The assembled product in the VAB
    • 9,228 m/s delta-V
    • 71 crew capacity 
  • Four or five of the cargo slots already come filled (EVA kits, repair kits, jetpack fuel), but you'll be amazed at the cargo capacity.
    • I have plans to post this craft file separately when the challenge dies out or from popular demand (whichever comes first), so you can transport several collections of Breaking Ground DLC science gear for future Laythe missions. At the very least, it can serve as an orbital storage facility.

KgcU9VB.png

• The station blasting off.
  • To save dV while maintaining structural integrity (preventing wobbling-related damage), I set the angle-of-attack limit in the ascent guidance to 60 degrees. Throughout the course of the ascent, whenever the craft seemed to fly in a stable manner, I decreased the limit in 10-degree increments until finally reaching 20 degrees.
    • I don't know what setting it at 20 degrees from the start will do, but I'm guessing that you need to reach certain speeds before getting a low AoA so that the station doesn't wobble so easily.

1wZeQD3.png

• The nuclear rockets making their burn to Jool.

GqzGs5D.png

• As a dV-saving measure, two of the rockets had their tanks drain first. Once that was over, they were basically dead weight and could be ditched. 

X8v0Vl8.png

• Once I reached Jool's SOI, I set a "fine tune approach to target" maneuver so I can go directly to Laythe (as opposed to setting up a parking orbit around Jool before making a Hohmann transfer to Laythe). This is the craft approaching the planet.

8L2utv8.png

• Setting up my orbit with plenty of dV to spare.
  • Poor Sherbart, cast away to spend his life alone in that large station.
    • But a pilot was necessary in the event that the CommNet signal was lost.
    • You can send him friends in subsequent missions.

OHWN6Lj.png

• While the space station is enjoying its time in stable orbit, the remote-controlled delivery rocket is making a suborbital trajectory for self-destruction on Laythe. It had fulfilled its purpose, and it was nothing but space junk at this point.

"SEE YOU ALL ON LAYTHE!" (Sherbart Kerman)

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
Added "24-hour claim" rule to minimize confusion

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2022 at 4:46 AM, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Inspired by many Community Space Station challenges (such as this one by @Jeb-head-mug kerman from two years ago), I decided to give it a try myself. Only THIS TIME, the challenge is to assemble a station... OVER LAYTHE.

The objective is simple: build one large space station over Laythe using one save file (link below). Feel free to add as many different modules as you want.

Game save HERE

The rules are as follows:

• PURE STOCK
    • No DLCs
    • No Mods
      • If you have to use MJ, use MechJeb2 Embedded as well so that the program is automatically embedded in the control modules and you won't have to use the modded part.
  • You must use KSP version 1.12.4
  • No cheats
  • One module per mission
  • Leave a docking port open for others to use
  • Post pictures and/or video
  • When you're all done, post a link to the new game save in your post so that the person after you can use it (just like in previous community challenges).
  • To prevent confusion due to two (or more) kerbalnauts posting different, non-sequential game save files, please "claim" the save file so that everyone knows you're flying with it before posting the new one.
    • HOWEVER, once you claim it, you have a maximum of 24 hours to respond with the new station save file (and pictures of what to expect, of course).
    • I highly suggest you test your delivery rocket in a separate Sandbox mode save before deploying it in this one
      • e.g. Johnny sends his battery to Laythe in "Johnny's Test Sandbox" and, once confirming its success, claims the "Kerbalnational Laythe Station" save file and sends the battery module to the already-assembled station. He then posts the new save file and pictures within 24 hours of claiming.
  • If you have any questions about the rules or if the link's not working, let me know at once.

All you have to do is download the game file and put in your game's saves folder. When you start "Kerbalnational Laythe Station," design your module and send it to Laythe. After that, upload the new save file to whatever file sharing service you're using (mega, Google Drive, etc) so that the next person can use it with the expanded station.

I have already built the first module, and boy was it a doozy to make. All worth the time and effort in the end, though, and I have several docking ports ready - including a big one. Here are the orbital characteristics of the final product, which I know you all will need when you rendezvous with the station.

TmfjBdQ.png

But before I show you my pictures, here are the action groups I set up. Keep all this in mind for when you make your modules.

1. Gigantor panels
    1. DO NOT DEPLOY until you ditch the delivery rocket.
  2. Ladders
  3. Start research
  4. Stop research
  5. Collect all science for lab
  6. 1x6 panels
    1. Handy for the trip there.
  7. Science 
  8. Kerbnet (from the probe core)
  9.  - EMPTY -
  10. Communotron 88-88 (100G direct antenna)
    1. ABSOLUTELY DEPLOY before leaving Kerbin.

And now, our feature presentation. Have fun, everybody.

O57H2bP.png

• The finished product in orbit of Laythe.
  • I decided to do a different ring station design from my tried-and-true Jool ring station for the challenge.

a2Sx9tJ.png

• The assembled product in the VAB
    • 9,228 m/s delta-V
    • 71 crew capacity 
  • Four or five of the cargo slots already come filled (EVA kits, repair kits, jetpack fuel), but you'll be amazed at the cargo capacity.
    • I have plans to post this craft file separately when the challenge dies out or from popular demand (whichever comes first), so you can transport several collections of Breaking Ground DLC science gear for future Laythe missions. At the very least, it can serve as an orbital storage facility.

KgcU9VB.png

• The station blasting off.
  • To save dV while maintaining structural integrity (preventing wobbling-related damage), I set the angle-of-attack limit in the ascent guidance to 60 degrees. Throughout the course of the ascent, whenever the craft seemed to fly in a stable manner, I decreased the limit in 10-degree increments until finally reaching 20 degrees.
    • I don't know what setting it at 20 degrees from the start will do, but I'm guessing that you need to reach certain speeds before getting a low AoA so that the station doesn't wobble so easily.

1wZeQD3.png

• The nuclear rockets making their burn to Jool.

GqzGs5D.png

• As a dV-saving measure, two of the rockets had their tanks drain first. Once that was over, they were basically dead weight and could be ditched. 

X8v0Vl8.png

• Once I reached Jool's SOI, I set a "fine tune approach to target" maneuver so I can go directly to Laythe (as opposed to setting up a parking orbit around Jool before making a Hohmann transfer to Laythe). This is the craft approaching the planet.

8L2utv8.png

• Setting up my orbit with plenty of dV to spare.
  • Poor Sherbart, cast away to spend his life alone in that large station.
    • But a pilot was necessary in the event that the CommNet signal was lost.
    • You can send him friends in subsequent missions.

OHWN6Lj.png

• While the space station is enjoying its time in stable orbit, the remote-controlled delivery rocket is making a suborbital trajectory for self-destruction on Laythe. It had fulfilled its purpose, and it was nothing but space junk at this point.

"SEE YOU ALL ON LAYTHE!" (Sherbart Kerman)

Might try this out, even though it sat dead here for a while. I might send my new Sparrow dropship, for exploring the other moons. Is it OK if I don't have a free port on it, because it's meant as a support ship? Or should I also have a docking arm module for it?

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 7:15 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

I might send my new Sparrow dropship, for exploring the other moons. Is it OK if I don't have a free port on it, because it's meant as a support ship?

Sorry for the delayed response, but I suppose a dropship for moon exploration would be useful. I'd love to see the Sparrow.

That being said, a separate launch for a station part would also be welcome. Maybe you can send both ships at once in a fleet.

41 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Sorry for the delayed response, but I suppose a dropship for moon exploration would be useful. I'd love to see the Sparrow.

That being said, a separate launch for a station part would also be welcome. Maybe you can send both ships at once in a fleet.

It’s kinda late now, with a mission I’m racing to get down and KSP2 just around the corner. The Sparrow should be somewhere on the forums, though. I’ll grab a link to it.

Here it is. I had a mark 2 version in progress, which dropped the ISRU for more crew capacity and thrust, but it will sit incomplete for a long time.

Edited by SkyFall2489

2 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

with a mission I’m racing to get down and KSP2 just around the corner.

Who said KSP1 is dead as soon as KSP2 comes out? I'm still going to play it.

• Besides, I'd rather wait a while and see if it's worth the hype before I spend money on it. 
Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.