Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Are you sure you can't see it on the tracking station? I could have sworn the little toggle window popped up last time I looked.

You miss-parsed my comment. I said "not just the tracking station", you read "just not the tracking station". Word order is significant :). You very much can see the hexmap in the tracking station. However, not just the tracking station but also map view.

Have you tried replacing the spaces with underscores in the @PART[] node? If that doesn't work, Module Manager should be able to add support for it.

I'll try. The issue came up before with part name spaces and I half remember that names with spaces support can't/won't happen with MM FT.

Everyone ought to be aware of their memory usage. I use a lot of mods but I keep to about 2GB. If I understand correctly KSP can only manage up to 2GB RAM. The only parts thst I have on Kethane are the drills, so far the scanner is fine. Most mods with only parts shouldn't effect Kethane as they are mearly models, skins, and configs, but beware of mods with plugins. I'm seeing if the carrier mod or B9 are effecting Kethane and Extraplanetary Launch Pads.

Interesting:

Mods I have with plugins

Kethane

BoJan Quantum struts

KAS

MechJeb

Not sure what to make of all that now...

Hey everyone who has an issue with not being able to end a flight while using the Kethane mod. I have a solution that worked for me. Try a clean boot. I went ahead and allowed all the Microsoft services to run and was still able to end the flight. The issue is coming from a conflict between the mod and another program/service that's running in the background. Majiir, we should have a workable fix now so I'm sure that you will be relieved :)

You miss-parsed my comment. I said "not just the tracking station", you read "just not the tracking station". Word order is significant :). You very much can see the hexmap in the tracking station. However, not just the tracking station but also map view.

Haha, so I did. I'm sure many arguments start this way. I apologize.

Hey everyone who has an issue with not being able to end a flight while using the Kethane mod. I have a solution that worked for me. Try a clean boot. I went ahead and allowed all the Microsoft services to run and was still able to end the flight. The issue is coming from a conflict between the mod and another program/service that's running in the background. Majiir, we should have a workable fix now so I'm sure that you will be relieved :)

That's cool I hadn't thought of that. I so far have been shutting down non essential programs to clear up memory. Is there a work around for the VAB/SPH lockup? I've so far been running ksp as administrator seems to fix one half of the problem. Also it doesn't appear any of the other mods I'm using are in conflict.

A thought for making Kethane drilling a bit more challenging is to make the resources within the hex much more localized requiring close range detection equipment. Basically you know there's X liters of Kethane somewhere in that hex but it all might be in localized spots with areas of varying concentration. Drilling blindly you might get a rich source, a slow trickle, or none at all. Local sensors as on a rover could roam a few km and find the best spots.

A thought for making Kethane drilling a bit more challenging is to make the resources within the hex much more localized requiring close range detection equipment. Basically you know there's X liters of Kethane somewhere in that hex but it all might be in localized spots with areas of varying concentration. Drilling blindly you might get a rich source, a slow trickle, or none at all. Local sensors as on a rover could roam a few km and find the best spots.

I really like this idea.

From quick high orbit pass you get 'general idea' of where the deposits are, and a relative notion to their size. The closer, finer exploration can give you better idea and start to pinpoint the location(s). The 'drill here' moment can come from very close, very precise measurements from the ground. And, it still might not be there. False reading, used to be there but it all escaped, etc..... Would give this a real exploration flavor.

By the way, Geophysical (Oil and Gas) exploration is what I do / have done for 35 years..... While it would nice to make a big discovery, drill one hole and drain it, would be nice..... Never happens, not even in Kerbal space / time.......

Good idea....

A thought for making Kethane drilling a bit more challenging is to make the resources within the hex much more localized requiring close range detection equipment. Basically you know there's X liters of Kethane somewhere in that hex but it all might be in localized spots with areas of varying concentration.

My DEMV truck drillers would finally have a purpose! Dont know why I keep landing heavy stuff with wheels if they're gonna sit just above the deposit anyway...

However, "resource hunting" is very time consuming... Driving along a few degrees of lat/long over the Mun's surface takes a lot of time, even with fast vehicles. And if not careful they tend to fly away, flip out and boom the &$% out...

Is there a way to turn off the map overlay completely? When I uncheck the "map overlay" option on the map, I still get the info popup when I hover my mouse over a planet, and it gets in the way of other displays...

That's a bug which was fixed a few versions back. Are you sure you have the latest version?

My DEMV truck drillers would finally have a purpose! Dont know why I keep landing heavy stuff with wheels if they're gonna sit just above the deposit anyway...

However, "resource hunting" is very time consuming... Driving along a few degrees of lat/long over the Mun's surface takes a lot of time, even with fast vehicles. And if not careful they tend to fly away, flip out and boom the &$% out...

I wouldn't think it would be a mapping task. Covering a whole hex on foot would take forever. Some kind of beepy hotter/colder system so you'd go straight to it.

I wouldn't think it would be a mapping task. Covering a whole hex on foot would take forever. Some kind of beepy hotter/colder system so you'd go straight to it.

That's a good idea :cool:

This may be going a bit too far but how about a mini game while we wait for the tanks to fill up? Like "find the depth of the deposit" and some button tapping involved. I'd never stop drilling..! Just throwing 'it at the wall to see what sticks here...

We're gonna drive Majiir nuts one of these days

I have what feels like a stupid question. I've skimmed the thread, but at 182 pages so far, it's a bit much.

Is it possible to have a kethane converter output multiple resources simultaneously? For example  since this is what I'm trying to do  have it take one unit of water and convert it to 0.9 units of oxygen and 0.1 units of hydrogen?

Everything I've seen (including looking at the source code) suggests this isn't something the mod presently does, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask in case there was an undocumented interface for it or something.

Currently, no: one resource in, one resource out. AIUI, there are plans for multiple resource production/consumption in a future release.

That's for confirming that. My plans for modding Kethane to do vaguely-realistic in situ resource utilization are going to have to change. It's disappointing, but hey, new challenge.

That's a good idea :cool:

This may be going a bit too far but how about a mini game while we wait for the tanks to fill up? Like "find the depth of the deposit" and some button tapping involved. I'd never stop drilling..! Just throwing 'it at the wall to see what sticks here...

We're gonna drive Majiir nuts one of these days

I thought about where this leads in terms of tedium but really having to do local scouting isn't simple busywork as it requires a significant change in mission planning. Variable deposit depth unless it involved different parts for different capabilities would be a meaningless labor.

For depth though I think that both methods should be possible, anywhere in the hex and "find the motherlode". It would be set up as an acceptable resource rate anywhere and a bonus if one chose to hunt for a rich pocket.

I thought about where this leads in terms of tedium but really having to do local scouting isn't simple busywork as it requires a significant change in mission planning. Variable deposit depth unless it involved different parts for different capabilities would be a meaningless labor.

For depth though I think that both methods should be possible, anywhere in the hex and "find the motherlode". It would be set up as an acceptable resource rate anywhere and a bonus if one chose to hunt for a rich pocket.

Yea that would be a good compromise. I think even if the mod is well balanced, with time "long timers" have automated the process so thoroughly that Kethane becomes too easy to aquire and want more of a challenge to get their hands on this supossed "unobtanium". Depth could work, as you described above. It'd require more ships/infrastucture and more planning, but only for those willing to put the extra effort. Dunno how this added complexity would fare for performance though... I did get quite a few stutters when upgraded to 7.0..

Alter the 'efficiency' of mining the load? It's a bit of a stretch as to physics/engineering involved, but that would mean after mining a deposit completely you'd end up with more from a 'motherload' type mining outpost than if you'd just mined the load out from anywhere in the hex. But, it might be a more involved process, thus take longer (or more energy?) to mine.

I suppose I don't quite understand... Could you clarify for us what we're looking at? :)

It's a 2D map export since some other mods haven't gotten on the 3D map bandwagon. :P Rendering it in a timely manner is proving to be a challenge. I've brought it from 60-90 seconds to about 11 seconds now, but that's still pretty long.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.