Manual IVA patch help

SmugglingParts

On 2/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, SmugglingParts said:

Hi, i have a simple modding question;

let's say i love the soyuz pods from Tantares, but i would love to use the ivas from ASET IVA for Making History Pods to play full IVA Soyuz

can i manually change the script from Tantares so that i can play with the interiors of the other mod?

Any help?

Thanks!

Questions like this really belong in KSP1 General Mod Development Help and Support - but I'll answer (as I wrote Reviva which does this kind of thing).

You'll need two pieces of info:

1. The name of the Tantares command part you want to modify. Look in GameData for Tantares in it's .cfg files for the right command pod, look for PART name = xxxx near the top.
  2. The name of the INTERNAL node in the ASET IVA from Making History pod you want to use. Look in GameData/HonkHogan for the INTERNAL name = xxx you want to use.

Then make a .cfg file somewhere in GameData (in your own personal sub-directory is best), the name of the file can be whatever you want, but it'll have something like this in it:

@PART[TantaresPartNameHere]:NEEDS[HonkHogan]
{
	@INTERNAL {
		@name = KV1_IVA
	}
}

Replace TantaresPartNameHere and possibly KV1_IVA.

This script basically says: "modify the tantares part with name, but only if ASET IVA (HonkHogan is the top level GameData name for it), and then edit the INTERNAL to point to the ASET IVA name.

If you want to get fancy, then should install Reviva, and provide a config for the Tantares part. Look at configs like this one:

like https://github.com/harveyt/reviva/blob/main/GameData/Reviva/MakingHistory/kv1pod.cfg

That'll be a bit trickier to get right though.

18 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Questions like this really belong in KSP1 General Mod Development Help and Support - but I'll answer (as I wrote Reviva which does this kind of thing).

You'll need two pieces of info:

1. The name of the Tantares command part you want to modify. Look in GameData for Tantares in it's .cfg files for the right command pod, look for PART name = xxxx near the top.
  2. The name of the INTERNAL node in the ASET IVA from Making History pod you want to use. Look in GameData/HonkHogan for the INTERNAL name = xxx you want to use.

Then make a .cfg file somewhere in GameData (in your own personal sub-directory is best), the name of the file can be whatever you want, but it'll have something like this in it:

@PART[TantaresPartNameHere]:NEEDS[HonkHogan]
{
	@INTERNAL {
		@name = KV1_IVA
	}
}

Replace TantaresPartNameHere and possibly KV1_IVA.

This script basically says: "modify the tantares part with name, but only if ASET IVA (HonkHogan is the top level GameData name for it), and then edit the INTERNAL to point to the ASET IVA name.

If you want to get fancy, then should install Reviva, and provide a config for the Tantares part. Look at configs like this one:

like https://github.com/harveyt/reviva/blob/main/GameData/Reviva/MakingHistory/kv1pod.cfg

That'll be a bit trickier to get right though.

Many thanks for the reply! First post here on the forum 

Well it looks doable, i will consider doing a patch for Tantares if it's ok for the community 

2 hours ago, SmugglingParts said:

Many thanks for the reply! First post here on the forum 

Well it looks doable, i will consider doing a patch for Tantares if it's ok for the community 

Welcome to the forums! And welcome to modding too!

Patches always welcome, you should probably start with the easiest, a simple ModuleManager cfg file patch that you can post into the Tantares forum post.

If you want to get fancy, you could then try to extend it to be supported by Reviva: the ASET IVA and KSA IVA packs (the newest ones that have been adopted) both provide Reviva config, so you should look there. Reviva allows players to chose an IVA at runtime (in the editor or even while in flight), that way you could have the default or ASET (or others if you can find any, check the Reviva GitHub README). Again the preference would be for a MM cfg file posted to Tantares, the authors may then include it. You could get super fancy and use a GitHub Pull Request. Depends on how familiar you are with such things, and how much time you have.

The alternative (less preferable) is to add support to Reviva itself, again a GitHub PR would be best. It's better for IVA mods to support Reviva than the other way around.

If you ever go down the Reviva supported route, feel free to ask on the Reviva mod forum post for help.

Just now, 610yesnolovely said:

Welcome to the forums! And welcome to modding too!

Patches always welcome, you should probably start with the easiest, a simple ModuleManager cfg file patch that you can post into the Tantares forum post.

If you want to get fancy, you could then try to extend it to be supported by Reviva: the ASET IVA and KSA IVA packs (the newest ones that have been adopted) both provide Reviva config, so you should look there. Reviva allows players to chose an IVA at runtime (in the editor or even while in flight), that way you could have the default or ASET (or others if you can find any, check the Reviva GitHub README). Again the preference would be for a MM cfg file posted to Tantares, the authors may then include it. You could get super fancy and use a GitHub Pull Request. Depends on how familiar you are with such things, and how much time you have.

The alternative (less preferable) is to add support to Reviva itself, again a GitHub PR would be best. It's better for IVA mods to support Reviva than the other way around.

If you ever go down the Reviva supported route, feel free to ask on the Reviva mod forum post for help.

Hi! I tried to make a basic patch with the script you suggested me, but it doesn't work. I still have Tantares IVA in my pods

folder structure: GameData/TantaresIvaPatch/Parts/(patches.cfg here)

i made one cfg. file for every pod

i checked with kos "change name tag" function in VAB in order to check that i was pointing to the right pods.

my script is:

@PART[_tantares_orbital_module_s1_1]:NEEDS[HonkHogan]
{
    @INTERNAL {
        @name = KV3_ASET_IVA_Internal
    }
}

i replaced "KV1_IVA" from your example with "KV3_ASET_IVA_Internal" since this is the module that HankHogan is using (KV1_IVA is stock one right?)

Question1: maybe the flag :NEEDS[HonkHogan] is not enough?

Question2: Is it possible that i need to indicate some sort of mod order to it? Maybe i need to say the system to overwrite Tantares' IVA?

Question3:i see from DE_IVA Extension that the flag :AFTER[JSI] is needed, i tried to put that flag as well but is not working.

I also see from HonkHogan mod that the code includes this:

MODULE
        {
            name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
            storedStrings = v 0.0.1.0|12.08.2019|    KV-1 'Onion' Reentry Module   |  A.S.E.T.
            // = (0)<version> |(1) <date> |(2) <name for MFD STBY screen & Flight Books. 18 char max>| (3,4)<full name (2 lines)> |(5) < version of flight books, manuals...>|(6) <short name> |(7) Company
            triggeredEvents = ALCOR_CALLRECOVERYTEAM|ASET_AUTO_GEAR_DOWN_EVENT
        }
}

any idea?

thanks!

2 hours ago, SmugglingParts said:

i replaced "KV1_IVA" from your example with "KV3_ASET_IVA_Internal" since this is the module that HankHogan is using (KV1_IVA is stock one right?)

Question1: maybe the flag :NEEDS[HonkHogan] is not enough?

Question2: Is it possible that i need to indicate some sort of mod order to it? Maybe i need to say the system to overwrite Tantares' IVA?

Question3:i see from DE_IVA Extension that the flag :AFTER[JSI] is needed, i tried to put that flag as well but is not working.

I also see from HonkHogan mod that the code includes this [snip]

Q0: Yes, that's correct IVA internal name.

Q1/Q2/Q3: Yes possibly you need :AFTER[xxx] (where xxx is the Tantares mod name) or for now try adding :FINAL (only recommended for personal patches). 

Q4: Ahah, well you definitely need to add that, otherwise RPM won't be able to run. Put that inside the whole @PART block verbatim, as it's a new module (add, not edit).

One way to see what's going on is to look at ModuleManager.ConfigCache, it's a big file so you need a decent editor, but once its loaded, search for the part and it shows you what MM has done in totality. Often that helps understand what didn't work.

Oh and welcome to modding, it's entirely normal to spend hours looking at MM cfg files and not understanding how anything works. Much of the time on Reviva was this, and about 1% was actual typing/coding.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

Just now, 610yesnolovely said:

Q0: Yes, that's correct IVA internal name.

Q1/Q2/Q3: Yes possibly you need :AFTER[xxx] (where xxx is the Tantares mod name) or for now try adding :FINAL (only recommended for personal patches). 

Q4: Ahah, well you definitely need to add that, otherwise RPM won't be able to run. Put that inside the whole @PART block verbatim, as it's a new module (add, not edit).

One way to see what's going on is to look at ModuleManager.ConfigCache, it's a big file so you need a decent editor, but once its loaded, search for the part and it shows you what MM has done in totality. Often that helps understand what didn't work.

Oh and welcome to modding, it's entirely normal to spend hours looking at MM cfg files and not understanding how anything works. Much of the time on Reviva was this, and about 1% was actual typing/coding.

Much love for the fast support! I will figure it out

It's awesome to dive into KSP modding and looking forward to do more false results! 

Do you know that somebody think that KSP is a pc game? hahahhaha, losers! They even have fun with it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.