[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

Hi Tic-Tac,

i need some more informations.

Whitch Windows version are you using, is it your first use of KSP MA, did you extract the complete Zip archive or just the .exe, is therer a KSPMA.log file in the folder of KSP MA if so is there a error logged? Could you double check if .net is installed (here you can see how)? What do you mean with "Using the "Updater" doesn't change anything, it only makes an application with a name a little bit different."?

Hi,

I am using Windows Vista(not sure of the exact version, where can I find that?), I never used your Mod Admin, I extracted everything(dowloaded 1.4.0 from your site).

Nothing obvious changed in the folders that i extractedn no new files(no log). Net is installed, I tried installing it and it told me that I already have this version or higher of dotNet.

If I try launching the second .exe (the updater), it does the same thing: I have a task in my taskmanager that uses exactly 48k and that I can't stop, named "KSPModAdmin_Updater.exe"

The updater exe won't work if you start it with a double click. This exe is for internal use from KSP MA.

New questions: =)

Is it possible, that your virus scanner blocks the app?

Where do you have extracted the KSP MA archive to (Desktop, Programs, ...)?

Sometimes KSP MA needs admin rights to work properly, could you try to run it in AdminMode.

Start KSP MA in admin mode with:

- a right click on the KSPModAdmin.exe and choose "Run as Admin"

or for a permanent change:

- right click the KSPModAdmin.exe

- choose properties

- choose compatibility

- check the "Run as Admin" CheckBox at the bottom.

- press OK.

Please give the 1.3.11 version from the first post, a try too.

Edited by MacTee

First, I want to thank you very much for making such an invaluable tool! This has greatly improved my modding experience with KSP. However, I have this bug to report (is there a better place to report bugs?)

1. I am using ModBrowser at URL http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29

2. Click 'Download Mod' button in toolbar

3. Receive .NET Exception indicating a 404 error.

Usually I wouldn't worry about a 404 error, but I cannot determine what URL is being attempted. The .NET exception information does not include the URL attempted, and the zip download does work on that forum page.

Thanks again!

edit: (wow, this is my first post? I've been around for 3 years! lol)

First, I want to thank you very much for making such an invaluable tool! This has greatly improved my modding experience with KSP. However, I have this bug to report (is there a better place to report bugs?)

1. I am using ModBrowser at URL http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29

2. Click 'Download Mod' button in toolbar

3. Receive .NET Exception indicating a 404 error.

Usually I wouldn't worry about a 404 error, but I cannot determine what URL is being attempted. The .NET exception information does not include the URL attempted, and the zip download does work on that forum page.

Thanks again!

edit: (wow, this is my first post? I've been around for 3 years! lol)

Hi celendis,

hmm for now i have no idea why this download failed.

If you copy the URL from the Zip : ModuleManager-2.1.4.zip and past it into you browsers url box, the download will fail too (not on every try) but if you click the link it will work without problems =(

I think i'll take out the auto download link detection, so you can select and start the download manually.

As a workaround you can direct download the mod with the ModBrowser (just browse to the mod site and download the mod) KSP MA will add that mod without ModInfos. But if you copy the URL of the mod and then edit the ModInfo (right click on the mod in the ModSelection) and paste the URL to the corisponding URL TextBox (don't forget check the version control) and then press the button next to the URL TextBoxes. KSP MA will then download the ModInfos of the mod, so you have the mod update feature support.

Hey everyone:

I just downloaded MA and I was excited to install all my mods with it, but every time I run the application KSPModAdmin it opens only for 3 seconds, then closes and deletes itself.

Any idea to what's going on? I'm using version 1.4.0_PR10.

EDIT: *see newer post*

Edited by Darklaser72
See new post

Hi Darklaser72,

just to make things clear. you have started KSPModAdmin.exe, not the KSPModAdmin_Updater.exe right? =)

The only code snippet that deletes the KSPModAdmin.exe is in the updater.exe

So i guess that your virus scanner has problems with KSP MA (check the quarantine and/or log of your virus scanner and add KSP MA to the whitelist.

Is it possible that you run avast! as virus scanner?

Maybe the admin trick from above post (#478) will help.

Turns out it was Norton 360. I know, I know, Norton sucks =P. But it flagged it as having the process: SONAR.Heuristic.120. I did a quick Google search and came up with this: "SONAR.Heuristic.120 is a heuristic detection for processes based on certain attributes." Discovered: January 13, 2014 Updated: January 13, 2014 9:19:06 AM Type: Trojan, Virus Infection Length: Varies."

Thanks for being so helpful so quickly :)

By the way, in the Options pane, in the Post download action:, you've got a little typo: "Ask for auto intal". Hahah, nothing major but thought I'd point it out.

Also, I feel like I read somewhere that you could put mods on AND still play on a vanilla (no-mods) version, while still having both and not having much trouble. Is that possible or am I imagining things?

Thanks for the typo! If anything else is wrong or sound bad let me know =)

When you have downloaded a fresh KSP version you can copy the complete install folder to another place and run KSP from that moved folder (even Steam installs).

I would recommend to keep a vanilla version on your HD and only add mods to a copy. This way you can play what ever version you want, without the need of uninstall all mods from your KSP install.

But:

If you have a ksp install and you want to get ride of all installed mods without removing them from the KSP MA ModSelection, just uncheck all mods and press "All Mods". This will delete the unchecked mods from the KSP install but they are still in the ModSelection.

That's right =)

EDIT:

But i recommand to create a new copy of the updated KSP install and readd your mods.

You can export a ModPack from your outdated KSP install and import it to the updated one.

But be aware that some mods may crash now ;)

Edited by MacTee

Nice, thanks! ;)

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm a bit stuck now that I've downloaded all the mods I want to use and add. When I open the Add+ dialogue box, I find the mod .ZIP file in a folder I made specifically to hold all of the mod .ZIP files. I click on one, then click add, but it gives me this error:

Error while reading Mod Zip-File

Error message: Could not load file or assembly 'SharpCompress, Version=0.10.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=beaf6f427e128133' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I've tried it with two other mods in my folder but no success. Sorry but I have no idea what this means =P

My only request is to add an option to update to the latest PR release. The current method seems to only upgrade major versions.

Also, the scan button has a behavior that doesn't completely intuitive.

I download all mods to a specific mod folder, f:\games\mods , which holds my many mod zips.

When the scan button is activated, it looks in the GameData folder for manually installed mods, which obviously doesn't detect that there is a new mod downloaded.

I would expect that the scan button would look to the declared mod folder first, to see if there is anything new and to give me the opportunity to install the mod. The current behavior simply looks to see if I manually installed a mod instead. Of course, the tooltext does explicitly state thats what that Scan button does, so perhaps a second button to scan the declared mod folder would be a benefit?

Ow, Okay, your Mod Admin worked in Admin mod(hehe, ironic), but it seems like I have to launch it.

I can't seem to be able to do a permanent change to the admin rights on it though, the "Run as admin" box is grey and uncheckable.

Doesn't really matter, it's not like I'll have to use the program every time I launch the game.

Thanks a lot !

@Pondafarr:

yeah, i thought about a PR update feature. i'll figure something out ;)

Hmm the scan button does exactly what it should do. :) If you want to add a mod use the add button and click the button next to the path Textbox (in the add dialog) to chose a mod from your mod direcory.

@Tic-Tac:

Good to hear it's working now =)

As requested.

Yep my game is heavily modded. I'm working on a TC/mod of my own. I use source control so that when I introduce new mods I can quickly back out anything that causes problems.

After installing KSP Mod Admin, I opened it up (over my current build) as you would and took it for a test-drive. Primarily I changed a few categories on some parts (useful feature). I then fired up KSP with my current build and lo, my KSO parts had vanished. I checked my files. KSO directory was just gone. I promptly uninstalled KSP Mod Admin and rolled back to a previous build.

I'm just jumping back into using this tool and I'm a little puzzled on how to do the conflict resolution.

I have one mod offering additions to another one, and I don't want *either* mod to own the folder in question.

For the moment I'm just going to ignore conflict checking and just do it by hand. :)

@AlphaAsh :

Thanks for the details!

I still have no idea how KSP MA could have deleted your KSO mod, without unchecking it and not pressing one of the proceed buttons.

May be it is related to the part category changing.

Was the complete mod folder deleted or just some parts (maybe the parts you have chagned the category)?

Did you ever press one of the Proceed buttons? was/is the KSO mod checked?

When you have used KSP MA on your already modded KSP dir, how did you got the mods to the ModSelection?

@Beetlecat:

Yes the conflict detecting is not complete yet. It's the first throw. You can turn it off on the Options/Misc tab.

Sry for any inconvenience!

@AlphaAsh :

Thanks for the details!

I still have no idea how KSP MA could have deleted your KSO mod, without unchecking it and not pressing one of the proceed buttons.

May be it is related to the part category changing.

Was the complete mod folder deleted or just some parts (maybe the parts you have chagned the category)?

Did you ever press one of the Proceed buttons? was/is the KSO mod checked?

When you have used KSP MA on your already modded KSP dir, how did you got the mods to the ModSelection?

- Complete mod folder was deleted.

- Never pressed one of the proceed buttons.

- Didn't look to see if the KSO is/was checked. After installing KSP MA it had already done what I assume is an initial inventory of the GameData folder. I didn't have to "check in/out" anything. I just set about playing with the change category feature without really checking over the initial file inventory. I can confirm that the build of my TC/Mod did initially include KSO before installing KSP MA.

- The mods were already inventoried immediately upon running KSP MA first time after install IIRC.

I'll freeze my current build and see if I can replicate the issue again. Fingers crossed this is a case of user-stupidity because I like this mod a lot.

Feature request: Obviously KSP MA is very good at reading in cfg files. Any chance you could expand KSP MA to be able to edit other parameters in a cfg file? This would mean it becomes a very useful cfg editor when I can't be arsXXX ahem bothered to fire up Notepad++.

Cheers in advance.

- Complete mod folder was deleted.

- Never pressed one of the proceed buttons.

- Didn't look to see if the KSO is/was checked. After installing KSP MA it had already done what I assume is an initial inventory of the GameData folder. I didn't have to "check in/out" anything. I just set about playing with the change category feature without really checking over the initial file inventory. I can confirm that the build of my TC/Mod did initially include KSO before installing KSP MA.

- The mods were already inventoried immediately upon running KSP MA first time after install IIRC.

I'll freeze my current build and see if I can replicate the issue again. Fingers crossed this is a case of user-stupidity because I like this mod a lot.

Thanks for your effort!

Feature request: Obviously KSP MA is very good at reading in cfg files. Any chance you could expand KSP MA to be able to edit other parameters in a cfg file? This would mean it becomes a very useful cfg editor when I can't be arsXXX ahem bothered to fire up Notepad++.

A part/craft editor (with ModuleManager support) is on my todo list, but first i have to fix some more bugs and get the offical release of 1.4.0 ready. =)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.