[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

I recommend using a better folder browser... I found one online that was released to public domain (I don't know the author, but it took a bit to find) that works way better and lets you type paths out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44607898/FolderSelectDialog.cs

It looks like an open file dialog except it selects folders.

vyP28VW.png

It's way easier to select folders with this than the default browser.

Edited by gurgle528

Hi gurgle528,

thats a great FolderDialog!

Can you give me a link to the site where you have found this, so i can include a proper link and license information to my Docs.

Then i could implement this cool dialog!

EDIT:

i think i found it here =)

So i'll implement it in the next quick update.

Btw I'll guess that you have missed to add the Reflector class in your dropbox file ;)

Edited by MacTee

Great idea. I just tried your program. But even tho I specified the correct KSP "install folder" it shows an empty mod list?

You have to press the Scan button on the ModSelection tab to start the ModScan for already installed mods.

But i recomand to start over with a new KSP install and add your mods via KSP MA.

Is there a way to open a second instance of the mod? That'd be cool for some situations (modding a new/separate install with the same mods one used before in another installation).

Also, from where does KSPMA fetch "mod urls" for updating purposes? Only Spaceport and Forum? Or is that just an "unused note"?

It would be awesome if KSPMA could use KerbalStuff and Curse for updating purposes. Both seem to be used more and more for up/downloading mods, as far as "standardized pages" go (Dropbox is also heavily used, but meh :D)

In addition, it would be great if KSPMA would support DropBox, if a user-set URL was provided.

Okay, downloading via CurseForge "should" be supported, I found the button.... But using a Curse-URLs like

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb-220221

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220894-kw-rocketry

in the "Add" dialogue resulted in "Illegal characters in path."

Also, downloading KW Rocketry from CurseForge via internal browser fails. MechJeb worked.

Edited by cy-one

Hi gurgle528,

thats a great FolderDialog!

Can you give me a link to the site where you have found this, so i can include a proper link and license information to my Docs.

Then i could implement this cool dialog!

EDIT:

i think i found it here =)

So i'll implement it in the next quick update.

Btw I'll guess that you have missed to add the Reflector class in your dropbox file ;)

Oh, yes you found the correct URL. As for the Reflector class, yes, I missed it not only with the Dropbox link but I forget to put it in every time I make a new project that uses it... My bad :)

Installed 1.4.0 PR13: Still testing. Looks like downloads are messed up (think I saw that you knew that upthread though.). Found an interesting case you might want to take a look at. When attempting to download MechJeb (http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb-220221) from Curseforge in the ModBrowser tab, the status box states "Mod download started ... Mod download failed!". This is what shows up in the KSPMA log:

[08.09.2014 21:09:43.078] [1] [697] Info    : Mod download started ...
[08.09.2014 21:09:43.942] [1] [735] Error : Illegal characters in path.
Exception: System.ArgumentException
StackTrace:
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at KSPModAdmin.Utils.CurseForgeHelper.DownloadMod(ModInfo& modInfo, DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler downloadProgressHandler)
at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModSelection.HandleModAddViaCurseForge(String curseForgeURL, String modName, Boolean installAfterAdd, DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler downloadProgressHandler)
at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModBrowser.<>c__DisplayClass7.<DownloadMod>b__3()
at AsyncTask`1.Run(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

The download link is: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb-220221/files/latest

Have not had a chance to test the update-warning functionality yet. Will let you know.

This is some awesome work. You know that? I for one greatly appreciate the work you are doing on this.

OH! Almost forgot. Stumbled on this while working another project. Might be an alt to the iexplorer control you have. Or it could be a lot more work. Worth a look at least:

https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

Edited by TheAlmightyOS

KSPMA is awesome, the only real thing that really bugs me is that conflicts are folder based instead of file based (folder should only show orange if a regular file in it is conflicting with another mod).

Concur. The conflict being about folders remains one of the most visible quirks with this tool (reported since 8th May about version 1.4PR8, sorry for the self-reference). Hope it may soon be tamed.

Is there a way to open a second instance of the mod? That'd be cool for some situations (modding a new/separate install with the same mods one used before in another installation).

Also, from where does KSPMA fetch "mod urls" for updating purposes? Only Spaceport and Forum? Or is that just an "unused note"?

It would be awesome if KSPMA could use KerbalStuff and Curse for updating purposes. Both seem to be used more and more for up/downloading mods, as far as "standardized pages" go (Dropbox is also heavily used, but meh :D)

In addition, it would be great if KSPMA would support DropBox, if a user-set URL was provided.

Two instances of KSP MA could cause problems with saving the cfg files (last wins).

A user could accidently open two instances. Both will open up with the same KSP path. If you change the mods in instance B and close it, instance A wouldn't notice it and if you close the instance A it will override the "new" cfg file with "old" infos.

So i won't reenable mutli instances again.

But for the situation you have pictured, you could use the Export/Import feature to create a new KSP install with the same mods like the old one.

KSP MA supports CurseForge and KSPForum links for the update check. May be you refer to a not updated note or label text (could you point me to it). The new KSP MA aOS will support curse and dropbox (limited) too. About supporting KurbleStuff i have to talk to the creator if he could make a small API for a easy update check for a mod.

EDIT: I just found this API info site of KerbalStuff. I guess there will be a KerbelStuff support ;)

Okay, downloading via CurseForge "should" be supported, I found the button.... But using a Curse-URLs like

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb-220221

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220894-kw-rocketry

in the "Add" dialogue resulted in "Illegal characters in path."

Also, downloading KW Rocketry from CurseForge via internal browser fails. MechJeb worked.

Installed 1.4.0 PR13: Still testing. Looks like downloads are messed up (think I saw that you knew that upthread though.). Found an interesting case you might want to take a look at. When attempting to download MechJeb (http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb-220221) from Curseforge in the ModBrowser tab, the status box states "Mod download started ... Mod download failed!". This is what shows up in the KSPMA log:

[08.09.2014 21:09:43.078] [1] [697] Info    : Mod download started ...
[08.09.2014 21:09:43.942] [1] [735] Error : Illegal characters in path.
Exception: System.ArgumentException
StackTrace:
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at KSPModAdmin.Utils.CurseForgeHelper.DownloadMod(ModInfo& modInfo, DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler downloadProgressHandler)
at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModSelection.HandleModAddViaCurseForge(String curseForgeURL, String modName, Boolean installAfterAdd, DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler downloadProgressHandler)
at KSPModAdmin.Views.ucModBrowser.<>c__DisplayClass7.<DownloadMod>b__3()
at AsyncTask`1.Run(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

The download link is: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220221-mechjeb-220221/files/latest

Have not had a chance to test the update-warning functionality yet. Will let you know.

This is some awesome work. You know that? I for one greatly appreciate the work you are doing on this.

Thanks, thats a known an already fixed issue. But sadly only for the new branch of my KSP MA. I guess i have to throw out another PR to fix this and get ride of the presure ;) ... another delay for KSP MA aOS ... =)

OH! Almost forgot. Stumbled on this while working another project. Might be an alt to the iexplorer control you have. Or it could be a lot more work. Worth a look at least:

https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

ohh thats a nice one, but i guess there is no mono support for it. And that meens i can't use it for the new KSP MA aOS. =/

KSPMA is awesome, the only real thing that really bugs me is that conflicts are folder based instead of file based (folder should only show orange if a regular file in it is conflicting with another mod).
Concur. The conflict being about folders remains one of the most visible quirks with this tool (reported since 8th May about version 1.4PR8, sorry for the self-reference). Hope it may soon be tamed.

Yes, i know that the first (old) throw of conflict detection and solving is crapy (but still helpful), and i know that i've promised to redo it with the new KSP MA aOS. =)

Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a while, the army life is crazy. I'm currently on "deployment" in Korea!

Welcome back! I hope you'r well! =)

EDIT: Woot, 100k views =)

Edited by MacTee

One little sneak peak:

yuukjizsdqz9.png

And a question:

What columns/buttons you want on the ModSeletion TreeView, the ModInfo panel or the ContextMenu?

New top featurs will be:

- runs on any OS (with mono)

- easy localization support

Edited by MacTee

Only other thing I can add is to be able to resolve conflicts per file, something like this:

[table="width: 500", class: grid]

[tr]

[td]File1[/td]

[td]Dropdown with mods that can manage this file[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]File2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]File3[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

And a question:

What columns/buttons you want on the ModSeletion TreeView, the ModInfo panel or the ContextMenu?

About the Mod TreeView, I would like the ability to show or hide any of the columns (to be chosen from the ModInfo), to keep the ability of sorting by any column (like already exists in 1.4PRxx), and add the ability to resize any of the displayed columns (and save the configuration with the chosen columns and sizes). Unless another solution is chosen, therefore a button to open a "column selection dialog". Other buttons already used with 1.4 PRxx are fine for me with all the panels.

It might me nice to have an option to show and hide folder conflicts.

I also think it'd be good if there were was a column with little icons to indicate installed, outdated, conflict. Sometimes you have more than one of those affecting a mod at once and colour coding can only show one at a time.

Edited by Lucid Hills

It might me nice to have an option to show and hide folder conflicts.

I also think it'd be good if there were was a column with little icons to indicate installed, outdated, conflict. Sometimes you have more than one of those affecting a mod at once and colour coding can only show one at a time.

I concur. You can have an installed outdated mod conflicting with a mod you are about to install. Knowing that information will change how you proceed

Edited by TheAlmightyOS

What are the chances of KSPMA being able to read some sort of a manifest of a mod? The manifest would contain the info on the mode (name, description, version, homepage url, DEPENDENCIES (with versions)). Think rpm/deb type stuff. :)

I just installed the new version. Is it true that, to install local mods (as I like to download them first), I need to select Add, then select the little search icon, then select one mod to add it?

Though one click extra, this is fairly annoying when adding a list of mods. I use the Mod Manager because it is easy, not because I need more hassle :)

I just installed the new version. Is it true that, to install local mods (as I like to download them first), I need to select Add, then select the little search icon, then select one mod to add it?

Though one click extra, this is fairly annoying when adding a list of mods. I use the Mod Manager because it is easy, not because I need more hassle :)

You can drag and drop multiple mods to the ModSelection. Multi Add via the Add Dialog is disabled for now.

What are the chances of KSPMA being able to read some sort of a manifest of a mod? The manifest would contain the info on the mode (name, description, version, homepage url, DEPENDENCIES (with versions)). Think rpm/deb type stuff. :)

Yes, i hope i could implement the discussed package handling from "Combining efforts on proper mod management framework / tools / platform"

@diomedea, Lucid Hills and TheAlmightyOS:

Thanks for the input for the coulmns question ;)

Edited by MacTee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.