confused at mach

harry c

I Know how fast the speed of sound is and how it changes by the medium through which it travels i was wondering why ,when i went trans sonic there were no effects. damn last time i ask something here.

The game renders re-entry effects only above 10km and mach only below 10km regardless of speed. At sea level you'll start to see much effects appear on your aircraft between mach 0.75 and 0.8, increasing in effect until mach 1.

• 3 years later...

There definitely is a sound barrier in KSP, in that drag increases dramatically at that point. Turn on the AeroGUI in the alt-F12 menu and you can see your current Mach number and drag. The air-breathing engines' thrust curves are all keyed to Mach number rather than absolute speed.

Kerbin's size isn't really a factor, the atmosphere is fairly similar to Earth's.

There are two different visual effects: The whitish "Mach effects" and the reddish "reentry effects". The Mach effects start to appear as the craft approaches the sound barrier and continue for a while afterwards. They're harmless and are basically just a pretty effect. The reentry effects occur at much higher speeds, and they are an indication of significant atmospheric heating. Few parts can survive sustained exposure at those speeds (especially the frontmost part), it is best to keep climbing and get to thinner air or slow down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.