What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I failed at an aerocapture and had to finish on the engines, though it only took about 20 m/s to close my orbit. Does anyone know if asteroids have below-normal drag.

Anyway, afterwards I got this shot, one of my favourites from my missions so far. (Which I can't embed right now because flickr is acting up)

Duna, Bill, and Ike

I did a 1 way trip eve mission. Pretty much the mission consisted of 3 different vehicles. A 1 way eve lander, a small Gilly probe lander, and a small station.

Here are the pics

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV Leaving Kerbin.png

leaving Kerbin

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV course Correction.png

Course Correction

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV aerobraking.png

Areobraking at Eve

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV Inclination Correction 1200km.png

Eve 1200km inclination correction burn

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV 200km circularization burn.png

Eve 200km circularization burn

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV deorbiting the drive stage.png

Deorbiting the drive stage

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV Boarding the Land.png

Boarding the Lander

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/EV Landed at Eve.png

Landed at Eve (gonna stay there for a while)

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/Burning to Gilly.png

The probe lander has detached and burns to Gilly

/Users/thomaswestmaxfield/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 2.00.15 PM.png

Landed at Gilly

The crew on the station left in a 200kmx200km orbit will probably be exchanged out some time soon by a Kerbal transport ship. Ronkin and Erbas Kerman on the surface are probably stranded. I might send a return mission, but I don't know if I can do it. I hope you all liked the images and the mission.

There will come a day when I won't laugh at people linking directly to images on their computers, but today is not that day.

I finally manned up and did an Apollo style mission.

This upper Stage got me from suborbital trajectory to Munar injection.

tax6vWS.jpg

I ditched it after getting my trajectory to look like this.

JpE9lYS.png

Ditch stage and transfer one crew member to help with transposition maneuver.

N6nP4j7.png

Transposition complete.

PxNJ0PJ.png

Start engines to get out of suborbital plummet. All separated debris successfully de-orbit at this point. (Including original lifter debris! I'm very proud of this green mission.)

CxLgXJO.jpg

After a careful systems check, everything is go, and a crew report is sent from both Lander crew and Command Module.

KQxsmwh.jpg

Landed at the Twin Craters. Uneventful landing; just how I like it. Planted a flag, performed experiments and left.

gX1BdTK.jpg

Rendezvous went good and the CM/SM towed the used up Ascent Module back to Kerbin to be de-orbited and destroyed.

I got 402.0 plus whatever crew/EVA reports transmitted throughout the mission.

lvMoCm2.png

Cost roughly 500,000.00 funds... I got my Apollo mission though!

Here's what I left behind at Mun Landing Site ALPHA.

7BbwXA1.png

Edited by Mister Kerman

I made a terrible mistake spaceship.

9QtKcvv.png

Composed of seven individual components (central core, crew compartment, rear bit, and 4x engine pods), its main features are idiotically flopping about and lagging my PC into the stone age. It also includes a science lab, seating for 15 kerbals, 5 docking ports (though one is only there as an attachment point for the orbital tug that put it together), and as much electrical power as my current research level will allow (I have neither nuclear power nor the 3m battery packs). Once fully loaded with Kerbals and fuel, I plan to send it to the Jool system to perform science and eventually aid in founding a colony on Laythe. Of course, that's assuming it doesn't shake itself to pieces as soon as I fire up the engines.

Edited by nerdboy64

I launched the Explorer, a manned mission to Eeloo and Moho. It will go to Eeloo first, drop a lander, then go on to Moho and drop another lander. I'm doing it this way because I can*. Also I've switched revert off. Unfortunately, during the launch a falling outer stage collided with the rocket from an inner stage and for a while I thought that I would not go to space today. After a few seconds of going "Oh .... Oh .... how do I save the Kerbals?" (The return vehicles were separate to the landers they started in and the landers lacked parachutes), I realized that all was not lost and that I could decouple the rocketless tank and the tank+rocket on the other side and maintain symmetry without losing the entire stage. I then did so, got to space, ran out of fuel on the launch stage but fortunately not before my periapsis was at 56km, high enough that my transfer stage was more than capable of raising it into space. It's now chilling in orbit because Eeloo is currently in a ....ty position and by waiting 7 years I'll save over 1km/s delta-v. I don't want to just timewarp though, so I'm currently planning a manned Duna landing. My first manned Duna landing in fact, previously I had been scared of the atmosphere.

*Probably I think. I might not have sufficient delta-v.

Not much today. Did a lot last night though. Very crazy Contract reason: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/570023530087336206/C19F22CDAEB51DD68D312AB9F8CE2D05DCF22E42/

I like them. =^.^=

Anyways. Had fun Spinning a Class B roid around with my thrusters. Renamed it after the first Kerbal to take samples from it. So I can try and remember to capture it when I have the CLAW next time it comes around if ever. Or Have a nice little probe go fetch it.

01BE398BC327D4E6710966E3C07B3AE5164E6FE5

I'm starting over with all the reverts/quicksaves/etc. disabled even though I've yet to go manned past Duna.

Better mission planning in Kerbin SOI and Duna should prepare me for parts further (I hope).

I only purchased Kerbal Space Program yesterday, it runs smoothly on my Intel HD4000 graphics.

Knew I wanted to recreate Sunshine (2007) so today I did, sort of... I didn't recreate the movie but I did lift off from Kerbin and 3 Kerbins (Kerbans?) gave up their life to reignite the sun using a nuclear payload. Least that is how the sci-fi movie went, so I did it for fun. Screenies:

http://imgur.com/a/ihdWh

I enjoyed it! Now to re-watch the film :D

Downloaded the Fine Print mod last night and having a ton of fun with it. Today I found the source of a data anomaly on the Mun. Afterwards I accepted a contract to build a base on the Mun. I have the core module there, but the contract requires a science module, which is having spontaneous combustion issues :huh: . Still waiting on that asteroid to reach Kerbin.

Did science on muns surface, set Mechjeb SmartA$$ to 90deg, -20deg, 0deg throttled up and hit execute. After it started nosing down I realized my mistake just in time to watch the craft plow into the surface. I decided I should get ready for work and hit F9 and then closed ksp....

While waiting for a transfer window to Eve I used the time to lift a xenon storage module to my space station (not really sure why, maybe because I can :wink:).

Then Camwise Kerman tested my first completly new designed Mun/Minimus lander together with a new lifter optimized for the mass of the lander. Without science equipment the cost was only 57.000 which I think is pretty good. Suprisingly everything worked out fine in the first try. Camwise got my lander plus transfer stage into a nice circular orbit (apoapsis and periapsis had about 300m difference :huh:, normally I get a difference of about 3-5 km without correction burns). The second stage burned out seconds before lifting the periapsis out of the atmosphere, therefore no debris. Then Camwise burn in the decending node to change my inclination and made my TMI. At Minimus he made an orbit insertion and changed to a polar orbit (I had to get that gravity scan of the poles...). With the last drops of fuel of the transfer stage he lowered the periapsis inside a mountain and got rid of my transfer stage. Than Camwise made two beautiful landings in different bionomes and made his experiments. After that he got back to Kerbin and splashed down not that far from the KSC.

After this he completed the stunt again, this time only with the Mun and only one landing (I think the fuel might have been engough for a second landing, but Camwise didn't want to strand on the Mun like his colleague Tom during my first visit on the Mun). He made it back to Kerbin and landed.

Then I hit the Recovery button and the game freezes. Okay, no problem, load the quicksave. Naturally as everything went so fine I had used it last after my TMI to Minimus 12 days ago... *grrgh*

*Edit checklist: Use quicksave more often!*

/EDIT: So, optimized the ship a bit further, now it is only 46.000 kerbuck including some thermometers and 2 mystery goos (graviton scans and seismic scan naturally not included, they are 12000 per part...)

Edited by Heimdall5008

Mostly some design and test work for a Moho lander and an Eeloo lander. For Eeloo, I first built a slightly over-engineered two-stage Mun lander with a docking port on the top - a nuclear transfer tug should work fine. The "descent stage" is a set of three drop tanks that also have the landing legs on them, and the ascent stage has a single FL-T100 as its fuel. It's set up so that the ascent stage's 48-7S engine is the only engine used. I checked its TWR: with the outer tanks empty (accounting for less than half its mass), it has a TWR greater than 1 on Kerbin, so there's plenty of thrust.

Next, a delta-v calculation. The first stage has a little over 1820 m/s of delta-v, which should be able to land on Mun, take off, and very nearly land again. The second stage has almost 1100 m/s delta-v, which could finish the landing and get it back to Mun orbit, so I'm confident in the capability of this lander to perform an Eeloo landing and orbital rendezvous with an appropriate transfer stage. Checking the wiki tells me that Moho needs only 1400 m/s to land from low orbit, so, technically, this might be able to land on Moho.

But to be on the safe side, I added a pair of ROUND-8 tanks to the ascent stage. While this decreases the descent stage's delta-v, the overall delta-v increases by roughly 200 m/s, and both ascent and descent stages have over 1400 m/s of delta-v available. The total mass of the lander remains under 4 tons, so it shouldn't be difficult to get together a transfer stage that'll propel it to its destination.

After that, I decided to put the Eeloo lander through its paces: a double Mun landing should suffice. So, I threw together a strange-looking lifter/transfer stage that would also test the TT-70 in flight.

w3Bxnt.png

pui2GG.png

Lander cost 17.9k, total cost ~50k (but definitely <51k). There's a structural plate between the docking clamps to keep the fuel from crossfeeding - it's cheaper than a stack separator. The TT-70 test came around the beginning of the gravity turn, just after I dropped the boosters. By that time, the droptanks were empty, but the first asparagus stage had yet to come.

XkIihe.png

OqboMi.png

HO33tD.png

The apoapse was still in the atmosphere when I switched to the LV-909, and the periapse had yet to appear. Fortunately, there was sufficient thrust to get orbit. The periapse rose well before I was out of the atmosphere: once I reached apoapse, less than 50 m/s remained to circularise.

GeIQnz.png

DKOJ10.png

This might have been one of my more efficient ascents...

gFz0T1.png

smXssl.png

Burned the transfer to Mun without a maneuver node. Not as though I haven't done it plenty of times before.

ARqNs4.png

OS9s5h.png

Arrived at the Mun and burned into a nice circular 50 km orbit. Then, I decoupled the lander from the plate, and the plate from the transfer stage. Immediately, the docking clamps attracted each other and docked together again, ignoring the plate between. I undocked again - perhaps I should have left the plate on the transfer stage until it needed to be removed.

4JBC4T.png

HOLPbn.png

P4iO37.png

And descended into the East Farside crater. Hadn't been there on this save yet. The landing was fine, and I got Jeb out, did a report, planted a flag and climbed back in. Didn't take pictures of that, it seems.

QL2Yjg.png

WeDT2J.png

Back up to orbit. I decided to make it a lower one, thinking I might run low on fuel.

lzjjRb.png

I landed again, on the other side of the Mun, on the southern edge of the Northwest crater. These aren't quite antipodal points, but they're certainly distant. Fuel in the drop tanks ran out on the way down, but as they had the landing legs on, I didn't drop them until I started my ascent.

tvWs1Q.png

dgy6SM.png

Ran out of LFO before getting orbit - my aim was the 50 km circular orbit of the transfer stage, but that didn't quite work out. I tried to see if I could perform a suborbital rendezvous, but the timing was all wrong for it. Fortunately, I had monopropellant with which to circularise at 45 km.

5eXznB.png

Here you can see the two flags. This is the transfer stage's orbit after an attempt at getting rendezvous with the suborbital ascent stage - I didn't do it through maneuver nodes.

M7yLmE.png

fXE22A.png

The actual rendezvous I used several maneuvers to set up, however. Docking used up most of the remaining monopropellant - I wasn't stingy with it.

tAkbei.png

fxiE9f.png

Escaped the Mun to a shallow aerobrake. Additional burning put me into a 150 km circular orbit. As you can see, very little fuel remained, and I transferred that to the lander. There's a parachute hidden under the lander's docking port, and no such thing on the transfer stage. I decided to leave the transfer stage empty in orbit - might make a docking target, if nothing else.

U7tDUZ.png

ZcNMV3.png

Brought the periapse a little low for a pinpoint return to KSC, but I'm content with the result: 190 km away in the ocean on the other side of the continent.

F4ITED.png

ofH9bY.png

Decided to light up the night ocean as I came down. A safe recovery also completed another contract: data from space around Kerbin. Decided to grab the report from over the desert rather than transmit from a satellite.

Edited by Concentric

Lander cost 17.9k, total cost ~50k (but definitely <51k). There's a structural plate between the docking clamps to keep the fuel from crossfeeding - it's cheaper than a stack separator.

Probably could have saved some time (and a little bit of money) by right clicking one of the docking ports and selecting "disable crossfeed" when you launched. :)

Probably could have saved some time (and a little bit of money) by right clicking one of the docking ports and selecting "disable crossfeed" when you launched. :)

Yeah, but I've run into the Mysterious Autoreenabling Crossfeed before, and on top of that, there's the chance I'd forget to do it. Still, there are times that I know for certain I've disabled crossfeed, but suddenly it's back and draining from the wrong tanks. The plate costs next to nothing and works 100% of the time.

Yeah, but I've run into the Mysterious Autoreenabling Crossfeed before, and on top of that, there's the chance I'd forget to do it. Still, there are times that I know for certain I've disabled crossfeed, but suddenly it's back and draining from the wrong tanks. The plate costs next to nothing and works 100% of the time.
Alternatively, disable the fuel tanks you don't want fuel draining from. A little more work to re-enable but saves you littering space.