Why am I struggling to get an encounter with Dres?

I am not the world's greatest rocketeer, but usually I can get an encounter. I have spent 30 minutes trying to get an encounter with Dres. I have 0 degrees offset with Dres's orbit, so this should be easy, but I just cannot do it.  Any thoughts?  Is this a bug? I got to Eve just fine yesterday. I know it is has more mass, but still...

I also get these weird line changes that flash on and off. See second image. I had to do a video frame capture, because it is very fleeting.

3JWESAq.png

iloWLF2.png

Are you sure you're in the transfer window? Because I don't think you are.

In the first screenshot, at least, it appears like your AP at Dres' orbit is almost on top of Dres itself. Which means Dres will have moved well past that point during the time your vessel needs to cruise there. So of course you wouldn't get an encounter.

In the second screenshot you're using more of a lead, which is the right thing to do, but it's not enough. According to this image, which shows the planetary alignment relative to Kerbin for each interplanetary transfer, you need to lead by more than a quarter of Dres' orbit.

Just now, Streetwind said:

Are you sure you're in the transfer window? Because I don't think you are.

In the first screenshot, at least, it appears like your AP at Dres' orbit is almost on top of Dres itself. Which means Dres will have moved well past that point during the time your vessel needs to cruise there. So of course you wouldn't get an encounter.

In the second screenshot you're using more of a lead, which is the right thing to do, but it's not enough. According to this image, which shows the planetary alignment relative to Kerbin for each interplanetary transfer, you need to lead by more than a quarter of Dres' orbit.

Thanks for assisting.  In that screenshot, that is just where I left it. I have moved the node all over and cannot find the window.

4 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Ah, you have a spacecraft in solar orbit and can transfer whenever? I see.

Well, beats me, then. Just pulling the node around should find an encounter somewhere. Have you tried saving and reloading? That seems to fix quite a number of bugs with the game.

I'll give that a try and see what happens.  

It could be because Dres is so stinking small with a small gravity well. That will make it hard to get the encounter. Assuming your initial solar orbit is somewhere near orbit of Kerbin, then you should be looking for a transfer window where you craft is in an orientation like what's shown for leaving from Kerbin on the map here: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.