[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

So I went a little overboard with the Explorer parts, but it turned out well so I don't think any one will complain. Added MF to the fuel tank honnor m00f for his 1000'th post.

I did make the solid rocket engines on the Explorer with the ability to turn off. You only get 2 speeds on or off. It was really hard to get it into orbit without that feature. If your diehard and don't want to cut it off you don't have too.

Also added a Geiger counter experiment to the probe. The antenna dont automate on transmit, I suspect its because I have a science experiment and a transmitter and it gets confused. Should be enough power for several orbits and readings.

http://www./download/kpwljb4lzp4aa50/FASA3.70.zip

Javascript is disabled. View full album

3.7 Added launch tower, Redstone 1.25m Clamp and 2.5m Clamp, Atlas Radial Clamp, and Umbilical Tower.  
If your rocket "Pops" on load to the pad and is off center. Reload your scene and it will fix it, sometimes.
Added Stackable Equipment Part.
Added Mercury RCS thruster.
Added "Fairing" and "Cargo Bay" to part titles for FAR support.
Added Explorer probe and rocket parts 6 total...
Added Geiger Counter experiment.
Mercury Pod has RCS thruster part now, no more reaction wheel on the pod.
Increased Gemini LES thrust to 250.
Agena Antenna now weighs the same as other antenna's and science parts to make weight balancing easier.
Removed surface attach from Agena Docking.
Moved the MOL equipment to utility.
Fixed LR-91 Mini FX bug
Fixed Gemini Legs from falling through the ground and animation bug on white ones.
Increased Agena engine to 65. Decreased ISP to 395. Increased the mass to .45
Increased Agena FP Mono engine to 20. Increased ISP 415, makes a great interplanetary mono thruster now.
Increased the mass of mercury's parachute, now same as stock one. Helps with weirdness.

Edited by frizzank

Yes, the umbilical arms provide, liquid fuel, oxidizer, electricity, and monopropellant. The Redstone launch clamps provide fuel, oxidizer and electricity. The crew access arm provides only electricity.

And they're really useful and versatile. Just be patient with fuelling a large rocket... it may take a few minutes.

The Explorer Nosecone doesn't feel like a nosecone. It makes more sense in the structural tab and called something like Explorer Fairing Base. It'll also be next to the other Explorer decouplers, which would be a good thing because I spend too much time trying to find it. Also the smallest Sargent solid rocket doesn't have a fuel gauge displayed when firing.

I did easily manage to get the Explorer into orbit without throttling, in an orbit similar to the real one. Mine was 81 and 303 kms, while the real one was 358 and 2550.

Edited by CaptRobau

are the mini sergeants separate parts?

Yes and no, there is one that is separate, and 2 different clusters, 3 pack and an 11 pack.

Also the smallest Sargent solid rocket doesn't have a fuel gauge displayed when firing.

Its a bug, should be in there. Not really a big deal since it is your last stage and you can see it on the resource panel.

Also note that the mercury capsule does not have reaction wheels anymore. You have to add the mini RCS if you want to maneuver...

are the mini sergeants separate parts?
So I forgot this, but its small and not time consuming so I can put it in before the update. It has weird staging, im going to have to work out in KSP. KSP only likes top to bottom decoupling and 11 way symmetry does not exist. I think I can work it out the same way I did the Atlas booster....

or you can just download it and find out.

The Explorer Nosecone doesn't feel like a nosecone.

The tabs are not helpful for large numbers of parts, and the location for multi-use parts really comes up to personal preference.

You have a valid point, that would be true if its only use was an attachment point for Explorer. Since it looks like a nosecone and can be used as one, its a nosecone and goes in the aero tab. Also it would help aerodynamics if the system worked properly.

It's not hard to find if your in career mode as it, and the fins are the only thing in the aero tab when you start.

Edited by frizzank

The Gemini X-1 Lander Leg has something configured wrong - there's an error in the log about a missing suspension Transform. In the cfg, the suspensionTransform is set to Gemini_Gear_Pistion006 (typo, I thought). If I fix the type to Piston006, the landing gear pads don't seem to be in the right spot, and the gear still don't appear to actually do anything (they go right into the ground).

I can't launch the Mercury-Atlas without the tower and umbilical tearing the rocket apart.

Are you using the joint reinforcement mod. I heard it was causing problems with the launch tower?

The included craft file works fine. Use that as an example of how to build.

Make sure you are using clamps at the bottom as well.

The umbilical swing out to the left. Make sure they are not hitting the rocket when you detach. You can make sure by Rotating the tower slightly and putting it an angle to the tank rather than perpendicular.

Sometimes the rocket jumps on load. If it moves too much just reload your launch and it should set in a better position.

Also, the umbilicals do have a slight "kick" when they detach... Part of their heritage as launch clamps. I usually detach them before engine ignition and the base launch clamps (Redstone and Atlas versions) are the last things that I release, since the symmetry doesn't cause them to kick the rocket around.

Wow i'm really impressed with the launch clamp especiallly the giant ones. My kid got to miss school today because of the dentist and when he went to check on the update he came back running saying there here there here lol. I dont think he could of been happier, hes only 9 by the way.

The Gemini X-1 Lander Leg has something configured wrong - there's an error in the log about a missing suspension Transform. In the cfg, the suspensionTransform is set to Gemini_Gear_Pistion006 (typo, I thought). If I fix the type to Piston006, the landing gear pads don't seem to be in the right spot, and the gear still don't appear to actually do anything (they go right into the ground).

Oh its a typo, but because I miss spelled Piston in the cfg....

The legs seem to be working on my build, are they going through the ground when you land or just sitting on the pad?

"Edit" They seem to clip into the ground sometimes, I will make the foot collision bigger so they are less buggy.

Edited by frizzank

I had some fun with the Agena, I docked it with my Gemini capsule then took it out to the mun, and suprisingly as I came back from the mun I got swung out and into minmus's SOI then back to the moon and then to an escape trajectory, without even lifting a finger! XD

This is the weirdest luck in the world

iV4Vuxb.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.