What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Was filming a tutorial on how to get to Mun and back, more of a beginners guide since many want to go there first. I got there but realized I had not been recording anything :mad:. Now I need to rest my vocals for a bit and maybe try again. Not sure if I should do one long video or break it up into smaller sections and do it that way though...thoughts??

I suddenly noticed I had a Jool window coming up in my career save. Since I play with a 10* scale kerbal system this doesn't happen all that often and I didn't want to miss it.

Problem is, I'm still pretty early into the tech tree so I didn't have the tools I needed to do a proper Jool mission and the window was in 6 days, which isn't enough to do a munar return mission in a 10 scale system (Not to mention this would require some creative asparagus staging at my tech level). My solution:

djpUYLG.jpg

The mun has 15 biomes and you can get from the launchpad to the munar surface in about 4 days. So, 15 probe landers packed with science and 3 relay satellite launches later, my orbit map looks like this. Tomorrow is going to be a fun little juggling game to get them all in proper orbits that pass over their designated biome. If this all works out the transmitted science should be enough to unlock everything I need for a Jool trip.

In my career mode I tried to build my first two man Mun lander/returner fully decked out with science gathering things to land in the Farside Crater (and maybe canyons). It took me a lot of trial and error to even get a build that could circularize the orbit. I finally got it to the Mun and as I was descending for my landing I realized I wouldn't have enough fuel to get my Kerbals back. I was able to land the craft safely and easily. This is the first time this is happened for me (the stranded bit, not the safe landing bit). A rescue operation is currently in the building stage. Although, I'm experimenting with a new design (three individual command pods on an upside down tri-adapter). "Experimenting" will almost inevitably lead to failure... er... a more fully developed "Mun base." The rescue will probably be my job for tomorrow morning.

With five FLT-2880s currently buoyed together in orbit, Halcyon Station awaits the arrival of a kethane processing plant to receive kethane from incoming mun-miners, and use it to fill the tanks to capacity.

The depot is very complex, and so must be lifted to Halcyon in one piece. A new payload lifter rated to 50 tonnes was designed just for this job. After much testing and retesting, the countdown for final delivery has reached zero, and the mission must begin...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Pulled my tanker station out of the sky because I wanted to send up a new design. Problem: Jeb was up there in a ship I was constructing in orbit (which was out of date by this point because of it sitting there during science missions) attached to the tanker, and he had no parachute for whatever reason so I had to send Kurt up to get him. Hilarity ensued. I built a jet lifter to get me up to ~15km and then dropped it and fired off a Skipper, everything was going fine. I drop that stage and I've got a nuke engine and I run up and dock with the station with plenty of fuel to spare, not that it mattered, and EVA Jeb over to his taxi ride. I go to deorbit and, well I was trying out the larger parachute on my 3-Kerbal command module and turns out that thing snaps right off if it's the only chute attached (or maybe it's because I put a battery between that and the module). So I had to let them sit there in orbit while I built another ship to go get them both!

KSP2013-12-2923-20-32-77.jpg

Well that all turned out okay but when I went to put my new design up I got it into a steady 150km orbit give or take a few hundred meters and attached a couple more tank modules to expand it, then realized while I was playing with my planes that if I ever get a proper spaceplane up and running the orbit of that tanker is completely wrong. So I brought that down to a ~90km orbit while I wait for someone to come get Bob because I didn't actually plan ahead for when that one would have to come down. So the newest of the new is still very much a work in progress but it has it's own escape pod for just this type of situation which I thought was a nice touch. In this screenshot the antenna is attached to the escape pod which is docked to the Copula (you can't really see it, but it's there).

KSP2013-12-3003-15-12-44.jpg

You can see the escape pod better in this one, not that there's much to see.

KSP2013-12-3003-10-42-00.jpg

BTW I found a setting in Photobucket just now and changed it to a higher resolution so my uploads after these should look better.

Edited by Duke23

I spent four hours building and redesigning a rather large VTOL.

yNKeK75l.jpg

Just to carry this mildly overengineered thing to the Mun.

lh1fH83l.jpg

It's sole purpose is to drill for Kethane.

After those four hours, it can now achieve a 90km apo but runs out of fuel before I can circularize. The landing legs beg for mercy under the 38k liters of fuel. I still have no Munar mining operation. I have no regrets.

Pfft, where's the challenge in that? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm forgoing part mods (apart from KER) on my current save. If any, KWrocketry fairings are used. The procedural ones look so... ungainly.

I spent four hours building and redesigning a rather large VTOL.

http://i.imgur.com/yNKeK75l.jpg

This one just reminded me of the old GoBots ship, I forgot the name of it, from the old tv show. For those that are too young the GoBots were like the ghetto Transformers of sorts.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about LOL

4126d1360496943-just-howlin-gobots-toys_4814226.jpg.att

Edited by Liowen

Completed my fist sundiver probe which successfully collected and transmitted science from near the Sun, then conducted a short burn that is going to put the probe into interstellar space some time in the next 30 years or so, another first for me.

Never thought I'd get close enough to see the texture with a ship...

gAejKRe.png

Edited by EndOfTheEarth

The end result of a Duna+Ike manned mission. I dragged a lab all the way out there to reset experiments, and then I let it smash into Duna to drop some mass before heading back to Kerbin.

Yf5ahHg.png

Two years and 203 days, but I have just completed the whole tech tree for the first time.

Edited by Themohawkninja