[0.21] OrbitalConstruction Redux 4.2 (Kethane + EL Compatibility Update)

Interfect

Perfect. Simply perfect. I assume you could still launch containers full of rocket parts, like OC does now, right? I see my workflow as: launch spacedock, construct EL pad at spacedock, land pad, etc., because launching the whole pad atop a rocket looks silly (and atmospherically unfeasible :D).

Yes, this will not change. The rocketparts could also come from an EL facility on the mun, or even ore from the mun to an orbital station which processes the ore and stuff into Rocketparts using EL's processing modules, then assembling using OC.

Please tell me KASPAR is being incorporated here.

Any container which holds the right resource type will work. So if someone made a KASPAR container for RocketParts, it would work.

OK, now there is another planned change also:

The "spacebuilt part" will be abandoned, and OC will share EL's UI - you will control the building platform, then bring up a menu and select a craft file from there like you were loading it, instead of controlling the ship to be "built" before it is even "built".

If it is at all possible, I would also like to create the new craft attached or even "inside" of the building station.

Hello everyone!

FWIW, I've updated this to be a proper 0.20 mod, and fixed the black parts issue.

New download here!

EDIT: Having actually read evilC's comments in this thread, I'm perfectly happy with people making derivatives of this, or contributing back code to me or whatever. That being said, it's originally Zorkinian's mod, and I never bothered to get permission to hack on it myself, so if you care you may want to get permission from them too.

Edited by Interfect

So I should ask, Interfect, are you working with EvilC now? If not you should, he made a lot of progress while you were afk. This mod has tons of potential. Specially with 2 guys working on it.

EDIT: If that sounded bossy, please enjoy this puppy

45rmHW9.jpg

It's not bossy. I noticed EvilC gave some much-needed love to the UI. I've contacted them and gotten their changes merged for a Version 3, which is now up for download in the first post.

Also, here's another mirror: http://filesmelt.com/dl/OrbitalConstructuion_Redux_3.0_0_.20_.zip

I also have a part that makes SpareParts out of Kethane, but it uses a model from the Kethane pack, and I'm still trying to get special dispensation to redistribute that.

Edited by Interfect

I have been writing a build menu for EL, with the intention of using the same build menu for OC.

I have partial fills, separate Jetfuel / Rocketfuel sliders, supports any resource, etc etc working.

I will probably fork now that interfect is back. I plan to change the resource name to RocketParts, in line with the EL mod, because that has resource gathering, and with the coming version of kethane we can have full kethane-like resource gathering, processing and surface / orbital construction.

You people apparently don't care much for puppies. Always rockets with you guys. Anyway....

I'm glad this is taking off the way it is. You guys are both doing great work. Keep it up. I'm currently taking a break while the Mission Controller mod gets a few more versions ahead, I keep having to restart my game. But when I'm back in space I'll test out your progress and report back. Cheers, and blue side up!

Is there a way to hack RocketParts and SpareParts to be one and the same?

I mostly ask because the new EL needs supplied resources, I need SpareParts to fill my containers for OC Mun Building, but I can only get the parts by either launching form Kerbin or editting them full.

Have I missed something?

I mostly ask because the new EL needs supplied resources, I need SpareParts to fill my containers for OC Mun Building, but I can only get the parts by either launching form Kerbin or editting them full.

Have I missed something?

From what I have read OC will soon be updating to run on the same resources as EL (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm waiting for this then I can start the huge colonisation campaign I have been planning since EL became compatible with Kethane. I'll only need a handful of launches from KSC to get started then everything else can come from OC and EL :D

Who needs campaign mode when you can use mods like these to build your own expansive story? xD

Edit:

If you are tired of lifting parts like me then you can tweak the converters in the Kethane mod to make parts from Kethane. Just add;

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

SourceResource = Kethane

TargetResource = SpareParts

ConversionEfficiency = 0.4

SourceConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 12

HeatProduction = 800

}

to the bottom of the converter's part.cfg. I know this has been posted before but it appears the config file has changed ever so slightly in the last update (eg. KethaneConsumption becomes SourceConsumption).

Edit 2 (or Brainwave 1):

Or you could add;

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

SourceResource = Ore

ConversionEfficiency = 1

SourceConsumption = 3

PowerConsumption = 10

}

into the smelter's config from EL after the other "MODULE" bit. I am about to test this but it should work along the same lines as the Kethane trick without the cheaty feeling of turning what I assume is a gas into metal xD. Also if you want you could change "Ore" for "Metal" to add another step to the refining process and make it feel more legit. Edit: Tested and working :D

Edited by tazyload
Brainwave!!!

More tweaking and I now have Kethane being converted into plastic am working on combining it with metal from EL to make SpareParts! I still have to fiddle the values but this method feels much more legit as when I think "spare parts" I see a pile of metal and plastic heaped up with Jeb on top xD

Edit:

making it need 2 resources (aside from electricity of course) is proving tricky but I shall not be stopped!! xD

Edit:

Turns out I can't make it need 2 resources yet but it's planned according to the Kethane thread

Edited by tazyload

Have I missed something?

You could make a conversion unit as tazyload suggest and set it to convert rocketparts into spareparts or viseversa. Set the conversion efficiency to 1 and the source consumption at something like 5. Then you would convert 50 spareparts into rocketparts every 10 seconds. You could call it the part refurbisher or something :P (edit: I'm actually going to be doing this now. Having trouble with EL launchpads and interested to see if this is more 'gentle' which based on the source code it appears to be :D)

----

Alright, I've got it set up, made some parts for converting, ect. - then I go to test launch and there is absolutely nothing that happens. I have a Spacedock part out there, and something I launch with a spacebuilt identifier just sits on the launchpad like a normal launch. No menu or anything. Any ideas what could be conflicting with this? Is there a dll or something I need? The zip and github only have parts/resources and source folder. Are the modules you're supposed to load in the source folder? (I've tried that as well, no luck).

Edited by Krisism
Addition to this instead of new post

There should be a Plugins folder also with "KerbalTestOne.dll" inside it, sounds like you might be missing it.

You only need to make an addition to the Resource folder if you are adding a new resource (like I added plastic), if you are just converting existing resources (eg metal into SpareParts) then you only need to add a module to the converter/smelter part.

Yeah, I think it is a crying shame that by default EL and OC use different resources.

I approached Interfect about merging OC into EL and he did not seem too open to the idea unfortunately, and I don't think skykooler would want to merge EL into OC.

I am seriously considering forking both, merging them and unifying the resource type and build menus.

But until then, ass Krissm says, as long as you have Kethane 0.6+ installed you can add the following code to the part.cfg of any part (BEFORE the final }) to convert between the two:

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

SourceResource = SpareParts

TargetResource = RocketParts

ConversionEfficiency = 1

SourceConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 0

}

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

SourceResource = RocketParts

ConversionEfficiency = 1

SourceConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 0

}

I approached Interfect about merging OC into EL and he did not seem too open to the idea unfortunately, and I don't think skykooler would want to merge EL into OC.

This is a real shame because these two mods really belong together, although due to the EL being an arse-ache to set up I am just using OC and supplying it with resources from EL atm.

It's funny because imo both mods have small failings that the other fixes, for example I like EL's launch method over OC's but OC has the upper hand when it comes to setting up in the first place.

Personally I'll be happy when conversions can take multiple inputs and outputs, then I can start adding silicon and other resources to my game and make SpareParts as intricate to make as my twisted heart desires xD

There should be a Plugins folder also with "KerbalTestOne.dll" inside it, sounds like you might be missing it.

Where did you download your version? I can't for the life of me find a download with the dll in it, and I knew something was missing! (Thanks for the reply btw). I love how OC spawns vehicles, basically detecting location/altitude and then floating it down so nicely.

Edit, found the .dll. The second filesmelt download mid way through the thread has the dll, but the other file on the front page does not. Any idea if that most recent download includes the 'patch'? I saw earlier when reading through that EvilC made a patch at one point to fix a few issues.

Edited by Krisism

Where did you download your version? I can't for the life of me find a download with the dll in it, and I knew something was missing! (Thanks for the reply btw). I love how OC spawns vehicles, basically detecting location/altitude and then floating it down so nicely.

Edit, found the .dll. The second filesmelt download mid way through the thread has the dll, but the other file on the front page does not. Any idea if that most recent download includes the 'patch'? I saw earlier when reading through that EvilC made a patch at one point to fix a few issues.

I haven't actually tried making a ground base with OC yet, I think that is going to the top of tonight's to-do list :D

I believe that should include said patch, at least I haven't come across any issues so far :)

I liked ORDA before when it didn't require any parts or scrap and guff. Will there be a debug mode where you can just spawn the ships to any spacedock regardless of scrap and resources?

Why bother with OC then? You might as well just use HyperEdit if you don't want the resource cost, or you can set up your OC station and then quicksave, edit the tanks full of parts and spawn ships to your hearts content :D

@EvilC, earlier in the thread you posted a batch file update for the one dll to help with launch lag. Should that still work with the newest version of the dll? I'm having crazyy lag at launch, like 1 frame per 5 seconds. I did try the patched dll but don't think it worked. Any ideas on how to help the lag?

(Mun base is starting to come along!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.