[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

This plugin runs on pixie dust and dreams, not good coding.

lol, you 'might' be getting a bit too complicated as your ui is now taking up MOST of the screen.

lol, you 'might' be getting a bit too complicated as your ui is now taking up MOST of the screen.

No worries, first draft.

The Filter Settings window is going to become like the main window with buttons at the top for each of the six filters and sliders below. Also a close button.

The button text will just be a number to keep it from stretching like it is in the screenshot. There will be a 5wx2h grid of buttons to show up to ten beeps. More than ten beeps will create some little left/right arrows to scroll between sets of ten.

I think that will be reasonably sized.

Is there a way that I'm missing to have Chatterer disable the probe beeps for manned vessels? When I turn down the volume on a manned vessel, I have to turn it back up when I get back to my probe.

Or better (maybe) yet, is there a way to set the preferences for each vessel?

I know the power drain is minimal but can that be turned off in a cfg? Is it hard-coded in the plugin?

Oh, and where did the actual 'chatter' go? I'm now getting beeps. Is this still 'chatterer' or has it become 'beeper'?

Oh, do I need to have a crew to get the real chatter?

Edited by togfox

Is there a way that I'm missing to have Chatterer disable the probe beeps for manned vessels? When I turn down the volume on a manned vessel, I have to turn it back up when I get back to my probe.

Or better (maybe) yet, is there a way to set the preferences for each vessel?

There's currently no way to outright disable the beeps for a manned vessel. But work on saving/loading individual vessel settings has already begun and will hopefully be in working order for next version.

I know the power drain is minimal but can that be turned off in a cfg? Is it hard-coded in the plugin?

Oh, and where did the actual 'chatter' go? I'm now getting beeps. Is this still 'chatterer' or has it become 'beeper'?

Oh, do I need to have a crew to get the real chatter?

Scotius has your answer about the chatter. Regarding the power drain, I will add an on/off toggle with gently reproachful message to the Settings section. :)

There's currently no way to outright disable the beeps for a manned vessel. But work on saving/loading individual vessel settings has already begun and will hopefully be in working order for next version.

Man I thought it was just me. I had reinstalled the mod twice because I thought I had a bad cfg or something. Per-vessel settings would be great!

... with gently reproachful message to the Settings section. :)

Why? It's a completely aesthetic piece with no functional use at all (lights do, arguably, as they increase visibility).

If anything, all you are doing is letting the player hear what should be happening via radio already ;) I'm actually wondering why there is power drain to begin with.

There is no sensible reason to install it if the drain from Chatterer is enough to cause your craft / mission to fail...right ?

Guys, its a communication between the craft and the control room, communication requires power.

Why are you fussing so much over such a minor resource drain... slap on a solar panel, if you are using a manned capsule it generates enough power and if you have probes they will need some form of renewable power (RTG's or panels), either way Chatterer wont add enough drain to be an issue.

Why? It's a completely aesthetic piece with no functional use at all (lights do, arguably, as they increase visibility).

If anything, all you are doing is letting the player hear what should be happening via radio already ;) I'm actually wondering why there is power drain to begin with.

I agree with Draeath - there's not really a sensible reason for chatter to cause power drain. All we're doing is listening to what would normally have been going on anyhow.

Doesn't seem sensible to me not to use power. Different strokes...

Power consumption can be toggled off without reproachful message in the Settings section in the latest 0.5.2+ and future versions so we can all be happy.

Guys, its a communication between the craft and the control room, communication requires power.
Doesn't seem sensible to me not to use power.

One would expect that communication is most of the reason a probe core uses power to begin with, and given that command pods generate electricity, it would seem reasonable that this is a byproduct of the fuel cells within them. The Space Shuttle, for instance.

It's not a major issue to me, it just seemed odd that a cosmetic plugin would have an in-game impact. It's certainly still worth using, though I'm glad I'll be able to toggle off power drain.

One would expect that communication is most of the reason a probe core uses power to begin with, and given that command pods generate electricity, it would seem reasonable that this is a byproduct of the fuel cells within them. The Space Shuttle, for instance.

It's not a major issue to me, it just seemed odd that a cosmetic plugin would have an in-game impact. It's certainly still worth using, though I'm glad I'll be able to toggle off power drain.

OK, I don't know where you guys are getting this but my capsules don't generate any kind of power. This must be a product of some mod that people have and just don't know it. My capsules have a battery that can store power. However, they will run out given you don't add any power source. Check that you don't have power generator turned on in your romfarer mod. I use lazer docking cam and if I turn on the power generator option the ships have cheat power.

Otherwise this is a misnomer. No capsules generate power that I know of. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but all of my capsules require a power source. Manned or unmanned. YMMV.

Iannic, may i have a request of sorts? Could you add some R2-D2 style bleeps and boops? It would be hilariously awesome :D

You can do this as easily as I can. Find a sound (ogg and wav supported, unsure about other formats) you want as a beep, rename it something like beep_12 so it looks like the other beeps, and put it in the Sounds folder.

I'm hesitant to include anything that might even resemble Lucas property in the download. I really don't want to get any mail from legal departments.

On a related note, I just found this article on using Unity procedural audio to generate sound from script only. Going to give it a whirl after I finish up unfinished things.

QUESTION! Since I don't have my software set up. What exactly is being sent in those SSTV signals?

SSTV album

Some mine, some pillaged from a screenshot thread.

Not getting any crew chatter since updating to the latest DLL. Beeps are working as well as SSTV, just no Kerbal speak. Any suggestions on what to look at to fix it? I added the paths in for the sound clips since there weren't any. Is this the full path from the root of the drive?