[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

New Beta, has new textures and integrated parts from Denny. I removed the temporary parts i made. Parts have been renamed to not conflict and break either mod if you decide to install both.

LES rocket is broken so I disabled it in the cfg. Previous craft files using the lem or csm will break.

BETA - This is a test for Saturn V, parts are unfinished but do function. It is a feature test, while I work on the art you can tell me if you like how it flies.

Download\/

http://www./download/gwnfaqog9rthmk1/FASA4.20.zip

Integrated Denny's Apollo CSM parts - LES is broken and has been disabled
Added texture to F1 engine
Renamed Denny's parts to avoid conflicts.

Adjusted stack node sizes, 2m parts get size 2, 3m and up get size 3
Added more mass to the fuel tanks and other really light Apollo parts. Mass greatly effects joint strengths.
Tweaked F1 engine thrust and weight
Adjusted reflection shader on engines some so emission would show through.
Shorten the 3 to 5m decoupler
Added longer pipes to J2 so you didn't see its ends

4.00 Added Saturn V rocket parts,
F1 LFE
F1 5x engine plate
F1 Engine fairings
5m Large fuel tank
5m Medium fuel tank
J2 5x engine plate
3.75m to 5m decoupler
5m Decoupler
Adjusted the attach nodes on the umbilical towers to be more centred and closer to the rocket.
Turned down Gimble on SRB's
Made H1 Gimble be the engine nozzle and not the thrust transform like its suppose to.
Turned down the drag on all the parachutes made them deploy slower.
Fixed stack symmetry on s1b plate, gave it some fuel and moved it to propulsion with the other plates.

Hmm, now that I think of it, do you think you could make your own, detailed LES (separation motor, pitch thruster, canards et al), perhaps along with the Little Joe test rocket? Denny's Saturn V parts are amazing, except for the LES, which is very buggy and rather inaccurate. I can dig some materials on it if you want.

And before you ask, the separation motor is necessary. To pull the capsule away from such a mighty rocket, a very strong motor is needed. Separation motor doesn't need to be this powerful, so you're either making an underpowered abort or an overpowered LES separation. And then, there's the tendency of the LES to stick to the capsule after an abort and decoupling, especially apparent on heavy towers like this one. We've been through this with BobCat when working on his N1, he ended up making a 2-part LES which had worked very well (even before the joint upgrade) and solved those issues.

Hey, Frizz, are you planning to make the MOL for career mode?

EDIT: Also, after you are done with the american stuff, are you thinking of doing soviet stuff?

EDIT 2: Dammit, i keep saying stuff before i try something. For get about the MOL thing. Also, how do you do strikethrough?

Edited by Pockrtplanesairways
Effed up.

It all looks great! Will you be reintegrating those craft files in the final update? It all looks better and better with each update I keep getting more excited that its so close to finished. Few questions and comments. I don't know if its me but is the first stage a little under fueled? Im on stage two before 7,000ish and I am burning most of the third stage to get into orbit and not nearly enough for munar insertion. Maybe its just me. Besides that awesome awesome awesome! Whats left it seems like just a few more textures on the tanks and the LES?

It all looks great! Will you be reintegrating those craft files in the final update? It all looks better and better with each update I keep getting more excited that its so close to finished. Few questions and comments. I don't know if its me but is the first stage a little under fueled? Im on stage two before 7,000ish and I am burning most of the third stage to get into orbit and not nearly enough for munar insertion. Maybe its just me. Besides that awesome awesome awesome! Whats left it seems like just a few more textures on the tanks and the LES?

What's you're flight profile look like? Seems like you are not doing your gravity turn correctly.

I do a gravity turn between 7000-10000 depending on what my speed is or if I need speed. It just seems the first stage should be longer, no? I mean stage two at 8,000 idk. If I use the NASA stock parts I can get a longer burn time with those fuel tanks and they are smaller.

Also Frizz didn't you say denny was doing a custom IVA for the CM? Thats gonna be epic!

Edited by sp1989

Ok not spamming but I am just posting as I discover the problems. I am experiencing a lag like I never have before with FASA. Its only with the Saturn V and its the same lag that I experience with Dennys. Its really the only reason I don't use Dennys Saturn V. It runs really smooth and then all of a sudden it will freeze for a second, fly perfect and then freeze for a second. The freezing is intermittent and is really annoying compared to lag that happens sometimes. The normal lag I am talking about seems to slow down the whole game. This lag freezes and then works normal. Maybe its something in dennys code that does it or more likely its just my computer. Just fyi reporting stuff as I notice it.

Is it possible that its laggy because a lot of the parts have dennys labels on them? The CM, SM, SM engine, all the Alslep stuff. Maybe thats where the lag is coming from? In the VAB when I click on any of the pods up to and including all the FASA ones including the LEM ascent stage it pops up pretty much instantaneously, along with all the other fasa and stock parts. When I click on the Apollo CM or any of the parts that sill have dennys labels it takes atleast 5-10 seconds for it come on to the screen. I also roughly built the whole Saturn V with the stock Command Pod and no OLDD parts and it flew perfect. So my unscientific conclusion is that the problems (at least for me) are coming from the OLDD parts. Really really sorry to be blasting the forum.

Edited by sp1989

No, I think this is the reflection plugin. The lag you see is from the environment map updating every once in a while. Dunno why it isn't an issue with Atlas, but all the problems with it started when Denny added reflections to CM. Maybe there's a bug/bad design of the implementation, or there's simply too many reflective parts on screen.

Hey quick question. I noticed something odd with the latest down load I got today. And that I cant seem to get the gigercounters to work, both the added since part, and the Explore probe? any one else having this problem? I sure its something I may have done some how... or maybe a problem with modadmin

No I dont think so, I never have a problem with the reflection plugin except that it makes the rockets turn blue at night and in the morning. It never lagged. Just in case though I removed the reflection plugin and I still had the same problem. Like I said this is the first time I am really having problems with FASA. Also the lag isn't just playing the game. The loading times in the VAB are very unusual. I mean it takes so long for the OLDD parts to populate on screen that I consider force quitting because it seems like the game is frozen. The FASA parts come right up. Even the LEM which is dennys comes right up, but its labelled FASA. So I stand by my conclusion that the labeling might be the culprit.

It has something to do with the reflection plugin and Denny's parts. I don't know what the deal is but when I disable the reflections on them it runs much smoother. If it is a problem for you you can either disable them in the part cfg by deleting the reflection module or delete the plugin entirely.

I will work on seeing what the deal is with it.

The Saturn V parts need a bit more tweaking. I want it to be a challenge to get to the mun but not so hard that it is an exercise in fuel efficiency. I want the F1 to feel a bit overpowered just so it has some benefits over the Mainsail but that one is overpowered already in my opinion so there is some room for tweaking.

Oh I agree with you totally about it needing to be a challenge! I just feel I should get past 5000 before I am on stage two. That being said the rocket explodes off the launch pad really fast so maybe raising the efficiency, lowering the power, and increasing the fuel just a bit will balance it out. Just enough to atleast to start a gravity turn. Although Lovads Saturn V is really buggy and incomplete the take off for his Saturn V is really nice. It takes off slow and builds up speed very quickly. However his has way too much fuel. I got to the Mun before getting to the third stage. So his is not balanced at all.

It has something to do with the reflection plugin and Denny's parts. I don't know what the deal is but when I disable the reflections on them it runs much smoother. If it is a problem for you you can either disable them in the part cfg by deleting the reflection module or delete the plugin entirely.

Might have to do with how Denny does his parts. I wouldn't be surprised if having to deal with so many textures bogged the reflection plugin down. I hope he reduces the texture count in the future.

I could be wrong but didn't the Saturn V have enough delta V to get a payload to mars? Especially if the could have refueled the trans stage? the problem would be taking enough supplys for a maned mission... in fact I think that's still the problem with a maned mission

I could be wrong but didn't the Saturn V have enough delta V to get a payload to mars? Especially if the could have refueled the trans stage? the problem would be taking enough supplys for a maned mission... in fact I think that's still the problem with a maned mission

Its all about the payload size. You get 3 people to the moon, or skylab in low earth orbit. If it only had the command service module payload it could probably go anywhere in the solar system. Getting back would be a different story.

The Saturn V is the tallest, heaviest, and most powerful rocket humans have ever built. In 13 missions, it took 24 astronauts beyond earth's orbit, including all 12 who ever set foot on the moon, without a single loss of life. Watch in awe as its entire career launches before you.

It was the most powerful vehicle mankind has ever built. So it could probably do some incredible things as a launch vehicle had we stuck with it.

News legend Walter Cronkite, covering the first unmanned Saturn V test launch in November 1967, can barely contain his giddy exhilaration as the rocket takes flight  the launch was powerful enough to knock down ceiling tiles and nearly blow out the blast window in his observation room three miles away. "The roar is terrific!" he wails, 120db of noise and fury swirling around him. 46 years later, it still is. [lunarmodule5, Apollo 4, Saturn V]

Its all about the payload size. You get 3 people to the moon, or skylab in low earth orbit. If it only had the command service module payload it could probably go anywhere in the solar system. Getting back would be a different story.

The Saturn V is the tallest, heaviest, and most powerful rocket humans have ever built. In 13 missions, it took 24 astronauts beyond earth's orbit, including all 12 who ever set foot on the moon, without a single loss of life. Watch in awe as its entire career launches before you.

Yes, and you've scaled it down! :) Denny's version does mitigate that somewhat, though.

Oh, and TBH, a Titan IIIE could get just about anywhere in the solar system, too. That's what launched the Voyager (and that, in turn, is the major reason why I want the RL-10 and Centaur tank in FASA). It's all about payload. A manned Mars mission would be very heavy, Constellation Mars mission was supposed to go in 7 Ares V launches. Saturn V delivers less than Ares V, so it might have been not enough. A Nova could, in theory, launch a Mars landing and return complex (a smaller one than Constellation, though), but it was never built.

Yes, and you've scaled it down! :) Denny's version does mitigate that somewhat, though.

Oh, and TBH, a Titan IIIE could get just about anywhere in the solar system, too. That's what launched the Voyager (and that, in turn, is the major reason why I want the RL-10 and Centaur tank in FASA). It's all about payload. A manned Mars mission would be very heavy, Constellation Mars mission was supposed to go in 7 Ares V launches. Saturn V delivers less than Ares V, so it might have been not enough. A Nova could, in theory, launch a Mars landing and return complex (a smaller one than Constellation, though), but it was never built.

I've been working on a NOVA rocket but not in a while. College has taken priority.

Little facts about NOVA:

It was meant for single shot to the Moon, unlike the Saturn V orbital slingshot.

After a few successful Moon missions, it was going to take Astronauts to the Mars.

There are many Nova Desgins, including a Saturn - Nova mix. The third stage up of the Saturn would be placed on top of a longer wider stage two which would use 8 J-2 engines, then the main stage is 8 F-1s. 8!

The Saturn Nova is based on the proposed C-8 launch vehicle.

Though, I've seen two versions of the Saturn - NOVA.

The first one I saw five stages with nothing but the CSM on top. It's first stage has 8 F-1s, the second stage has 4 engines, whether they are J-2s or F-1s I don't know. Then the rest of the stages are single engines, idk what engines.

Then the second one is the C-8 proposal.

The two stage Nova I've seen was a nuclear one similar to Soviet Superracket. A chemical 1st stage followed by a very large nuclear 2nd stage. While neat, the C-8 was the most mature, probably the most reasonable Nova design.

Given that most of the proposals are blown out of proportion, it does make sense. The Nova is supposed to take a whole crew and equipment to Mars. So a bigger rocket is needed.

Me personally, I think these Nova's are the most likely canidates:

Martin Marietta: 14A and 34,

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/n/novamm.gif

General Dynamics: Any of these desgins could come to life.

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/n/novammgd.gif

Douglas Studies: Again, any design is likely to come to life, but I would like to see the OOST and ROOST more than any of the others. SSTO Rockets anyone?

http://www.zentastic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nova-rockets.jpg

Nasa: All these designs are good, but I'm more interested in the last two with the solid clusters.

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/n/novanasa.gif

Edited by GoldForest

I would really have liked to see NASA continue the Saturn family, if we had can you imagin what the Saturn 6 or 7 could have done? but now its 40 years later we could be up to the Saturn 10, I bet that would be a beast

They wouldn't have made a Saturn 6, 7, or even 10.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

They would have stuck with the Saturn V and just upgraded it.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44900&d=1301805090

That links shows the proposed additions to the Saturn V.

I can see the Saturn V being used today if the Moon Missions wouldn't have been cancelled.

The Space Shuttle might not have happened if we kept the Saturn V.

Edited by GoldForest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.