Docking With Ease

I have found that using MechJeb's Rendezvous module, even when not actively fixing the orbit, gives you some highly detailed information for docking. I have learned how to dock solely based on the details it provides, and after two training maneuvers with it active I was able to easily attach a fuel canister to my space station without MechJeb's aid. Most notably, the 'Closest approach' time and distance helps you learn what you need to do to get near the target. Hope this helped! :)

edit: Any other tips for learning with or without mods from you guys? Always glad to hear what the community has to say.

Edited by kajoman
Minor Update

I play the game mostly vanilla (I use Subassembly Loader and that's it mod-wise). Docking's largely a matter of being patient and equipping your ships with a LOT of RCS endurance/capability.

I recommend the Gemini 6A and 7 tutorial on the wiki for those playing vanilla who want to learn the basics.

If using a mechjeb module:

1) Position the craft on the same side of the station as the target docking port, select the docking port as your target and "control from here" on yours.

2) Press "PAR -" on the mechjeb unit, this will orient your ship parallel with the target docking port.

3) Use RCS to center the pink marker on the navball and move in to dock.

I use Kerbal Engineer for flying so I'm not constantly checking map and it's actually viable to fly from IVA.

I use alot of mods, and have replaced the stock tanks and engines with KW ones. Never been a fan of MechJeb myself though, Kerbal Engineer and Subassembly Loader are pretty much it for me.

I've docked so many weird modules in different situations that it's usually not a challenge, yet haven't docked enough times to make it boring (probably about 50-60 dockings under my belt). I enjoy docking, it's a fun component of the game and is an interesting thing to do that opens up so many possibilities.

I spent 4 hours on my first docking (with a power module for my station that later failed), 30 minutes for the next, and 3 for the one after that. It really gets easy once you've done it a few times, but I suppose good piloting skills are a must.

I've learned a lot of maneuvers to do by hand thanks to Mechjeb 2.0. I now only use it for mundane tasks that I'm to lazy to do like turn retrograde with an easy steerable pod. Also the custom window editor is priceless; you can group any info you like! Also it's fun that in mentions the costs of your total rocket; this pushed me to do more economic efficient builds.

I you actually want the thrill of a computer assisted docking maneuver where you still play a role check out Lazor Docking Cam: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lazor-docking-cam/

banner_dockingcam.jpg

It allows you to see from the docking port's perspective in a little window while providing all the vital information for a successful docking by instruments. I positively love it!

Any more I just use MJ's Smart ASS - Rev(-) and Tgt (+) only - don't even need the readouts and never use RCS for anything under 50 tons.

Zero out your relative speed, flip to target, go again, zero out, flip back to target, go again. Usually about 3 or 4 of those and you're aimed right at it, sometimes from 100m away or more. After that, just forward time until they bump uglies - if everyone has their SAS and mechjeb turned off then its just a matter of time before the magnets get you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.