Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

I accidentally found myself landing on Laythe while the sun slipped behind Jool. It ended up offering some of the nicest visuals I've seen...

AtWkYD5.jpg

6QpSpZr.jpg

rmVskiF.jpg

5pB5GTS.jpg

qilk8gj.jpg

x3L7t4P.jpg

CgBjvd9.jpg

AChTjwq.jpg

Tia1t5i.jpg

DsWl9JV.jpg

High-mobility Survey Team #1 is ready to explore!

Edited by RoboRay

Oh great! A place to show my pictures!

So here's Voyager near the atmosphere of Jool.

IdOEQ4g.jpg

This is the vehicle that launched Voyager. (95% accurate.)

ulRegM3.png

Here's my S.O.L. doing a close fly-by of Kerbol.

ig5W1tB.jpg

Here's my long-range exploratory craft. Inspired by Icarus I & II from the film Sunshine.

X44fuzs.png

And here's my next-gen exploration craft. Capable of visiting the Jool System, and returning to Kerbin without refueling.

y7OADDj.png

I accidentally found myself landing on Laythe while the sun slipped behind Jool. It ended up offering some of the nicest visuals I've seen...

/snip/

High-mobility Survey Team #1 is ready to explore!

RoboRay you always have the best ships. This is possibly the best thing I have seen in a long time.

Few questions:

-Does it work on Duna? (I know those are the firespitter electric props, correct?)

-Obviously it would work on Eve too, then, correct? The atmosphere thickness would only be avantageous,

-Can it get back to orbit, or does the crew need a separate lander?

I wonder if something could be made where the vehicle can use electric props for most of its transit (basically infinite fuel is the thing I'm getting at here, but realistic infinite fuel), a small ground rover to see further off things, but then a higher propulsion system to get the craft back into orbit. (Maybe some fuel and a NERVA engine or something? If the plane is relatively light, maybe the rover can be jettisoned before final ascent and do it this way...) That is a highly inspiring vehicle though, RoboRay.... To the SPH!

RoboRay you always have the best ships. This is possibly the best thing I have seen in a long time.

Lol, thanks. :)

Here is the full mission album for the delivery to Laythe: http://imgur.com/a/k9ng3#0

Few questions:

-Does it work on Duna? (I know those are the firespitter electric props, correct?)

The props would work, but the envelope is not buoyant enough for Duna's thin air... It would need to be three times as big.

-Obviously it would work on Eve too, then, correct? The atmosphere thickness would only be avantageous,

Yes, it should work great on Eve.

-Can it get back to orbit, or does the crew need a separate lander?

Nope, it's purely an aircraft, and not a high-performance one either... Top speed is just 60m/sec and service ceiling is about 6km on Kerbin.

They will meet another mission for a crew-swap, at some point, with the new arrivals of Team #2 taking over the airship/rover while Team #1 goes home.

I wonder if something could be made where the vehicle can use electric props for most of its transit (basically infinite fuel is the thing I'm getting at here, but realistic infinite fuel), a small ground rover to see further off things, but then a higher propulsion system to get the craft back into orbit. (Maybe some fuel and a NERVA engine or something?

I toyed with building a massive airship around the HOME air-mining system, but it's just too heavy (or, the fuel is, anyway, and there is no easy way to get rid of all that heavy oxidizer.

A large airship can launch a small rocket from altitude to great effect... The buoyancy gets you above most of the atmosphere. Think about how small a launcher you could use for getting a crew pod into Kerbin orbit if you could launch from a pad 10km tall.

If the plane is relatively light, maybe the rover can be jettisoned before final ascent and do it this way...)

It could be designed for that, but mine is not; the rover mass is essential to the airship's balance. The thing would simply hang tail-down if you inflated the envelope without the rover docked.

That is a highly inspiring vehicle though, RoboRay.... To the SPH!

Show us what you come up with! I love taking the best ideas from other people's craft and adapting them to my own designs.

Edited by RoboRay

My Mun rover encountered a problem only 2.5km away from Lonely Outpost.

p8F6pj4.jpg

I didn't want to deal with it, so I decided to build a interplanetary ship in HKO.

The Pueblo Bonito with orbital maneuvering stage still attached.

yeVB7YT.jpg

I've never tried to launch a full orange tank before. I heard horror stories. But if Pueblo Bonito is to be able to cruise the solar system I'll need to give it more gas. So here we go.

nWLeHOA.jpg

Still had some gas in the center stack. Didn't nearly use all of the fuel in the OMS either. I guess I can gas up on the two mostly full OMS stages now in HKO later.

Docking went smooth as can be. Most balanced RCS placement I've ever done in fact. Thank goodness I saved the craft. I will be using it again.

EIVOSwX.png

Pueblo Bonito fueled and awaiting a crew and lander. I managed to bust the top docking port off while jettisoning the OMS. Sucks, since that's where I wanted to put the lander. Oh well, I've got another port on the bottom of the Auxiliary Orange Tank to Orbit (AOTtO) I can use. Crew will come up with the to-be-designed lander. I want the crew to be able to get back to Kerbin...but I don't have a firm destination in mind yet. Maybe Eeloo? It's the only body who's SoI I haven't visited.

HKFxfZU.jpg

I think I may have overdone this launcher a bit...

Q0RuwY7.png

Nahhhhh.

Despite the spin, it's a very beautiful rocket

2UkEJwG.jpg

And now we're going faster...

DAmaeLt.png

and faster... to a Kerbol escape trajectory.

Decoupled with all the comm systems deployed, heading off to space...

LK4PBz1.png

I need something really profound to say... "The consistent, calm beeping is mesmerizing and yet, somehow, it seems sad..."

/snip/

A large airship can launch a small rocket from altitude to great effect...

Show us what you come up with! I love taking the best ideas from other people's craft and adapting them to my own designs.

/snip/

Hmm.. Rockets launched from balloons you say...

At the KSC Development Center...

"So, I hear there's a series of new inventions out there, really cool!"

"Really? What is it?"

"They're called 'Balloons' and they work by basically lifting something without using rockets."

"Uh.. How's that?"

"They just don't use rockets!"

"Yes but if they don't use rockets then what do they use?"

"They lift things without using rockets!"

"Yes but-"

"Lift things!"

"Makes sense to me!

"Ahem, yes, here we are. By simply attaching these seemingly magical balloons that we can only dream of ever truly figuring out how they work to an ordinary test rocket, we should be able to achieve orbital height in no time at all, and with less fuel than ever before! Our previous designs simply can't go HIGH enough. I present.. The BALLOON MAN I!!"

6IVGitn.png

(That was the last we ever saw of the Balloon Man I.)

"Ah, yes, well, our engineers seem to have found a fatal design flaw to our three brave Kerbonaut crew. The problem was: Too much rocket! So we fixed that and subtracted some rocket. I think we'll be able to go higher now. That huge balloon should lift that tiny capsule all the way to the Mun! Here it is, the Balloon Man II!"

f2PyTs1.png

(The Balloon Man II failed as well. Equally tragically.)

"Hmm.. It seems simply adding more rocket was not a mathematically complex enough operation to ensure that our craft would function correctly... So we complicated the mathematics a bit and added more balloon! Now the craft has less rocket, more balloon! Nothing can go wrong now. Surely this will succeed! Please welcome, the Balloon Man III!"

2wqDABk.png

"Yes... YES! It's working! Look! We got so high using just the magical power of balloons!"

"Hmm. Maybe you're right... We're not on the ground... The ground isn't getting closer... WE MUST BE IN ORBIT!"

"Exactly right, my friend! Now to let the rockets kick in and circularize our orbit!"

KRVGigc.png

-----

"Ahem.. Well.. Um.. This is unfortunate. The engineers are telling us that the rocket is encountering 100% more atmosphere than it should have at orbital heights....Now they're telling me that the balloon never even left the atmosphere and that it works by the same reason ice floats on cola... If I wanted a cola powered rocket, I'd use a bottle rocket, STOP TELLING ME HOW TO DO SCIENCE!..Oh.. They also inform me that the parachutes got stolen by the balloon.. Lovely.."

GTvGkGv.jpg

(Balloon Man III was also lost to the bad engineering of the KSC scientists.)

I'm telling you all, your whole stupid 'Ice on Cola' theory is wrong! It's just a THEORY! Balloons are REAL! All we need is more balloons! Quick! More! Yes, just slap them on there like that. This will do nicely.. The Balloon Man IV!"

FbGsbvC.jpg

"Here, I've subtracted even MORE rocket and added even MORE balloon. I've also gotten rid of two Kerbals. Why did we even need those other two in the first place... You see, I've also solved the problem we had with the balloons being above the rocket and stealing the parachute. I've placed the balloons below the rocket, just like the ground is when we launch, so it should work just perfectly, except that it will be in the sky because balloons!"

4q5QKYz.png

"Wait, what?.........The guys are telling me that the balloon has turned on-end because of some stupid differential in density of the rocket and the balloons. I say it sounds like a bunch of tin foil hat mumbo-jumbo. Obviously we have a bad pilot on our hands.."

(The Balloon Man IV failed just as horribly as the others.)

"Okay.. I am TIRED of being made a fool of! I will succeed in creating the most perfect balloon-launched rocket in ALL OF KERBDOM! The Balloon Man V's balloons create enough thrust through the magic power of balloons to accelerate an entire city to orbital height! In fact, it kind of looks like a giant city! FLY MY KERBAL!!!

2YYzqnn.jpg

(The Balloon Man V failed too. Such is life when you "accelerate to orbital height using the thrust from balloons.")

"Alright, look. You're killing WAY too many Kerbals just trying out your random ideas. Look, I know Kerbal society promotes space exploration in all of us, but not at the expense of others..."

(Disgruntled, the green scientist goes to his tool shed that every Kerbal is given at birth...)

"Behold my LATEST AND GREATEST piece of scientific equipment YET! It is the ProboVirus! It is a type of high-tech semi-rigid dirigible designed to take atmospheric, barometric, acceleration, and temperature readings at various places and heights! It is controlled only by a small ion engine it uses to produce wind to move itself! With this device, I will push science into the new frontiers!"

tjJFdrm.jpg

"So.. It's a weather balloon.."

"A semi-rigid DIRIGIBLE! I have deduced, through careful study of the wide range of data obtained by my dirigible's highly-advanced sensors and instruments, that the local gravity on Kerbin is exactly.......One G!"

tyhVdfS.jpg

"Congratulations... I guess this isn't all bad, it does fulfill his earlier theory about people in tin foil hats, after all, we do need something to cover up all of our secret tests..."

(I had a lot of fun making this story up as I went along here. Oh god the amount of BBCode editing..)