Problem with thrust/FX on engine model

Hi all,

Even when using a duplicate .cfg file from a LiqudFuel booster, an engine I modeled won't produce any thrust or FX (but makes sound and animates properly) and I can't figure out what's causing it. Is there any part of the modelling steps I've missed? If it's not the cfg file, what's causing that problem?

thanks

The most common cause of this is not correcting naming the object on the model file that you want the thrust to be applied to (the thrustVectorTransformName property). It is case sensitive.

This was exactly it - I tried to reply to my own topic but it wasn't approved. So for anyone googling and finding this thread: create an empty game object in unity and name it (like EndlessWaves said) EXACTLY the same as thrustVectorTransformName in your cfg file, as well as rotating it so the blue arrow is facing the direction you want thrust to exit your engine.

Cheers!

Yes, you need thrustTransform empty game object with the blue arrow facing in the direction of the thrust. Green arrow for RCS thrusters, and that's a different game object, RCSThrust

If you still havent figured out how to fix this problem, I would be more than willing to talk you through it on skype or something since I pretty much just figured it out the other day when creating a nuclear generator (it glows red when in use)

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, mindseyemodels said:

could someone please provide a step by step instruction(with pics) on how to create/implement thrust transforms? I need a tutorial that is actually useful

UA4peFk.png

Hi been posting this image off and on for 5 years, and it's been helpful to many

Things to note  the thrustTransform must be outside any colliders , if it is inside a collision box then thrust will be blocked .

Like all KSP the names are pretty much irrelevant as long as the name in unity thrustTransform is the same as used in the part cfg

You can fit as many or as few thrust transforms as you want , but for best performance you must ensure that they are symmetrical, oddly placed transforms result in oddly vectored or imbalanced thrust

Engines in KSP are always aligned as in the pic above.

also could you help me with something? it is a node giving me trouble plus an engine failing to work properly the x y z coordinates of the face I want the node to be on are 0, -0.75478, -0.00152 and the node coordinates in the config file are 0, -0.00152, -0.75478, 0, 0, -1, 1 also the thrust transform is broken it is in the right spot and the cfg file is targeting the right one but no thrust whatsoever and this is a REALLY powerful engine and the problem with the node is it is a little in front of the face I want it to be ON do you think the node placement is causing the issue?

39 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

also could you help me with something?

You'd be better off starting a thread to ask about this rather than hiding what could be useful info in  4 year old post.

Re everything else without seeing the cfg, and a screenshot of the unity set up it's difficult to say

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

You'd be better off starting a thread to ask about this rather than hiding what could be useful info in  4 year old post.

Re everything else without seeing the cfg, and a screenshot of the unity set up it's difficult to say

then come over to my tr-3b mod dev thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.