Every Spaceport should have one of these, does yours?

UPDATE:

I've got a new model out to replace both the Sherpa and Cavalier you can find it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46474-Delivery-drivers-wanted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This ladies and gentlemen is the Sherpa, the first in a (hopefully) long line of VTOL Utility Drop Ships that are able to pick up and drop off pods, cargo and equipment, it can even transport it's very own fuel dumps which will let you keep on re-using the ship for as long as you like. Once empty you can activate the fuel dump's self destruct mechanism and blow the whole thing sky high! This is great news for the environment, but not such great news for the pilot. Just pretend you're carrying a big vat of nitro glycerin, which for all intensive purposes you are. Landing roughly with the fuel dump can also damage the self destruct mechanism making it misfire, or worse. You can build your own attachments and fittings to add to the Sherpa, anything from hedge trimmers, to rover carriers, perhaps the more militant members of the community would like to build cluster munitions for obliterating scrap? Anyway, the choice is yours.

SHIP FILES

http://snk.to/f-cdcfvslj

CONTROLS

1 - Toggle Jets

2 - Toggle Rocket Assist

3 - Turn On Docking Port Light

4/5 - Emergency Roll Controls

6 - Launch Drone - (Cupcake's Challenge Cup Only)

7 - De-Couple Sherpa - (Cupcake's Challenge Cup Only)

9 - Put Gearbox In D

0 - Put Gearbox In R

ABORT/Backspace - Drop Cargo (must be set in the action group of whatever you're carrying as well)

NOTES

The largest item (in terms of size) the Sherpa can carry is the hitchhikers Pod which I've included with the files. In order to carry the MK1-2 command Pod, a spacer is needed to make the docking port higher, I've included a correctly configured command pod which you can use as a base for building your rockets. Just note that once you dock with the MK1-2 command pod, you have access to it's lashings of torque, yay! In fact turn off the ASAS and the Sherpa will just about pirouette across the sky.

Any VTOL hotshots out there can enter the Cupcake Challenge Cup:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29165-Calling-all-VTOL-pilots%21-The-Cupcake-Challenge-Cup-Is-Here

The challenge file is included with the Sherpa, good luck!

Cupcake...

:)

You can find the rest of my creations here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27424-Cupcake-s-Spaceship-Emporium

Edited by Cupcake...

Awesome! Really fancy idea and implementation, the drop tanks! I got the PM, BTW, but I am currently very far away from my gaming machine (like 500kms), so I won't be able to try it for a couple more weeks yet.

Rune. But it looks neat!

Awesome! Really fancy idea and implementation, the drop tanks! I got the PM, BTW, but I am currently very far away from my gaming machine (like 500kms), so I won't be able to try it for a couple more weeks yet.

Rune. But it looks neat!

Cheers, I'll look forward to hearing to thoughts. I've taken down the copy I sent you as it had a few minor niggles which I've managed to fix with the release version, so yeah, I hope you can enter the challenge when you get back as well! :)

Cupcake...

Cool! can you convert it to a full functioning SSTO??!?

No reason why not, and it is something I've been thinking about, but I think I'll wait until 0.20 before I put any serious work into it. But yeah, it's definitely do-able...

Cupcake...

This is awesome, but I'm not a big fan of the title. I was drawn here because of the title, and I had no idea what the craft was like. Now, a title like "Every Spaceport should have this Utility VTOL. Does yours?" would be more appropriate.

i was about to mention the starship tropper transports :D make it able to get something into or down from orbit and it will be just about perfect! able to drop hab units on a moon then go back up for more proper base building reusable dropship is whats needed and i have failed alot at trying to create my own :(

How did you make the fuel tanks explode? Didn't see any specific mechanism....Anyway, looks fantastic :D

Making it explode wasn't hard, making it explode in the right way was! If you look in the video you can see a blue and white separator about halfway up the fuel dump, this acts as the detonator. :)

Cupcake...

This is awesome, but I'm not a big fan of the title. I was drawn here because of the title, and I had no idea what the craft was like. Now, a title like "Every Spaceport should have this Utility VTOL. Does yours?" would be more appropriate.

You're right, it's just a cheap trick to tickle peoples curiosity, a bit like the travelling circuses of way back when... :wink:

i was about to mention the starship tropper transports :D make it able to get something into or down from orbit and it will be just about perfect! able to drop hab units on a moon then go back up for more proper base building reusable dropship is whats needed and i have failed alot at trying to create my own :(

I've had a few people mention this and it is something I'm going to work on once 0.20 rolls around, so yeah, watch this space! BTW Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it! :D

Cupcake....

Edited by Cupcake...

• 2 months later...

Most of my VTOLs have both rockets (In this case a couple of LV-Ns) and jet engines, which when used together get rid of most of the throttle lag from the jets. It certainly makes landing/hovering/slow speed maneuvers a lot easier. Hope this helps... :)

Cupcake...

So, how did you control the thrust on the jet engines so quickly? They take an awful long time to give and reduce power from throttle changes for jet powered vtol that I have experienced.

WHY U SO GOOD?! And unfortunately, no, my spaceport DOESN'T have won!

Maybe I can tempt you with my latest model once it gets released? While the Sherpa was mainly made for pottering around the spaceport the Ox is designed to haul cargo down from orbit and fly back into space to pick up more! Assuming you've got enough fuel on your mother ship you'll be able to do this multiple times...:wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.