Radial/bare liquid hydrogen tank variations

I've been reading a bit recently about the Copernicus-B, one of the most well known Mars transfer vehicle designs, and its relatives. See here:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20140017461/downloads/20140017461.pdf

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php#borowski

Orion_docked_to_Mars_Transfer_Vehicle.jp

These designs seem to have directly influenced KSP2's liquid hydrogen tank design, with the gold foil tanks and surrounding truss structure.

mGOxn57.png

This is a very cool look for these tanks. However, what we haven't seen is a radial, trussless variant, and I think this is very important. On the Copernicus-B, this tank isn't fully surrounded by the truss. Instead it's connected to a "saddle truss", which leaves one side of the truss open so that the tank can be jettisoned after use. This allows the craft to carry a single inline drop tank, whereas drop tanks must traditionally come in radial pairs to balance center of mass.

ujdWyfe.png

There are also a few related designs that instead use a "star truss" to attach four drop tanks radially.

DrbBHHP.jpg

I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to not include a "bare" variant of the hydrogen tank in KSP2. The version we've seen so far looks great for inline usage, but doesn't seem ideal for use as a drop tank.  We've even seen a saddle truss in KSP2 already, here:

sATGzIB.png

There's no good way to use this in combination with the existing KSP2 tank, but a trussless variant could easily be attached to the inside via a decoupler or docking port. Such a variant could perhaps have slightly less mass but no inline attachment points. It could also be fun to have a star truss available for usage, though I imagine the applications of this would be far more limited.

It's entirely possible that this is already in the game, but we've seen quite a few craft using LH2 tanks and I feel like we likely would have seen it by now. To my knowledge we haven't seen any part variants in general, so I'm wondering if that system even still exists in KSP2.

• 2 weeks later...

ci7yAH7.png

This craft from the new trailer shows radially attached hydrogen tanks, and they're still enclosed within a truss, so it seems like I was right that there is no bare variant currently in the game. It also seems to have structural panels instead of radiators, but that's a different topic. I think this craft is a good example of where a bare variant would be nice, the truss structure here feels out of place for radially attached tanks, especially if they're drop tanks (I can't tell if they're attached to decouplers or not here).