95% of Terrain Scatters are Hidden Underground [VIDEO INSIDE]

MARL_Mk1

• KSP Version: 0.1.0.0 20892
  • Operating System and version:  Windows 10, updated as of Feb 26th
  • CPU and GPU model: Ryzen 5 5600 // RX 6600
  • Description of the bug: 95% of the small terrain scatters are hidden underground, invisible to the player.
  • Steps to Replicate: Land on any Celestial body with abundant scatter, move your camera underground and pan around.
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..):
  • A list of ALL mods: None
  • Other Notes / Screenshots / Log Files (if possible..): Video >

It's possible that some/most/possibly even all of what you're observing is really scatters on the surface. One of the wonderful serendipitous "bugs" we get in KSP2 is that it will happily let us orient the camera below the surface and look up. For me with my crappy old RX 580, even with all the graphics settings turned all the way down I can get to 2-5 FPS on the surface of Mun - if I'm looking down from above. If I had the terrain details you're using in this video it would be impossible to do an EVA - much less a landing. However with my ultra low settings, putting the camera below the deck and looking up is the best way to get around on EVA. I can get a decent 20+ or so FPS that way.

29 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

It's possible that some/most/possibly even all of what you're observing is really scatters on the surface. One of the wonderful serendipitous "bugs" we get in KSP2 is that it will happily let us orient the camera below the surface and look up. For me with my crappy old RX 580, even with all the graphics settings turned all the way down I can get to 2-5 FPS on the surface of Mun - if I'm looking down from above. If I had the terrain details you're using in this video it would be impossible to do an EVA - much less a landing. However with my ultra low settings, putting the camera below the deck and looking up is the best way to get around on EVA. I can get a decent 20+ or so FPS that way.

I'm plying on all High minus Medium clouds and 4x AA. Most scatters are indeed offset incorrectly underground. It's an easy fix.

1 hour ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

I'm plying on all High minus Medium clouds and 4x AA. Most scatters are indeed offset incorrectly underground. It's an easy fix.

It might not be as easy as you think.

Increase the offset from the plane and I bet you'll have a bunch of floating scatters.

Could use the planet's surface as a culling plane, that might work

1 hour ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

My point is that the surface (except for scatterers) becomes transparent when you flip the camera to a view from below ground. This actually has nothing to do with your graphics settings or mine. Sorry for the confusion, my point with that (a tangent really) was that the transparent ground from below effect is a boon to those of us who don't have a GPU like yours. Lets set that aside for the moment and take another shot at this.

When your camera angle is looking down from above you may not visually notice all the scatterers because of the ground. When you move the camera angle to look up from below the ground then the ground becomes transparent revealing the scatters you may not have notice before. With your settings (as shown in your video) this looks like a lot of stuff that might be below ground. I don't think it is, though.

Could some of them be below ground? Sure, but are 95 % of them below ground? Probably not. Maybe some, it's hard to say with the video you've posted. I could do a video with my game settings and you would see that the number of scatterers is fairly consistent whether you're looking up from below or down from above. In my case my game settings makes fewer of them, and those it makes are larger so they're easy to see. Consequently it may actually be easier to tell if this is a real effect with lower settings. You could try those for yourself if you like.

Still, my theory aside, this is a good thing to report. What if I'm wrong and you're right? Then either (a) you're getting gipped on scatters your GPU is making or the game is wasting cycles making scatterers that are under ground. Iy may be worth the devs looking into it, but I still think it's an optical elusion.