[0.90] LazTek SpaceX Launch, Exploration, Colonial Transporter & Historic mods (1/25/14)

LazarusLuan

Laz: Can we have an option to turn off the blue light in the cabin? It's so bright it illuminates the ground by the launchpad, I'd love to be able to just flick it off, it kinda bugs me if I'm honest :)

Also the F9 1.1/Dragon 2 stack doesn't seem to fly terribly well with FAR. I've had numerous issues with it falling over on gravity turn (using MechJeb 2.1).

I have had great success with flying everything manually as well as using the absolute latest build of MechJeb. The .23 update includes the ability to turn off the blue lights. There is a glitch within the game engine that wasn't resolved with Unity 4.2.2, where a mysterious blue light comes on at the base of the launch pad, however.

I see you made several design changes.

The top-mounted heat shields and burning 3 engines during 1st-stage recovery make your design closer to the conceptual video SpaceX released, so those make sense to me. Even though SpaceX said nothing in that video is official, I know people expect it to look like the video.

Did you reuse the 1st-stage landing legs on the 2nd-stage as a placeholder while you work on new legs, or is that a permanent change? And why the longer interstage?

Thanks!

I've included heat-shielded and unshielded versions of the Falcon remote control system to let users decide how they want to perform re-entry, so everyone can try either headfirst or tailfirst. I made a smaller version of the lower landing gear for the middle stage because it is likely SpaceX will go with the same design as their new lower gear due to the solid stability and simplicity of its design. There is an old demo vid from SpaceX that shows a type of landing gear for the middle stage that is revealed when it separates from the lower stage, but I doubt it will come into existence. I made the interstage longer to mimic the actual new Falcon 9 v1.1, unveiled by Elon Musk and twice launched this past year. It's possible the interstage was lengthened to hold new middle stage landing gear, but I'll wait for a reveal on those before designing new gear.

I was playing this with .23 and it seems that I cannot board the Dragon while EVA in space. I can grab the extended ladder but when I climb to the hatch, there's no board option. Doesn't seems to matter if the hatch is open or not. Since the version I'm using is .22, it may not be appropriate to mention it, I dunno.

This is fixed with the update.

I've included heat-shielded and unshielded versions of the Falcon remote control system to let users decide how they want to perform re-entry, so everyone can try either headfirst or tailfirst. I made a smaller version of the lower landing gear for the middle stage because it is likely SpaceX will go with the same design as their new lower gear due to the solid stability and simplicity of its design. There is an old demo vid from SpaceX that shows a type of landing gear for the middle stage that is revealed when it separates from the lower stage, but I doubt it will come into existence. I made the interstage longer to mimic the actual new Falcon 9 v1.1, unveiled by Elon Musk and twice launched this past year. It's possible the interstage was lengthened to hold new middle stage landing gear, but I'll wait for a reveal on those before designing new gear.

Thank you!

I'm having a weird bug with the Dragon launcher, where the Dragon Trunk Adapter is anchored in space. During liftoff the engines fire but the ship doesn't move, the whole thing just presses against the dragon trunk adapter until eventually something buckles. Removing it (and the bits and pieces inside it) makes the ship work beautifully.

Anyone else have a similar issue? I have quite a list of installed mods so its possible it's some conflict with one of those.

I'm having a weird bug with the Dragon launcher, where the Dragon Trunk Adapter is anchored in space. During liftoff the engines fire but the ship doesn't move, the whole thing just presses against the dragon trunk adapter until eventually something buckles. Removing it (and the bits and pieces inside it) makes the ship work beautifully.

Anyone else have a similar issue? I have quite a list of installed mods so its possible it's some conflict with one of those.

That bug seems to occur with the .craft file "LT SpaceX Dragon 2". If you build it yourself, or if you remove the probes from the Dragon 2 Trunk Adapter/Decoupler, it fixes that problem.

@LazarusLuan, thanks for update. Really love this mod :)

I'll redo the .craft file and see if that fixes the problem with the SHERPA area. I'm finishing up the Exploration Pack right now and should have that ready to go in its first version tonight.

A question - should I separate the Dragon 2 into its own download?

I'll redo the .craft file and see if that fixes the problem with the SHERPA area. I'm finishing up the Exploration Pack right now and should have that ready to go in its first version tonight.

Did I mention you're awesome? Do you mean separate the whole spacex pack into a separate download from the exploration pack? If so, then probably. That way you don't have to reupload the whole SpaceX pack and only need to upload the exploration pack, so that we get it sooner. :P

That bug seems to occur with the .craft file "LT SpaceX Dragon 2". If you build it yourself, or if you remove the probes from the Dragon 2 Trunk Adapter/Decoupler, it fixes that problem.

@LazarusLuan, thanks for update. Really love this mod :)

Thanks, Scott - I'm really glad you're enjoying the mod so much. I've uploaded a new .craft file for the Dragon 2 loadout here: LT SpaceX Dragon 2. This version works for me with several mods installed and I'd like to see if it's also working for others.

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try!

I can't believe I waited this long to try this mod out. Always something else I wanted to do, or I was busy with something else. *sigh* Anyway, great work on this, looks fantastic. One typo. The payload bay is assigned to the tech tree node 'heavy Aerospace' rather than 'heavy Aerodynamics'.

Also, where is the old style, butt first upper stage engine+landing legs+heat shield component? I understand it's no longer what the real SpaceX are going to do, but I gathered from your post on the update you're keeping it in the DL. For some reason I can only find the newer lower and middle landing legs, no other component with the unfoldable shield and legs. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks, Scott - I'm really glad you're enjoying the mod so much. I've uploaded a new .craft file for the Dragon 2 loadout here: LT SpaceX Dragon 2. This version works for me with several mods installed and I'd like to see if it's also working for others.

After much trail and error, I have found which mod causes the SHERPA Core to behave weirdly. It is KSP Interstellar. I'm not entirely sure why it causes issues, but my guess would be that it's something to do with the solar panel on the SHERPA. KSP Interstellar adds WasteHeat to solar panels usually, so maybe the problem is there?

After much trail and error, I have found which mod causes the SHERPA Core to behave weirdly. It is KSP Interstellar. I'm not entirely sure why it causes issues, but my guess would be that it's something to do with the solar panel on the SHERPA. KSP Interstellar adds WasteHeat to solar panels usually, so maybe the problem is there?

Update: I deleted the solar panel module from the SHERPA cfg, and it does eliminate the bug with KSPI installed. Not a solution, just identifying where the problem is. I don't think it's a problem with your mod Laz.

Update: I deleted the solar panel module from the SHERPA cfg, and it does eliminate the bug with KSPI installed. Not a solution, just identifying where the problem is. I don't think it's a problem with your mod Laz.

Thanks for tracking that down - I'll grab KSPI now to start figuring out how to fix the issue.

I can't believe I waited this long to try this mod out. Always something else I wanted to do, or I was busy with something else. *sigh* Anyway, great work on this, looks fantastic. One typo. The payload bay is assigned to the tech tree node 'heavy Aerospace' rather than 'heavy Aerodynamics'.

Also, where is the old style, butt first upper stage engine+landing legs+heat shield component? I understand it's no longer what the real SpaceX are going to do, but I gathered from your post on the update you're keeping it in the DL. For some reason I can only find the newer lower and middle landing legs, no other component with the unfoldable shield and legs. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

You're right - I neglected to include my original upper leg design with the update and I appreciate you pointing out the .cfg typo. I'll take care of those along with fixing the solar panel on the SHERPA to work with the KSPI mod.

Are these to scale with the real Falcon rockets? Are they 64% size, or are they a stock size work-alike?

They are scaled to fit in the Kerbal universe with the same proportions as real life, with the kerbonauts sitting comfortably 4 across in the Dragon capsule. This makes these replicas about 15% smaller than real life.