Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

Looks entertaining. Hopefully it won't be too painfully inaccurate, over-dramatized and unrealistic ;)

Good to see a movie that portrays space travel as dangerous, harrowing and risky though. We need that.

So what is the rationale, micro-meteorite impacts?

ADDIT: watched the longer trailer. Hate to say it but looks like a turkey. Excuse to show lots of cool CGI of astronauts cartwheeling around banging into stuff like pinballs.

Edited by Diche Bach

Are you aware of the fact there's a lot of scenes done in one continuous shot? Nobody ever in the history of film did such complicated scenes in one shot. This will surely get an Oscar nomination. It's a movie that pushes boundaries.

It's been screened at a festival and people are absolutely amazed not only by the special effects, but they also like the acting.

Quote from one article:

Cameron, surprisingly, said it wasn’t the cutting edge technology that impressed him; it was Cuaron’s uncompromising vision and tenacity in getting the picture made as he wanted it, and star Sandra Bullock’s preparation for and performance of a highly challenging role. “What is interesting is the human dimension,†Cameron says. “Alfonso and Sandra working together to create an absolutely seamless portrayal of a woman fighting for her life in zero gravity.â€Â

Rationale is Kessler syndrome, possibly caused by ENVISAT.

And don't worry about the sound. Trailer has been made by the "fine" folks at Warner Bros who thought if they don't put "the boom sounds", nobody will want to see the movie. The director said the movie will not have any unrealistic sounds. It will be silent in vacuum.

Yesterday I was reading the comments on youtube and I was unpleasantly surprised by the amount of hate, anger and bitterness. There are some weird morons out there. "This is boring", "this is stupid", "why does she moan all the time", "Sandra is a disgusting bitch", "so they will just float the whole movie?" "I've just saw the whole movie", "waste of money"...

I guess people have become so duped by stupid action movies that they can't appreciate anything else.

I have no doubt Cuarón made a masterpiece.

They meant to say that by seeing the trailer, they've seen enough, because they think the whole movie will be about Sandra spinning and catching air. Pearls before swine.

I almost think it's like three people paid to post sh*t all the time cause I still have some faith in humanity.

A movie that provides upclose, detailed, accurate portrayals of EVA in low Earth Orbit, or of life in LEO more generally is much, MUCH needed, and highly praiseworthy. A movie that seriously and effectively portrays (a) the challenges, dangers, risks, costs of this human presence in LEO as well as (B) the marvels, opportunities, and possibilities, would be even more praiseworthy.

What I see in these trailers is: Terminator in space without guns. Maybe Terminator isn't the right example, but the key thing is: unrealistically high-intensity action. Astronauts bouncing off of space ships, and smashing through solar panels, two astronauts snagging like a pair of bolos with their tether across a solar panel and smashing through . . . LOL! Good entertainment maybe, but naturalistic. Hardly seems like it. Still probably worth a trip to the cinema just for the grandeur of it.

I had built a fleet of space shuttles and had one named "Explorer" a week ago and had tried to dock it with a large station called the "International Space Laboratory".

The shuttle hurled into the station, knocked off two panels, and the arm smashed into a hitchhiker and got wrecked. I EVAed two astronauts who barely made it out...the third is now "Missing in action"

So much Deja Vu when I saw the trailer

Russian suit and Soyuz (I think) FTW!!!

but... so inacurrate :(

and death in space? sounds intresting already :P ( I don't think anyone has died in space but i know aome died during training [Apollo 1] and Rentry...

AND to entertain nerds yoy have to make things acurate :P

Edited by M.Wolfy

Russian suit and Soyuz (I think) FTW!!!

but... so inacurrate :(

and death in space? sounds intresting already :P ( I don't think anyone has died in space but i know aome died during training [Apollo 1] and Rentry...

AND to entertain nerds yoy have to make things acurate :P

To date, the only humans to have died of space exposure are the three crew members of the Soyuz 11 spacecraft: Vladislav Volkov, Georgi Dobrovolski and Viktor Patsayev. During the re-entry on June 30, 1971, the ship's depressurization resulted in the death of the entire crew.

I hope that answers your question.

That is cool so pumped until it comes to my country.... Can anybody tell if the film Sunshine is worth it?

It's an underrated movie. It's not awesome, but it's worth watching.

The rate of carnage quickly becomes of comedic proportions and physics is often set aside, for the purposes of art or whatever. It's a rather unrealistic movie with an overall realistic feel and beautiful scenes.

From what I can tell, one of them is gonna be visiting Tiangong...

Source: The website for Gravity and the promo game

I can indeed confirm that, officially. There will be something about Tiangong, at least it will be mentioned. I could actually spoil myself everything but I don't want to. :)

Edited by lajoswinkler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.