[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

the Anchor is not meant to attach to the ground, If you need a solid ground hit use the hook. The anchor takes a bit of grace, since you can pull it off the ground with to much buoyancy.

Anchors simply provide weight and drag, more importantly, they touch the ground enabling you to save/switch vessles with an airship mid air.

"Why not just use a hook then" you say...well...anchors can be deployed not only to hold your place, but also slow ya down (a bit...don't throw anchor if yer haulin ass) With the hook you need to be moving VERY slow before ya fire it into the ground....otherwise things get smashed...green dudes die

I can't get this to work at all. No matter what, whenever I retract the winch and dock, the thing just spins out of control. I don't have SAS turned on, or even on these ships. The entire station and orbiter all start spinning as if they weigh half a ton

So I messed around and tryed this mod out, now.. with a grapling hook/connector: Once its on a part of a plane/fuel tank I cant release it from the plane/fuel tank without releasing the hook with the part and loose the hook. Am I missing something? (didn't go EVA, do I really have to?)

Why is the radial winch gone? I want a convenient EVA tether for the shuttle, but those radial ones are way too bulky.

Looks like it might have been, but for some reason for me now it's just blank white box where the post was.

Works fine here, even when forcing a reload. Might want to check your connection/firewall/stuff like that :)

Edited by Camacha

So I was wondering whether in an upcoming update we'd get a radial winch? The default KAS is sorely missing one as sometimes there just isn't a spot for either.

Luckily I've modified the vertical winches part.cfg to allow it to be attached radially and it works quite nicely, although it'll be pulled off if the thing being pulled is stuck behind something, although that is easily fixed using struts. It would be nice however for this to be in the default behaviour of the mod.

So I was wondering whether in an upcoming update we'd get a radial winch? The default KAS is sorely missing one as sometimes there just isn't a spot for either.

Luckily I've modified the vertical winches part.cfg to allow it to be attached radially and it works quite nicely, although it'll be pulled off if the thing being pulled is stuck behind something, although that is easily fixed using struts. It would be nice however for this to be in the default behaviour of the mod.

use a berthing node, like the single node from kosmos pack or something similar

use a berthing node, like the single node from kosmos pack or something similar

That's just as round-a-bout as my solution of just making one of the winches radially-mountable. Plus I prefer my method because it means the mod will work as a self-contained unit.

Either way, a single bit flip makes it work so it's a non-issue.

Hello fellow Kerbonauts, and space mechanics

Now my rescue missions have the ability to salvage/repair minor damage on downed vessels.

I've decided my Kerman's in their spacesuits can grab anything up to 0.1 mass, So I created this KAS2Stockparts.cfg to replace in EVA the most common fragile parts. (header contains part list)

All I did was follow SVoyager youtube demo part2 on how to add .cfg's to give 'grab/attach' capability to most parts. Cool demo :)

Feel free to use and abuse. Requires ModuleManager.dll from Ialdabada....doth.

Parts I left out for now: Aerodynamics and a few structs below 0.1 mass. When structs break, usually there's nothing left to repair.

Parts I fail to add: ladders and wheels. All help on these is welcome.

Advice: Never go IVA while grabbing any part, they vanish into 'Null Pointer Exception'. Some parts have large colliders and may bump your vessel, Remember to F5.

My Kudos to you KospY, great Mod.

Hello Everyone!

I'm having several issues with KAS for 0.20.

So I haven't played KSP since 19.1 so a lot has changed since I last played.

1) When I tried to install KAS, I didn't place the contents in the "GameData" folder of KSP, instead placed them in the folders that I would have in 19.1 (Later I also undid my install and tried placing them in the GameData folder as well). Whenever I use anything involving KAS, I get a screen full of yellow error messages about missing textures and sound files.

2) Has anyone had an issue with the electromagnet detaching mid-warp? I was trying to bring a rover to the mun to test it out and while I was warping, I lost the rover. The rover wasn't perfectly aligned (The GUI said the cable had 0.01 left to retract although I'm not sure if that matters).

The configuration I used was Winch > Connector > Electromagnet

3) Another thing that weirded me out was that I couldn't attach anything to the Electromagnet in VAB using this configuration (Any suggestions?). I had to load my rover, drive it off the launch pad, load my ship, and attach the rover to the magnet.

If anyone could offer any advice or suggestions, that would help GREATLY! :)

Love the mod but I have come across a slight issue. When using a winch attached to a rover the controls get changed to ship controls and I can't get them back. In my case I have controls mapped to both keyboard and gamepad. In both cases the controls end up in the wrong mode so I can confirm this. On my gamepad I end up with my yaw control instead of rover throttle, and on keyboard I get translate instead of rover throttle. A bit of a nuisance because I wanted to use the winches for recovery vehicles but other than that they work great.

nautical terminology has always been associated with space(in a basic sense), and the anchoring system is mainly used to work with the Airships to Jool mod which allows you to keep an airship from floating in a random direction when performing specific tasks like picking up heavy loads and refueling reusable SSTOs(in style of course!)

But anyway, I've been facing an issue with KAS making my ships move very strangely. whenever I move the navball, my ship shifts on it's vertical axis slightly before making it's move. When ASAS is enabled, the machine shakes violently and in turn increases my drag exponentially. I ended up spending well over 5000 Delta-V just to get into LKO! No for reference, I have my orbital launch down to a science, so I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal. Now the reason I'm targeting KAS for this is because the moment I removed it from my game, everything went back to normal. Any theories on why this would happen?

Is there any chance you can provide the magnetic 'end' from the winch line as a separate part that I can attach to, say, a robotic arm, so we can use attachment points as grapple points on payloads to be moved by an arm?

Any theories on why this would happen?

Theory: You have an outdated KAS.dll in legacy plugin directory.

This sounds very much like the previously experienced center of mass shifting bug that was caused by pre-0.20 plugin flickering KAS parts in and out of existence.

hai, having trouble locking my rover back to my lander. it says 'Connected parts not aligned! Locking impossible.' although the rover is hanging perfectly still below the lander. not working in either docked or undocked mode. tried to fiddle around with it a bit to no avail. do you guys have any tips or workarounds?

vpFWlRL.jpg

edit: do you think my design is flawed or are there any known issues with locking not working as reliably as before?

Edited by Honeybadga

@ diggydax - make sure your using the most recent version of KAS, there has been a couple hotfix updates since the 0.20 update, also make sure your using the most recent build of all mods, as many have had hotfixs and issues since 0.20

@Ratcamper - how are you connecting the 2 vessles in question? Keep in mind it is possible to dock with KAS, making both vessles behave as if they were connected via docking clamps....could this be causing the control cross up?

@Bozo - you kinda look a bit to far away to attach in the screen shot...so far to attach ive had to be kissin the part im trying to hook stuff too

@Honeybadga - sometimes the cable behaves kinda like a real winch in cable bind (i even noticed it some before 0.20) let it out a bit and try to respool, if that don't work drop tha cargo and redo it...i know, kinda a pain in the tail, but only thing ive found to work. Also if a cable ever wont retract after an anchoring drag the hook/magnet along the ground till it gets taunt, then respool(this happens on my airships every so often)

@Honeybadga - sometimes the cable behaves kinda like a real winch in cable bind (i even noticed it some before 0.20) let it out a bit and try to respool, if that don't work drop tha cargo and redo it...i know, kinda a pain in the tail, but only thing ive found to work. Also if a cable ever wont retract after an anchoring drag the hook/magnet along the ground till it gets taunt, then respool(this happens on my airships every so often)

Thanks for the help, mate.

Theory: You have an outdated KAS.dll in legacy plugin directory.

This sounds very much like the previously experienced center of mass shifting bug that was caused by pre-0.20 plugin flickering KAS parts in and out of existence.

This is happening in a fresh install

I cant manage to get the mod working. I downloaded the new update for the mod off of Space Port. I put all the items in there respective folders but where the heck do I put the Source file?

Also none of the parts show up. So in sense I completely failed to instal this mod. I have done it before 0.20 but I cant get it to work again.

I need some help :(

I cant manage to get the mod working. I downloaded the new update for the mod off of Space Port. I put all the items in there respective folders but where the heck do I put the Source file?

Also none of the parts show up. So in sense I completely failed to instal this mod. I have done it before 0.20 but I cant get it to work again.

I need some help :(

your installing it wrong. most mods don't get installed in the same way as prior to 0.20

simply unzip the file and move the entire 'KAS' folder into the KSP GameData folder