[0.19.1] Orbital Propellant Depot Olympus II

14e5dnl.jpg

A long time ago (or not, forum TIME PARADOX), when KSP didn't yet have official support for docking I built a propellant depot using the docking mods then available. I got some pretty positive responses for it.

These days with stock docking people are building huge propellant depots that dwarf the original Olympus. Nevertheless every now and then I get people asking me if I would release an updated version of Olympus. So here it is: Orbital Propellant Depot Olympus II, now with some new tricks up its sleeves...

2pri45s.jpg

Olympus II features:

• 8000L of fuel + oxidiser, 1500L of monopropellant, 2800L of Xenon and 1705 electrical charge
  • four standard docking ports for refuelling crafts
  • for jr docking ports for small refuelling crafts
  • built in small orbital manoeuvring engines
  • two man capacity
  • probe core and solar panels for autonomous control
  • two heavy duty docking ports fore and aft for expansion modules
  • Zenith VII launch vehicle for placing in LKO

Note: action group 2 toggles the three small orbital engines on and off.

Let's have a look at the Olympus II launch process:

2yjvaf4.jpg

Olympus II at launch. The original Olympus used some fancy engineering to put a custom made launch vehicle underneath and had features like a fuel lines that went up to the depot from the booster rocket so the depot could fire it's radial engines in additional to the booster's asparagus core engines once all the boosters are gone to accelerate faster. This time around since I have the Zenith rocket family available I simply designed the station (and used only three R24-77 engines, instead of the big hulking Rockomax radial), weigh it up in Engineer Redux and put an appropriate sized Zenith booster underneath and I have a finished product.

2wmgp4x.jpg

A closer look at the clustered engines on the LV with two pairs of boosters gone. Each of the six boosters are powered by three LV-T30 and a LV-T45, the core stage of the asparagus is powered by four LV-T30 and three LV-T45.

vrvi28.jpg

Last pair of asparagus staged boosters jettison in the upper atmosphere. The core stage has something like 2000m/s of delta-V and is responsible for orbital insertion.

2d8g7fb.jpg

Payload release. Notice all resources on Olympus II are still full - I've designed it so that the rocket should have enough delta-V to place the depot in LKO without having to fire up the depot's engines at all.

2q9xe8h.jpg

When you have a space station / propellant depot, you don't want spent rocket stages floating around in the same orbit as it. As with all members of the Zenith rocket family Zenith VII has a smart core stage which is equipped with probe core, electrical and RCS system for deorbit burn to clean up after itself.

1zgg9s1.jpg

34taauw.jpg

20swxz6.jpg

hv1kya.jpg

As they say "once you build a road the cars will come". With Olympus II in orbit and open for business the first wave of customers showed up.

Now if that was all there was to the propellant depot then I wouldn't have shared it considering the plenitude of other well made depot designs around. But Olympus II has one more important feature that I think sets it apart from others and it has to do with those funny looking 4x docking ports at the front and back:

2wd0uth.jpg

More on these docking ports and the modular expansion modules in my next post

Craft files:

OPD Olympus II - http://www./download.php?20ii5h5c9avclc7

HEM Poseidon - http://www./download.php?611g91f11ksnadl

PME Zeus - http://www./download.php?ae08i3ipcom83ep

Downmass Tug - http://www./download.php?gff7ttebe15a6mt

When it comes to expansion modules on space station the foremost problem is always connection strength of the docking ports. A single docking port is okay for docking between small spacecrafts or between a small spacecraft and a station, but any serious space construction effort requires stiffer connections. The solution most people go for is multiple docking ports. But the thing I don't like about using multiple docking ports is their setup. Setting them up in the VAB by eye will mean there's always going to be small errors with alignment with the most common result in orbit being some of the docking ports connect while some refuse to engage when you dock. Fortunately now that subassembly saver/loader is available we finally have a way to build pixel perfect docking solutions:

4k8kyb.jpg

2rh37k5.jpg

6oorpk.jpg

So with that bit of engineering resolved I started thinking about what modules Olympus II will need.

Habitation Extension Module Poseidon

Well first of all, seen as we already have an installation in orbit we might as well get some more habitation to go with it. So let's say a 6 man craft with some small orbital manoeuvring engines, docking capable and with some big solar panels to power all the scientific gizmo's and flat screen TVs and playstations inside. When you put these requirements together you get something like this:

Salyut.jpg

That's right, it's really a fully equipped small space station. Only unlike Salyut its propulsion unit is a lot more powerful and it has delta-V to change orbit to dock with a target. This means that should anything bad (eg, spacecraft accidentally ramming Olympus) happen it can undock from the propellant depot in a hurry and serve as a life boat, particularly if we also add re-entry capability to this spacecraft.

The end result is this:

screenshot313.jpg

Habitation Extension Module Poseidon, holding 6 Kerbals. Heavy quad docking port on one end and normal single docking port on the other. Four R24-77 engines for orbital manoeuvring. Two small solar panels and two giganator panels for more power than you know what to do with.

screenshot294.jpg

screenshot309.jpg

Launch of Poseidon atop of a Zenith II rocket.

screenshot312.jpg

Payload release. As with other members of the Zenith rocket family, Zenith II has a "smart" core stage designed to deorbit itself after payload release to ensure no space junk. For Poseidon solar panel deployment use action group 1.

screenshot321.jpg

Poseidon coming into dock with Olympus II. To open the shielded docking ports use action group 3. Action group 2 can be used to toggle on and off the main engines, useful once you are docked with something.

screenshot349.jpg

Crew transfer between Olympus II and Poseidon. One nifty feature is the matching telescopic ladders on Olympus II and Poseidon. If you dock them front to front and with the correct alignment you can extend those ladders for no-jetpack crew transfer between the three crewed modules.

Planetary Manoeuvring Engine Zeus

I set some pretty strict rules for myself when it comes to using NTR rockets. The idea being Kerbals are much like us humans and are not too keen on having high powered nuclear reactors flying overhead without some kind of plans on how to make sure they doesn't fall back down on their head. I particularly will not design spacecraft powered by nuclear engine that is intended for Kerbin re-entry. Thus the idea of a modular nuclear powered tug is attractive - once launched the tug can be docked to whatever spacecraft that need efficient deep space engine, the once the mission is over the tug can be detached, refuelled and then reused later on for another mission. This idea thus became the basis of Planetary Manoeuvring Engine Zeus.

screenshot333.jpg

screenshot337.jpg

Zeus launch. Unlike other payloads I elected to build a custom launch vehicle around Zeus rather than use a prebuilt launcher underneath. The reason is two folds:

1. That's an awful lot of thrust that I'm not using if I don't fire the Zeus at lift off

2. Putting a decoupler underneath a cluster of LV-N when LV-N has those side shredding engine shrouds means you're building an accident looking for a place to happen. A shrouded centre LV-N engine will most likely blast away all the surrounding engine upon decoupling.

screenshot339.jpg

Zeus burning for orbit. With six LV-N and 3200L of bipropellant Zeus actually has slightly better than 1 TWR at Kerbin surface fully fuelled. With max fuel level it has something absurd like 7100m/s of delta-V. It's powered by three RTGs.

screenshot344.jpg

Zeus coming into dock with Olympus. Since Zeus only has one probe core for maxRot it has very little altitude control with RCS off. So when docking I always leave RCS on. Then once I'm aligned with the target I switch on ASAS on both ships to fix the orientation and just use Zeus's RCS for translation.

screenshot353.jpg

Zeus and Poseidon, docked with Olympus II

Now that I have the whole Zeus - Olympus II - Poseidon stack assembled, I felt it was time for a trip:

screenshot361.jpg

Trans-munar injection burn

screenshot372.jpg

Success! The whole station successfully made it to Mun orbit, with two docked spacecrafts in tow too.

screenshot375.jpg

screenshot381.jpg

The best thing about a modular design is that the different parts can be rearranged to do other things. With the propellant depot successfully placed in Mun orbit and all system checked out, I decided to bring the crew back. Undocking Poseidon and Zeus from Olympus II and joining them together results in a new deep space spacecraft.

screenshot386.jpg

Trans-Kerbin injection with the newly assembled Poseidon-Zeus spacecraft.

screenshot392.jpg

Aerobraking into LKO. Remember folks if you're going to aerobrake Poseidon use action group 1 to retract the solar panels before you hit the atmosphere. With aerobraking I figure that rocket nozzles make a pretty good heat shield substitute. After all it's a structurally strong part that's designed to endure high temperature and high gas pressure - not all that dissimilar to reentry.

screenshot395.jpg

Separation between Zeus and Poseidon.

screenshot397.jpg

Separation between Poseidon's habituation module and service module.

screenshot404.jpg

screenshot408.jpg

Reentry and parachute release. I like to pretend that the shielded docking ports are re-entry hardened compared to the regular ones.

screenshot413.jpg

Crew upon return. Although the habitation module can survive hard touch down as demonstrated here I would still recommend splashdown if possible.

Now then, it's all well and good if we have Zeus floating up there in LKO waiting for a mission. But if there's no mission for it in the foreseeable future the public would probably want the space program to retrieve it and safely bring it down rather than have this Sword of Damocles hanging over their head every day. For such situations I've come up with an answer too:

screenshot414.jpg

screenshot426.jpg

screenshot427.jpg

Presenting: Downmass Tug. A space tug specifically designed to retrieve Zeus and other heavy quad docking port equipped vessels.

screenshot431.jpg

Downmass Tug docking with Zeus

screenshot457.jpg

De-orbit burn. There is a trick here with the deorbit burn - if you just want to bring the combination down then make sure you turn off the tug's engine before firing up Zeus. Alternatively if you have a lot of fuel onboard and want to burn some up to lighten the craft then you can leave the tug's engine on to fight Zeus's engine. Zeus will still overpower the tug but the long burn with engines fighting each other will quickly burn up the excess fuel.

screenshot496.jpg

screenshot497.jpg

Re-entry and parachute deployment. Zeus is specially strengthen to be able to survive the violent jolt of parachute becoming unreefed. The heavy duty docking ports are also strong enough to hold together.

screenshot504.jpg

Firing Zeus's engine before splash down to soften the impact. I recommend a splashdown speed no greater than 5m/s.

screenshot506.jpg

screenshot507.jpg

Unfortunately after splash down the combination tipped over and broke. Fortunately upon close inspection it was only the Downmass Tug that was destroyed. Zeus was intact and all the nuclear engines are still attached so I would assume there was no nuclear material leak - a successful retrieval!

Edited by Temstar

By popular request: Crew Excursion Vehicle Demeter II:

fwq7wh.jpg

6hsspz.jpg

Being designed as a space taxi ala Soyuz, Demeter II is equipped with a powerful LES system to ensure crew safety in the event of launch vehicle failure, capable of outrunning the launch vehicle during all stages of the burn. When LES is triggered the following happens:

• launch vehicle liquid fuelled engine shutdown
  • core stage retro-rocket fire
  • deploy SRB recovery chute as drag chute to slow the booster down (in the event of an abort before SRB jettison). The SRB is not decoupled from the rocket itself since the dead weight of the rocket serve as ballast to slow the SRBs down
  • emergency separation between spacecraft and rocket
  • LES abort motor fire
  • Spacecraft SM engine fire

Once the spacecraft is clear of the rocket and the LES abort motor have stopped firing. Use action group 2 to jettison the LES tower (tower jettison has two additional Sepratrons dedicated for it, so you can fire even if the six abort motors are empty).

30nejyx.jpg

On the other hand if things go well, SRBs are jettisoned at just below 5km. A cool feature is the liquid fuel tanks above the SRBs feeding the core stage - those have been fine tuned so they run out just before SRB burn out. Thus at the moment SRBs are jettisoned the core stage is still nearly fully fuelled.

iof1w2.jpg

LES tower jettison after start of gravity turn. You can do this with either stage 4 or action group 2.

2nupsw3.jpg

2e5m60x.jpg

A closer look at the core stage engines. The cluster is three LV-T30 + one LV-T45.

es5fzq.jpg

Payload release. Upon release the core stage has three retrograde Sepratrons that will fire to slow it down for deorbit, but there's only so much three Sepratrons can do so I still recommend releasing the spacecraft when you're either suborbital or just barely orbital to ensure the rocket burns up by going below 23km.

35lc77m.jpg

k189hh.jpg

A closer look at the Demeter II spacecraft. Note the service module propulsion system - two LV-909 built together using engine clustering.

Craft file: http://www./download.php?yov912e8qhxrznb

Addendum: I increased retro-Sepratrons from three to six, given their weight decrease in 0.19 patch.

Edited by Temstar

I think my CEV has better performance and more features than yours, but it doesn't have recovery parachutes.

Edit:

Here's the "Lite+" variant (I made a whole series of them while the forums where down :)).

yKu9W95.jpg

It weighs 95 tons and has the following features (and a few more):

-Probed command pod

-Backup parachute

-Soft landing retro rockets inside the command pod (also serves as a secondary abort system)

-docking light

-Backup battery and solar panel

-1.5 stage core booster

-Cool-looking LES tower :cool:

Edit2: Here's a soft landing system demo

82XnFZ9.jpg

Edited by Giggleplex777

I think my CEV has better performance and more features than yours, but it doesn't have recovery parachutes.

Oh, so it lands tail first on pure rocket thrust? It's a pretty good idea in KSP but would be hard to come up with a heat shield solution in real life to be able to get the whole thing to survive re-entry.

I have three space taxies I use in my space program. Demeter is the "middle of the road" one of the three with 1442m/s delta-V, used for general purpose missions with in Kerbin SOI, similar to Orion.

For very large missions like Apollo style landings or Interplanetary trips I use the CEV Apokee IV with high TWR SM and 2117m/s of delta-V:

ddc4k3.jpg

Here it is integrated into the Apokee Munar Sortie stack:

2e6hmd1.jpg

2ijt0js.jpg

So this is like my take on a Mars capable version of Orion.

For cases where I only need to go up to LKO to bring crew back (station, interplanetary ships coming back, etc) I use a light weight Crew Return Craft Dragonfly (ala SpaceX's Dragon) with 542m/s of delta-V:

2lqhow.jpg

You can see a Dragonfly docked to Olympus II in some of the screenshots.

I got the inspiration from the Dragonrider concept (or Soyuz, I guess). Hiding the engines inside looked better then on the side.

Edit: Here's the orbital stage of the Lite and Lite+ variants. It has about 1300 m/s and 1500 m/s of delta-v respectively. It's for LEO missions.

RYNiJ5n.jpg

Here's the orbit stage(s) of the Medium and Medium+ variants. It has about 2500 m/s and 2800 m/s of delta-v respectively. This allows it to do SLS-style Munar missions.

vuCL3Qf.jpg

And here's the Heavy and Heavy+ orbital stages, with about 4300 m/s and 4500 m/s of delta-v respectively. It's designed for interplanetary missions.

Rj3mWgr.jpg

Edited by Giggleplex777

So I´ve tried Olympus II for supply run to my Laythe colonony.

I´ve docked 2 Olympus II silos and used Zeus to push it - after I spend fuel in first Olympus (almost 90% of my Jool burn was complete) I ditched that one and countinued. I was abble to brought full orange tank of fuel onto 80km equatorial orbit of Laythe.

And yeah, by the way I used 2 docking ports on those radial tanks to bring along 2 SSTO space shuttles along. So not even I have a lot of fuel on Laythe orbit, I also have brought 2 new ships.

Next launch I took 2 Shade MKII fighters and 2 of my own JSIF Ion Fighters along for a ride, and also managed to get Laythe orbit with fuel to spare. I find Olympus system very versatile, it is not only a fuel depot, it can easily act as a space tug.

I find it more practical in role of bringing those 2 SSTOs there, because I´ve already designed my JSIF fighter with Jool drive stage - so getting solely those ships there requeries less launches (Olympus II, Zeus and then another Olympus as fuel tank and idealy another one to top all of before start).

Next misson will be to Tylo - my battle cruiser is kinda stranded without fuel, running on vapors, I have to refuel and get back to Laythe. I´m thinking about taking 2 Tylo Landers up there when I´m on my way - It takes like 17minutes burn to get Jool intercept with those 2 heavy Olympus silos and Zeus drivestage. But that qudruple docking system is great, easy to dock all four and so strong it can withstand fierce aerobraking.

The strong docking port you have set up looks like it would be really effective. I may have to use a design like that on my upcoming mission to Duna. Also you craft looks like it could be a real spacecraft. All the struts you have between your modules make the craft look rickety and industrial (in a good way). Nice Ascent stage setup as well!

Love this stuff. Tried the heavy docking port, but I can only ever get one or two ports to lock together, leaving rockets still floppy. A good idea for stock strengthening, but for me Quantum Struts are the solution I turned to. I'd also built something similar to Zeus, but with only six NTR's. I just stick a truss and a decoupler where the center engine goes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.