[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Would it be possible to add a 3.75m-2.5m fairing cone, please, just to round out the collection of fairing pieces? I'm discovering interesting ways to use these parts for interstages, and I'd like to have that part in the toolkit.

Yea that piece is missing, its going to serve as the Lem fairing, as it goes from 3.75m to 2.5m. Soon as denny is done with his LEM I can size it up so it fits in there.

Question Frizzank.. I been trying to make hinged door fairings with infernal robotics and procedural fairings.. it.. doesn't work to well. So will you be emulating this on the S-IVB?

c270b.jpg

It's strange.. were the fairings actually hinged or did they seperate? Some pictures show them acting as doors some show them separated.

Both. :) They were hinged until (IIRC) Apollo 8, at which point they decided they were too much trouble and went for a separation instead. I suppose it'd be nice to have both variants available.

Hey frizz would you mind making a separate mod for the launch towers only :)? I really like them, but my RAM cannot take the load of 20+ mods.

Just delete everything out of the FASA folder that you don't want. OR, make a new folder and copy the towers over. There's really no need to make a separate upload for just the launch towers.

Frizzank has said he's doing the Saturn IB and Saturn V

Indeed he did. And to that all I can say is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey frizz would you mind making a separate mod for the launch towers only :)? I really like them, but my RAM cannot take the load of 20+ mods.

KSP has its limitations, you must choose what mods you want to keep and which to delete! Muhahahahahahaha!

(Also texture reduction mods and turning down texture settings to awful will let you keep playing, to a point....)

Edited by frizzank

Both. :) They were hinged until (IIRC) Apollo 8, at which point they decided they were too much trouble and went for a separation instead. I suppose it'd be nice to have both variants available.

More accurately... the Saturn IB variant of the S-IVB stage (S-IVB-200 series stages) had the hinged fairing panels, while the Saturn V variant (S-IVB-500 series stages) used ones that jettisoned instead. I've never seen any explanation why the difference between the two, since the two stages were in production pretty much concurrently. (Other differences, like the number of ullage motors on each, can be explained by the different lower stages used to launch them, and the different applications.)

Hey Frizzank,

I'm having a problem with your wonderful launch towers :(

Everything works perfect except the large launch tower. If I place it down and launch, this happens:

MinqcWQ.jpg

The IVA, Staging list, and some buttons disappear. If I retract the tower, it does bring the staging list back... with it all grouped into one stage, and "Space" does nothing.

Right click menus do work, but without staging its pretty hard to fly :(

Jeb is aware of this bug too.

MbkAIQZ.jpg

More accurately... the Saturn IB variant of the S-IVB stage (S-IVB-200 series stages) had the hinged fairing panels, while the Saturn V variant (S-IVB-500 series stages) used ones that jettisoned instead. I've never seen any explanation why the difference between the two, since the two stages were in production pretty much concurrently. (Other differences, like the number of ullage motors on each, can be explained by the different lower stages used to launch them, and the different applications.)

Also, by removing the hinge mechanism, you could save weight. IIRC, the "separation" version was actually one solid unit until severed by det cord, which split it into the four pieces, detached it from the spent stage, AND shoved it away. A most Kerbal solution, isn't it? :D

Hey Frizzank,

I'm having a problem with your wonderful launch towers :(

Everything works perfect except the large launch tower. If I place it down and launch, this happens:

http://i.imgur.com/MinqcWQ.jpg

The IVA, Staging list, and some buttons disappear. If I retract the tower, it does bring the staging list back... with it all grouped into one stage, and "Space" does nothing.

Right click menus do work, but without staging its pretty hard to fly :(

Jeb is aware of this bug too.

http://i.imgur.com/MbkAIQZ.jpg

Are you using any crew modification mods? Like life support or crew transfer?

Are you using any crew modification mods? Like life support or crew transfer?

Not that I know of. Let me check... I used to use RO with some, but they were deleted.

Checking mod folder...

Lets see, I have "final fronteer" that gives kerbal "history" of their missions.

Other than that, nothing.

xse7d98.png

The H-1 engine looks great, but the fairing needs more than just textures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saturn_I_test_article.jpg

Saturn I also had flared engine fairings. They're not very visible because of how many fins the thing has, but certainly are there.

Also, could you make RS-27 engines? They were essentially H-1s with a slightly different nozzle (most notably missing the big tube on the side). They were used on Delta rockets, I think that they'd be a neat addition to your engine collection, even if you're not going to make any Deltas anytime soon. There's also RS-27A, exactly the same as RS-27, but with a longer, vacuum-optimized nozzle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.