[0.16] KW Rocketry v0.5

Winston

Yeah I have major, major ma-ha-jor stability issues. The rocket nozzles, specifically the 3m ones,dance around on the end like they\'re held on with rubber bands.

I\'d love to use this pack more, but I can\'t trust the things in it to remain reliably attached to my spacecraft. The wobbling is such that it ends up being a roll of the dice as to whether or not I explode randomly during ascent or not.

If you can sort it out I\'d be most grateful, because these engines look great and the fuel tanks are of excellent size.

Use a few struts to keep the engine in line, and your rockets will fly like a dream.

Not the easiest thing to always do, since the engines are lacking the proper collision... system thing. The struts always want to sink into the engine which makes attaching to it a pain in the ass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW.

I Just watched ur video:

its so good.

BTW: Nice transformers 3 music! love the movie (even though its totally wrong compared to animated series)

I really do like the visual quality of this pack, along with it\'s utility.

But I find myself agreeing with Tiberion, at least when it comes to the pack\'s 3m parts (Which is what I\'ve been trying for many, many hours to launch the cuttlefish lander with), the parts\' numbers are far too extreme for them to be usable in this engine. Stack two 3mx12 and a little on top, look at the joint and watch the wobble. It does not get better with the heavy struts (Which really isn\'t an elegant, or a good solution to the problem, and by the way, a mass of 1 is far too heavy). Replace the 3mx12 parts with 2mx12, and the wobble disappears between the tanks, as the numbers fall within the limits of the game engine. The heavy struts barely alleviate the problem between the 3m tanks, even with 8 between them you can see how the parts really aren\'t connected.

I find myself wanting to use your parts, but every time I do invest some hours creating a rocket of some complexity, it fails to survive the loading.

I\'d divide it all by 2, as Tiberion suggested, but frankly I can\'t be bothered wading through all the config files.

Well to be fair, I originally wrote that before I ever started modding on my own, and I actually ran into similar issues when re-balancing Novapunch - trying to directly scale mass to volumes off of the stock parts is what causes these heavy masses.

I ultimately ended up striking a happy medium, but there are drawbacks doing it either way, and I can\'t fault Kyle and Winston for staying with their setup.

So I needed some more pre-takeoff support on the rocket, and I employed some more of the heavy radial decouplers. I noticed that the rocket no longer took off. Checked through everything, and to my amazement, the heavy radial decouplers weigh 15, compared to their originals, which weigh 0.4.

Seriously, 15?!

Having tweaked basically everything in the pack, I find myself using it all the time.

But that is after having tweaked basically everything.

Your modelling and texturing is absolutely fantastic, with a fleshed out array of parts that should solve almost any problem.

But you guys really, really need to tweak your config numbers.

Some numbers in there are just ridiculous.

For me, they work fine. You can use KIS Connect addon to prevent the wobble, and the heavy decoupler is really, really sturdy, so 15 weight seems all right to me. I actually found 3m parts from KW extremally useful for replicas. Space X Falcon and Saturn V require exactly that kind of tank.

Love this pack! Just completed my first Minmus landing and return with it, on my first try too! I used KW fuel tanks and engines, plus SRB\'s from NovaPunch as well as the NovaPunch payload fairings to cover the lander during ascent. Very, very fun. This pack is my fav :)

Same, actually. With the 0,15 patch, I reinstalled most plugins, including this one, and decided to give it another try. Reduced the heavy strut and heavy decoupler. (Which, by the way, messed up a lot with it\'s crossfeed enabling. Disabled that, and maybe you should, too)

Then I gave a new build a launch, with some hefty strutting and the black box , along with NovaPunch SRBs (What a coincidence). It behaves rather nicely now, which is interesting. Did something change in how the engine handles connections, this patch?

Anyway, this pack has again climbed to the top of my favourites, right next to NovaPunch, as it\'s big, loud and scaled directly off the stock parts (With that working much better now).

Took the Ceres to Minmus on the first attempt, with a delightfully overengineered rocket. Didn\'t think I cared much for the upper stage, but the Ceres is brilliant. The parachute heatshield is such a lovely touch, and it allows and works well with the launch escape tower. Now for setting down the cuttlefish.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the Ceres is sweet. But. I can\'t build it. The main heatshield in particular just does not snap to the underside of the capsule properly. it always snaps inside. When I load the example and detach it from where you have it, and try to re-attach it it\'s the same thing. What am I not doing?

Okay, the Ceres is sweet. But. I can\'t build it. The main heatshield in particular just does not snap to the underside of the capsule properly. it always snaps inside. When I load the example and detach it from where you have it, and try to re-attach it it\'s the same thing. What am I not doing?

Sorry about that, it\'s been un-buildable since 0.15. I believe a .craft was included though, which works. Here it is on its own in case you lost it. http://www.speedyshare.com/jspwM/Ceres-MPCV.craft

I\'ve been using your engines allot, but still haven\'t achieved a success full landing

screenshot23.png

Currently this rocket the Luna-FIV uses 3 KW-MLR Hercules X (from Kyle & Winston) engines in the primary stage, cause the TD-0120 4X engine breaks under the weight.

The second stage uses the Bearcat Tri-Nozzle engine, still my biggest problem has been landing on mun without tilting over and breaking the decoupler between the lander and comand pod

screenshot24.png

Getting to Mun, is no longer the problem though.

In that video a few post back there is a decoupler that goes wider then its base, I\'ve used them but they never seemed to fit so nicely to my rockets.

Sorry about that, it\'s been un-buildable since 0.15. I believe a .craft was included though, which works. Here it is on its own in case you lost it. http://www.speedyshare.com/jspwM/Ceres-MPCV.craft

Oh. :(

I\'m sorry if that was mentioned, I didn\'t see it. Thank-you, but I do have the .craft.

What are the chances of making it buildable? Is the problem just node positions?

the triple parachute is from a separate, old mod pack. Forget the name. The pack probably needs to be updated.

Which pack? I\'m not great with assemblies, so I was hoping to take a look at the Lander and study it, but I can\'t open it as it stands.

Which pack? I\'m not great with assemblies, so I was hoping to take a look at the Lander and study it, but I can\'t open it as it stands.

Wobbly rockets pack.

• 3 weeks later...