[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Hi. im little here, and im answer yours questions. ))

Hey bobcat, will you change the energia side boosters to how they were IRL

In current version this work like IRL

The first stage of the launcher "Energy" includes four side blocks A, each of which is a modified version of the first-stage rocket "Zenit" (see below). The figure on the left under the wing of the "Buran" clearly visible blocks A first step.

The side blocks are structurally united in pairs in parabloki (on the right), each parablok separated from the launch vehicle as 1 part, then a few seconds each parablok divided into separate units (the right figure), rescued separately.

parabloc.gif

Original

ßõрòðѠÑÂтуÿõýь рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠ"íýõрóøÑÂ" ÑÂþÑÂтþøт ø÷ чõтырõх ñþúþòых ñûþúþò ÃÂ, úðöôыù ø÷ úþтþрых ÑÂòÃȄÂõтÑÂѠôþрðñþтðýýыü òðрøðýтþü ÿõрòþù ÑÂтуÿõýø рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠ"×õýøт" (ÑÂü. ýøöõ). ÃÂð рøÑÂуýúõ ÑÂûõòð ÿþô úрыûþü "Ñурðýð" хþрþшþ òøôýы ñûþúø àÿõрòþù ÑÂтуÿõýø.

Ñþúþòыõ ñûþúø úþýÑÂтруúтøòýþ þñъõôøýõýы ÿþÿðрýþ ò ÿðрðñûþúø (ýð рøÑÂуýúõ ÑÂÿрðòð); úðöôыù ÿðрðñûþú þтôõÃȄÂõтÑÂѠþт рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠúðú õôøýþõ цõûþõ, ÷ðтõü чõрõ÷ ýõÑÂúþûьúþ ÑÂõúуýô úðöôыù ÿðрðñûþú рð÷ôõÃȄÂõтÑÂѠýð þтôõûьýыõ ñûþúø (ÑÂðüыù ÿрðòыù рøÑÂуýþú), ÑÂÿðÑÂðõüыõ рð÷ôõûьýþ.

I cant make (i think KSP no have this function) separate parablock (for 2 block A) after main separation. If you know how made that tell me. But first rule - 2 Parablock its 1 stage Energia booster. Not 4 block A. Current version Soviet pack have like IRL 2 parablock.

Because separation looks silly, among other things.

Separation loks like IRL ))

What need remake Buran its fly model , and Airlock.

Edited by BobCat

Hi. im little here, and im answer yours questions. ))

In current version this work like IRL

The first stage of the launcher "Energy" includes four side blocks A, each of which is a modified version of the first-stage rocket "Zenit" (see below). The figure on the left under the wing of the "Buran" clearly visible blocks A first step.

The side blocks are structurally united in pairs in parabloki (on the right), each parablok separated from the launch vehicle as 1 part, then a few seconds each parablok divided into separate units (the right figure), rescued separately.

parabloc.gif

Original

ßõрòðѠÑÂтуÿõýь рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠ"íýõрóøÑÂ" ÑÂþÑÂтþøт ø÷ чõтырõх ñþúþòых ñûþúþò ÃÂ, úðöôыù ø÷ úþтþрых ÑÂòÃȄÂõтÑÂѠôþрðñþтðýýыü òðрøðýтþü ÿõрòþù ÑÂтуÿõýø рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠ"×õýøт" (ÑÂü. ýøöõ). ÃÂð рøÑÂуýúõ ÑÂûõòð ÿþô úрыûþü "Ñурðýð" хþрþшþ òøôýы ñûþúø àÿõрòþù ÑÂтуÿõýø.

Ñþúþòыõ ñûþúø úþýÑÂтруúтøòýþ þñъõôøýõýы ÿþÿðрýþ ò ÿðрðñûþúø (ýð рøÑÂуýúõ ÑÂÿрðòð); úðöôыù ÿðрðñûþú þтôõÃȄÂõтÑÂѠþт рðúõты-ýþÑÂøтõûѠúðú õôøýþõ цõûþõ, ÷ðтõü чõрõ÷ ýõÑÂúþûьúþ ÑÂõúуýô úðöôыù ÿðрðñûþú рð÷ôõÃȄÂõтÑÂѠýð þтôõûьýыõ ñûþúø (ÑÂðüыù ÿрðòыù рøÑÂуýþú), ÑÂÿðÑÂðõüыõ рð÷ôõûьýþ.

I cant make (i think KSP no have this function) separate parablock (for 2 block A) after main separation. If you know how made that tell me. But first rule - 2 Parablock its 1 stage Energia booster. Not 4 block A. Current version Soviet pack have like IRL 2 parablock.

What need remake Buran its fly model , and Airlock.

That's what I meant, have them in two seperate stacks you would strut together.

why roll back to 20.0? what is wrong with 20.2?

Because the Soviet Pack has never worked for me since 1.8.4 and 20.0. With 20.1, despite the claimed KSP engine improvements, it would crash the game once a Soviet ship moved to the launchpad. With 20.2 the game no longer even gets to the title screen, it crashes during loading with the Virtual Runtime error as posted earlier. Moving 1.8.5 and 1.8.7 which are the only Soviet downloads I still seem to have, and putting them into 20.0 also causes the game to crash during loading. Thus I would like to make sure I remember correctly, and get ahold of the older Soviet pack and test it as I thought I had it running, to help narrow down the issue some of us may be having. If it works in 20.0 I can then try it with the very latest KSP too and eliminate the KSP engine as the issue.

That's interesting. I've read quite a bit about the Energia and never found a mention of how the boosters separated. I recall separation boosters being mentioned somewhere, but nothing about their positioning. I guess there's really no way to make the parablocks split apart like they actually did.

That's what I meant, have them in two separate stacks you would strut together.
What difference does it make? They are blocked together and separate as 2 blocks as it does now. The only difference is some time after separation the 2 blocks separate into the 4 boosters. Who cares about that? They're just going to crash into the ocean and probably disappear off the rendered objects area anyway at that point. As BobCat mentioned, I'd much rather him take a look at refining the Buran itself. It's almost perfect...just the buggy airlock and flight model...not to mention the Ares I and V..

The Soyuz-U/TMA/Progress M are still his models of absolute perfection. Hopefully every one of the launch systems he's made will emulate that eventually.

Because the Soviet Pack has never worked for me since 1.8.4 and 20.0. With 20.1, despite the claimed KSP engine improvements, it would crash the game once a Soviet ship moved to the launchpad. With 20.2 the game no longer even gets to the title screen, it crashes during loading with the Virtual Runtime error as posted earlier. Moving 1.8.5 and 1.8.7 which are the only Soviet downloads I still seem to have, and putting them into 20.0 also causes the game to crash during loading. Thus I would like to make sure I remember correctly, and get ahold of the older Soviet pack and test it as I thought I had it running, to help narrow down the issue some of us may be having. If it works in 20.0 I can then try it with the very latest KSP too and eliminate the KSP engine as the issue.
What are your system specs and list any and all other addons you have. You can't blame a mod for these problems or we'd all be having that same issue. Edited by Good_Apollo

What difference does it make? They are blocked together and separate as 2 blocks as it does now. The only difference is some time after separation the 2 blocks separate into the 4 boosters. Who cares about that? They're just going to crash into the ocean and probably disappear off the rendered objects area anyway at that point.

Exactly. By the time they did their little break-apart-and-pop-the-chutes dance, you'll be too far downrange for it to even matter (and the parts will no longer be rendered anyway), unless you're that bent on crashing your launch vehicle just to watch the LRBs land. It makes no sense and would be a colossal waste of development time.

What are your system specs and list any and all other addons you have. You can't blame a mod for these problems or we'd all be having that same issue.

Firstly, if you were actually paying attention to this thread, you'd have seen I've posted my specs and listed mods numerous times. In fact, the post you replied to even states once more that I will be resetting to a set up that did work.

Secondly, I have also said in this thread many, many times that I know it's likely to be a minority issue. However other people have reported the exact same error had started at the same time, and I indeed screen-shotted it which someone else confirmed was their issue too. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it's not an issue with the mod for some people. If that were the case, we could all run every game ever on our Commodore Vic 20s.

Thirdly, this isn't about criticizing BobCat personally, and he doesn't need people white knighting over it. It's about getting a mod we all appreciate into a working state for all who'd like to appreciate it. It's about bug finding.

Fourthly, having written mods for other games myself, I am fully aware BobCat may not be able to trace the problem even once it's isolated to a specific change between KSP and Soviet versions, because it could be something he can't replicate, not having access to a wide range of computers. The point is then to go to Squad and say "Please download this, and see if you can work out why it won't even load now between X and Y".

Fifthly, if some of you have some answers, then for crying out loud, actually give them. All that ever happens in this thread (and on these forums in general) is people say "Post your specs" and then they don't bother trying to do any more work. Well, I'm trying to do the work myself, which is why I want 1.8.4 if anyone still has the zip. So I can go back to a clean KSP again across versions and isolate the point at which it breaks.

Because, sixthly, back to actually paying attention again, I've already tested 1.8.5 and 1.8.7 under the old file structure back to .20 KSP, and they all refuse to load the game as well. They break KSP when added to it, with no other mods inside. With 1.8.4 I can test adding it to both the latest KSP and .20, and if it works in both, then it's not KSP but a change in the mod between now and then. If it only works in KSP .20 then it's a change in the KSP engine since which is tripping up on something that's always been there in the Soviet Mod for some people. Possibly on a WinXP system or with some other common component that you won't have. The point is to find it.

So.

Does anyone have older versions of the Soviet Pack they could upload please?

I've been quite impressed by your work since joining around here and I figure now is a good a time as any to thank you for the great work you do - hardly a mission goes by without using some Bobcat Ind. component.

A few days ago I decided to try out the American pack - long story short, the LER components (except the rover base) are experiencing a model load error and I'm pretty sure it's only a problem on my end. Anyone have suggestions as to what to do? I've tried reducing the number of active mods, a clean install... the other usual troubleshooting measures. The output_log entry for one of the parts in question is included below.

Load(Model): American Pack 0.23/GameData/BobCatind/Parts/AmericanPack/Altair_cargoplatform/model

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

File error:

Failed to read past end of stream.

at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 numBytes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadAnimationEvents (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A..ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.. (.UrlFile ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Model load error in 'C:\Users\JohnDoe\Desktop\KSP_win\GameData\American Pack 0.23\GameData\BobCatind\Parts\AmericanPack\Altair_cargoplatform\model.mu'

Bobcat, I have to say, I've looked at historical information pages about the Soviet/Russian space program more in the past few months because of your posts/development here than I did in years past.

I can say I hope the Russian People are proud of the accomplishments of the program, even with the various setbacks. It's amazing what your country has done.

Firstly, if you were actually paying attention to this thread, you'd have seen I've posted my specs and listed mods numerous times. In fact, the post you replied to even states once more that I will be resetting to a set up that did work.

Secondly, I have also said in this thread many, many times that I know it's likely to be a minority issue. However other people have reported the exact same error had started at the same time, and I indeed screen-shotted it which someone else confirmed was their issue too. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it's not an issue with the mod for some people. If that were the case, we could all run every game ever on our Commodore Vic 20s.

Thirdly, this isn't about criticizing BobCat personally, and he doesn't need people white knighting over it. It's about getting a mod we all appreciate into a working state for all who'd like to appreciate it. It's about bug finding.

Fourthly, having written mods for other games myself, I am fully aware BobCat may not be able to trace the problem even once it's isolated to a specific change between KSP and Soviet versions, because it could be something he can't replicate, not having access to a wide range of computers. The point is then to go to Squad and say "Please download this, and see if you can work out why it won't even load now between X and Y".

Fifthly, if some of you have some answers, then for crying out loud, actually give them. All that ever happens in this thread (and on these forums in general) is people say "Post your specs" and then they don't bother trying to do any more work. Well, I'm trying to do the work myself, which is why I want 1.8.4 if anyone still has the zip. So I can go back to a clean KSP again across versions and isolate the point at which it breaks.

Because, sixthly, back to actually paying attention again, I've already tested 1.8.5 and 1.8.7 under the old file structure back to .20 KSP, and they all refuse to load the game as well. They break KSP when added to it, with no other mods inside. With 1.8.4 I can test adding it to both the latest KSP and .20, and if it works in both, then it's not KSP but a change in the mod between now and then. If it only works in KSP .20 then it's a change in the KSP engine since which is tripping up on something that's always been there in the Soviet Mod for some people. Possibly on a WinXP system or with some other common component that you won't have. The point is to find it.

So.

Does anyone have older versions of the Soviet Pack they could upload please?

Unfortunately there is no legal way we can give you 0.18.4, it would be the same act of piracy as giving you the latest version. I suggest trying to nut your problem out on the latest version. Then when you do finally figure it out, you will be able to provide an effective fix rather than telling people to go back to 0.18.4 to get it to work.

Bobcat has more mods than anyone put together, I can only imagine the amount of work these KSP updates create for him.

Bobcat, I have to say, I've looked at historical information pages about the Soviet/Russian space program more in the past few months because of your posts/development here than I did in years past.

Me too! I was loosely familiar with the N1 from being a fan of the Space Race period, but my knowledge of other Soviet/Russian hardware is pretty much limited to the modern Soyuz and Proton launchers as those are the ones used for ISS launches now. It was really fun reading up on Mir, Salyut, Buran, and Kliper.

All right... I need a bit of help for the crew here.

Two questions...

First, on the Orion where is the proper spot to place the solar panels so they don't pop off when you decouple the service module from the second stage. I've tried both the panels included in the American Pack as well as the ones from LH and both are just ripped off when I stage.

Secondly, what is the proper launch profile for both manual and MJ. Every time I try and launch once I start my gravity turn And the SRB's is still attached (and running) it seams to be to top heavy and just starts tumbling. The only way I can get it to orbit is to start my gravity turn after the SRB separates and the second stage fires. Doing this leaves me almost no fuel to do any real orbital maneuvering.

Any help is always appreciated...

All right... I need a bit of help for the crew here.

Two questions...

First, on the Orion where is the proper spot to place the solar panels so they don't pop off when you decouple the service module from the second stage. I've tried both the panels included in the American Pack as well as the ones from LH and both are just ripped off when I stage.

Secondly, what is the proper launch profile for both manual and MJ. Every time I try and launch once I start my gravity turn And the SRB's is still attached (and running) it seams to be to top heavy and just starts tumbling. The only way I can get it to orbit is to start my gravity turn after the SRB separates and the second stage fires. Doing this leaves me almost no fuel to do any real orbital maneuvering.

Any help is always appreciated...

You can't actually place the solar panels in their 'envisioned' design spot because the decoupler between the SM and CM doesn't have a collider. I have no idea why they are getting ripped off when you stage though, make sure nothing is colliding with them.

As for the Ares I launch profile, the ascertained turn height seems to be 25KM though your mileage may vary. I'd probably say the lowest would be 15KM.

There's a post in this thread somewhere that gave some different figures on the SRB cfg values for a more realistic and tumble-free flight profile but I'm too lazy to search through the thread for you. It makes the launches for the Ares I and Ares V look spectacular though and far closer to real life.

Edited by Good_Apollo

Ok Paul, on all of your previous builds you put the option in the cfg files, to change the spring rate, dampening rate, and a few more options to control the wheel/track of all your rovers. I see that the current LER wheels do not have these options. Please bud, you have to place all of these options back into the cfg files, so that we can manually adjust these settings. If I want to upscale a wheel of yours, I need to be able to adjust these settings accordingly. Its impossible to make a trailer with different wheel combinations without being able to adjust these settings. I am sure I don't have to explain this to you cause I am sure you understand the problems. TTModlularwheels has kept these settings within the cfg files, but he seems to be the only one that has so far.

PLEASE fix this bud, or it will make any of your future builds useless for anything but the release purpose. I am sure most people will agree that we need to be able to change these settings.

Thx as always, your work and time are great man.

From Oregon...Dren

You can't actually place the solar panels in their 'envisioned' design spot because the decoupler between the SM and CM doesn't have a collider. I have no idea why they are getting ripped off when you stage though, make sure nothing is colliding with them.

There's a sweet spot... or at least there was. It use to work well with the LH panels then the update that added the the Orion panels made it not work. One of these nights I'll have to do some messing around... A few launches with panels placed in different spots straight up and back down... I need to get Jeb out of the office for a bit.

As for the Ares I launch profile, the ascertained turn height seems to be 25KM though your mileage may vary. I'd probably say the lowest would be 15KM.

I use MJ a lot to setup my maneuvering nodes (and follow it's route) and the auto pilot when I'm feeling lazy. The best launch profile I've found so far is a orbit of 75k, turn size of 85%, gravity turn starting at 12km (15km if using auto pilot). When I get the AP to 75k I switch to MJ"s Maneuvering Planner finish up. It works well, just leaves very little fuel to finish up missions any higher that 250km. Unless it's docking with a station or ship I can refuel. I need the second stage booster to help get to the Mun.

There's a post in this thread somewhere that gave some different figures on the SRB cfg values for a more realistic and tumble-free flight profile but I'm too lazy to search through the thread for you. It makes the launches for the Ares I and Ares V look spectacular though and far closer to real life.

That could be kewl, you remember when you saw it??? Was it a few days ago or a week... you know give me a starting point for my search.

Thanks for the info...

Edited by SouthPhilly

Sorry to be a pain again, but has anybody ever had any of their vehicles randomly explode when switched to? this is the fifth time that my MIR station has randomly exploded when switching to it (via the [ ] keys) i have also had the Buran shuttle randomly explode (this time not due to oscillations) while carrying strutted cargo. the Mir station was completely stable, it wasn't moving at all, just in a 90,000 Km orbit, and then BOOM. gone. no debris hit it, does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening? or is it another of KSP's unsolvable bugs? :) (All of the parts used were part of the soviet pack)

I had one consistently explode when I got too far away from it. It was a very large (lots of parts) tanker craft that I had docked a large tug with very powerful engines to. Because I'd had problems in the past with that tug's docking port being crushed when under full thrust, I put 'docking struts' on it. The tanker was meant to be mounted to another very large ship along with three other identical tankers but the entire concept was proving to be problematic. I decided that the tanker crew would evacuate in their pod and return to Kerbin. Upon landing, the flight report indicated that there had been multiple 'events' resulting in the deaths of three Kerbals. Because the tanker pod had taken two re-entry attempts with them dying and me reloading my quicksave I thought maybe it was a glitch and I was just seeing messages from the first attempt.

Until I tried to switch back to the tanker. GONE. Without a trace. I quick loaded and sent the tanker crew back to Kerbin. As they began their burn and were carried away from the tanker. I pressed F3 and there it was. Three Kerbal deaths. The tug crew. Dammit. I paid more attention this time and realized that the docking strut was the culprit. (for those not knowing, the docking strut is a plugin that lets you mount struts on your ship that can be connected AFTER it has launched, preferably when it's docked to another ship)

I tried 3 different times and it was the same every time. Whenever the tanker was left behind (and presumably when it dephysicalized???) it would collide with the docking strut and explode. I was forced to deorbit and abandon the tanker so that the tug crew could live. I've heard of such problems with the docking strut before but thought I had the fixed version. I guess not.

ArkaelDren

LER wheels use new stock wheel module system, no any cfg options. All damper and spring options in my Unity project. No any chance change it from users.

Starwaster

That problem still not fixed.

Deltac

Cool video

I need the second stage booster to help get to the Mun.

That's how it should be, Orion on it's own can't get to Moon. It needs EDS from the Ares V for that.