What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 minutes ago, Guardsman111 said:

Spent all day trying to find new mods for 1.1, then uninstalling all of them again after it crashed 3 times in 10 mins and am now re-installing bit by bit to find the culprit mod :( 

Ah. That happens with me too. That has got to be time-consuming. 

Just now, Lo Var Lachland said:

Ah. That happens with me too. That has got to be time-consuming. 

Yeah, seeing as i went on a mod binge and downloaded ~25 mods, i decided i would adopt a different tactic; all mods that are stated as 1.1 compatible are installed in one lump, then adding the rest one by one. It didn't crash after all the compatible ones, so i'm about half way through the rest lol. I have a feeling its KW rocketry with a community patch, so i'm leaving that til last.

22 minutes ago, Guardsman111 said:

Yeah, seeing as i went on a mod binge and downloaded ~25 mods, i decided i would adopt a different tactic; all mods that are stated as 1.1 compatible are installed in one lump, then adding the rest one by one. It didn't crash after all the compatible ones, so i'm about half way through the rest lol. I have a feeling its KW rocketry with a community patch, so i'm leaving that til last.

Yup, I do it too. I downloaded 37 mods one time, and it practically ruined ksp. Let's hope 1.1 is smoother. :wink:

On 4/21/2016 at 8:32 AM, Bigbootie said:

Remembered that I don't like career mode. Tried it again after update. I guess it just ain't for me, all that keeping up with money and repetitious busy work and stuff, I just want to blow stuff up, err I mean fly successful missions. Also, remembered that I do like Science and Sandbox mode.Haven't played in awhile. Waited on update and tried to cure KSP burnout due to over 800 hours in game. HA!

Me too. Balancing science, budgets, and facility & equipment breakages / upgrades is my full time job :P  I only play sandbox.

To the guys whose games are crashing... FWIW my game is stable again after uninstalling Kerbal Joint Reinf. and EVE. :(

Anyways... I built up Koddard station and flew my Dream Katcher there - I changed a couple graphical mods in between btw.

pDYNhQV.png

[ub28eXz.png

ZEsdrb0.png

Since reaching the runway is hard... I built my plane to splashdown :P

PrsOnIN.png

Edited by Pwnstarr

I've fiddled with rovers since v1.1.

screenshot4280jg.jpg

And after a lot of disappointment and foul language, I decided to develop a new rover according to - not realistic physics, but - to whatever "physics" could be experimentally derived from KSP's wheels. I was pretty satisfied with my eventual 'basic' model (above), planning derivatives of it, when I realized that squad must eventually change this mess. That means more wasted work for me. So now I've decided to take home my Laythe team (tomorrow maybe), and then quit playing KSP for a good while.

Edit:  P.S.   Some pointers about the data available in above picture: Speed over surface 17.2 m/s.
The artificial horizon is relative to the attitude of the rocket engine (press-down) which is the root. So, yes, it's traveling on a "slope" of 55 degrees. Just 35 degrees from pure vertical. And it's gaining altitude at +5. And the batteries are charging at 0.84.

Edited by Vermil

Yesterday, I was playing on the NoNameShips DMP server. First of all, I sent a ship to Eeloo, which somebody immediately deleted. Then, I messed around with the Crater Crawler on the Mun, and saw a strange black object which looked like a Munolith, but KSPMaps didn't show anything where I was. I accidentally blew the crawler up before I got to it, and after loading my quicksave, I couldn't find it again. Sad.

I then built my first MK3 Jet, which handles pretty well. Somebody said "that is one strange looking plane" so it's name is now "One Strange Looking Plane'. 

I then built a MK2 jet with ridiculously tiny wings, which used Panthers to get a max speed of ~900 M/S. I then swapped the Panthers for Rapiers, added some Oxidizer and called it a spaceplane. It didn't make it to orbit, but it easily breached the atmosphere. Nice.

And then I went to sleep.

Edited by teag2

Welp.
Now that 1.1 is out FOR REAL and not as a Steam exclusive (no forgiveness, ever), and it's finally the weekend, I finally got back to KSP.
And I discovered that when I open my existing Career save and switch to Kidonia, it spontaneously explodes :C

So now I'm working my way back up the tech tree again in an attempt to enjoy the new Career features while figuring out what I'm going to do about my Jool-5 mission.

Decided to start off with something that should be fairly simple, sticking a flag on the Mun Arch. Pretty sure I used an embarrassing amount of fuel for the task. I actually ran out of fuel just before landing, since my original landing spot was too far away, and also a 40 degree incline. Decided to do it old school with separate landing and ascent stages, which is fun, though it does leave debris behind.

14uj3ly.jpg

Edited by Randox

After Bill wrecked the first truck doing a Minmus Elcano, my rover design is finally doing what it was originally intended for; hauling oversized loads across the flats.

Pictured here:  Jeb decides to liven up the trip a little bit with a sudden 10 degree turn while taking some refinery equipment and engineers from the factory to the equator to build a fuel station.

10 tons on the back of a 4 ton truck helps a lot with downforce to maintain grip.

KSP_Minmus_Truck.png

Finally got 1.1. Sadly with Kerbpaint gone wrong and having trouble with hyper edit, I decided to do a high velocity deceleration test, but with the 10Meter Heatshields. 

The scenario-

At ~15 Kilometers, the engine controls are down, and clearly the landing in the water is the only option. (Ignore the Island Runway). Unfortunately, with the throttle stuck, they will be coming down at over Mach 2 (and ignoring the idea of turning then landing), but they've got a heat shield...

Results-Success!

The deceleration slowed the ship down to about 100 M/s, and allowed a good enough splashdown that while the fins and the engines didn't survive, the general structure did, so everyone lives. :) 

3 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Finally got 1.1. Sadly with Kerbpaint gone wrong and having trouble with hyper edit, I decided to do a high velocity deceleration test, but with the 10Meter Heatshields. 

The scenario-

*snip*

At ~15 Kilometers, the engine controls are down, and clearly the landing in the water is the only option. (Ignore the Island Runway). Unfortunately, with the throttle stuck, they will be coming down at over Mach 2 (and ignoring the idea of turning then landing), but they've got a heat shield...

Results-Success!

The deceleration slowed the ship down to about 100 M/s, and allowed a good enough splashdown that while the fins and the engines didn't survive, the general structure did, so everyone lives. :) 

Hence the saying, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

I FINALLY built a working SSTO!!!

It's based off the Aeris 4A design, with some variations (fin placement, different tail fin). It's pretty awful, and has a very particular way of flying it. If I don't gain altitude fast enough it burns up, if I go too high it'll run out of fuel. If I fly it well it can limp to orbit using monopropellant to circularize. I think the very first flight actually made it up to about 150x150 orbit, but later tests were limited to 70x70. I'll show pictures later.

It's awful, but I'm proud of it. 

Just now, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

It's based off the Aeris 4A design, with some variations (fin placement, different tail fin). It's pretty awful, and has a very particular way of flying it. If I don't gain altitude fast enough it burns up, if I go too high it'll run out of fuel. If I fly it well it can limp to orbit using monopropellant to circularize. I think the very first flight actually made it up to about 150x150 orbit, but later tests were limited to 70x70. I'll show pictures later.

Awesome!

I've been taking advantage of 1.1 x64 to go wild with mods, just messing around on Kerbin itself while waiting for things to settle down and/or stay in flux.  Nothing very exciting but I have made some things I like.  Such as this:

01 Jetliner

This has a cockpit and passenger bays from Prakasa Aeroworks, wings from OPT Space Plane, and is powered by a Thermonuclear Turbine.  It carries 20 passengers and substantial crew, in 1st-class luxury as you can see with the cut-away view, pretty much anywhere on Kerbin they want to go reasonably quickly.  Such as between all the KerbinSide bases.  And the large windows let them see the glories of EVE and Scatterer :)

I finally managed to use the Kie Fighter engine on something (that works) without resorting to the "solar panels". It looks like a doggy toy, but has at least enough power (2 banks of inline fuel cells) and enough xenon to go at least as far as minmus and return, although, since I rely on parachutes to land where there's an atmosphere, I think I'm going to have to move the radially-attached chutes out from under the side panels of the cockpit. I'm using Ships Manifest, so the design (theoretically) has an access tunnel between the cockpit and the lander can below. After landing, I just transfer the pilot to the lander can, and he EVAs from there, with no ladder necessary. That also means it can be used as a rescue vessel.

AS-357_zpskbo4ra4o.jpg

AS-359_zpsopfws4ph.jpg

AS-369_zps4u9eyyht.jpg

AS-376_zpsstcxhxfu.jpg

AS-380_zpsd7oy1igx.jpg

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/KIE%20Testbed

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Wound up 1.1 today and gave my Buran shuttle a test run before it's 1.1 grand re-release.  Nothing needed doing at all apart from swapping out the nose gear which is great, but I'm going to take advantage of the new performance to finally integrate the fuel cells and tweak a couple of other bits and bobs that have been on the wish list for some time.

UWdU5kM.png

The Buran 11F35 Kerbal 1.1B re-enters from 2260 KM with aplomb.

SM

I started a new career with 1.1 and spammed my GameData folder with mods (gradually adding more every day now...) . The KSP task is now running with like 7 gig of RAM usage. :D

First probe that made orbit...

YTDIrXn.jpg

It wandered off into the cold dark depth of space...

hiPfzZN.jpg

Launch of Vostok 1... the first manned spacecraft.

2UVpy8p.jpg

Jebediah burning into orbit...

DGKvYJd.jpg

Enjoying the view from high above...

MYjWSZM.jpg

Re-entry after one orbit...

7PjffqZ.jpg

Luna 1, the first unmanned probe to reach out to another celestial body, launching from the KSC...

0L9lxgy.jpg

Running scientific experiments over the Mun... Kerbin and Minmus in the background...

ee6URZx.jpg

And I got a whole week off from work for further KSP endeavors. :D

7 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Congratulations on this big achievement :)! I remember the moment, getting my first SSTO spaceplane to orbit very well... yes... it limped into circular orbit too - and i needed to sent a rescue mission to return the pilot home, as it had no fuel for de-orbit...

Found some time to continue work on the Von Braun / Constellation Duna Lander. I finally decided to move back from a 3.75 m to a 2.5 m profile again, as the large design only added weight and parts, without offering any massive increase in functionality. Here is the WIP, i´ve been working on over the week.

The new 2.5 m lander with habitat / science section deployed and docked into place:

75KHHaN.png

Deploying Duna Ascent Vehicle cover - different thruster settings assure, that the cover moves safely away from the lander:

WVwFrdS.png

Launching from the lander - The new DAV provides 1750 m/s of dV - my best and smallest 4 Kerbal DAV so far. Separatrons are propelling the DAV free of the lander, before main the engines ignite for orbital ascent:

grZxrAx.png

Edited by Frank_G