[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Porkjet actually made a proceduralwing and control surfaces asset, it's my fault it's not included yet. Ran into a bit of an issue with it....

8WcX5Y5.png

You can change the lift of the controlsurfaces by changing "modelChordLenght", it's quite possible that the pWings controlsurfaces have super weird perfomance to size ratios.

I am having the same problem.

Same, it's buggy, i can pick the parts but i cannot place them in game, i can hear the sound like if the part was placed but it's not and the piece remains over my mouse. I think a usable 0.24.2 version is needed because this is an awesome work... But kinda useless if you cannot use this great stuff.

Same, it's buggy, i can pick the parts but i cannot place them in game, i can hear the sound like if the part was placed but it's not and the piece remains over my mouse. I think a usable 0.24.2 version is needed because this is an awesome work... But kinda useless if you cannot use this great stuff.

Do you, by any chance, have NEAR installed? you're describing exactly what I had when I ran into that situation.

If not, could you please share your log file with us?

Well i'm not Enigme, but i do have NEAR installed (for B9) and am experiencing the same problem, specifically the procedural flaps, of any sort, won't attach after the attaching noise and will eventually cause a crash. I'm not sure which log file you want, so here's both:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62823/output_log.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62823/error.log

I'm away from my PC right now so no logs but I'm also seeing some sort of problem with pWing control surfaces. Same problem as described above. I believe it only started after I installed NEAR. The in game log shows NRE spam after trying to place a control surface.

Well i'm not Enigme, but i do have NEAR installed

Well, there's the problem :) As NathanKell noted on the previous page, this plugin is not compatible with NEAR, currently, and DYJ himself was so friendly to post that the next version is going to be compatible with NEAR.

Currently I have a B9/NEAR setup as well, and I really really miss this mod! ;.; (although I got my first SSTO, finally, after many attempts. Woo me!)

Hey guys, I'm having a little issue with PWings and I'm wondering if you can help. I'm building supersonic aircraft in FAR, so pretty much my only option is the allmoving wing. Unfortunately, every time I make one, it seems to experience some kind of slight imbalance always resulting in a left roll whenever the surface deflects, including when trimmed. Naturally, this makes the surface pretty damn useless for long-distance FAR flight. Has anyone else seen this and, if so, is there any solution, apart from not using them? I can't even SAS the damn roll out on long-distance flights because the SAS can't deal with transonic/supersonic flight without wobbling the craft literally to pieces.

Edited by Volt

I'm experiencing a bug with pWings: I can pick a wing-part up, but when I place it on my craft, it doesn't actually attach (despite making a sound as though it did). The debug log is spammed with Null Reference Exceptions, and shortly later a crash will occur. I saw the above comments implicating NEAR, but I don't use NEAR, I have FAR. (I'm not certain if that should make a difference).

My Player.log is here.

Hey guys, I'm having a little issue with PWings and I'm wondering if you can help. I'm building supersonic aircraft in FAR, so pretty much my only option is the allmoving wing. Unfortunately, every time I make one, it seems to experience some kind of slight imbalance always resulting in a left roll whenever the surface deflects, including when trimmed. Naturally, this makes the surface pretty damn useless for long-distance FAR flight. Has anyone else seen this and, if so, is there any solution, apart from not using them? I can't even SAS the damn roll out on long-distance flights because the SAS can't deal with transonic/supersonic flight without wobbling the craft literally to pieces.

This same bug has been driving me insane for the better part of the last 5 hours. I think more insane because no one seems to acknowledge it instead offering advice like "unattach the wing and reattach it." Which i guess worked for them, but not for me! haha!

Anyway, whats happening to me is probably happening to you but you don't notice it. go to the SPH, load the plane design that rolls out of control. and turn on the center of lift and the center of mass display balls. 99% sure you will see your center of lift off center to the right a little bit. Ive done some experimenting with different parts, and i have found that it appears to be caused by, at least in my case, the B9 widebody 8m cargo bay. as i can disassemble the plane, remove the cargo bay, add in a regular tank piece, put everything back together, and the CoL is down the center. Can you let us know what your configuration looks like? specifically which part the wing is "attached" to. It might help in determining if this is a procedural wing or a B9 bug. however, B9 is a virtual requirement for any serious space-plane enthusiast, as well as Pwings, so id say its a very important bug no matter what the root source turns out to be!

edit: upon further testing, i believe this may be a B9 bug with the CoL or the side attachment node calculations for the S2 widebody cargobay pieces. My CoL is offset by a lot to the right when i try to attach the P Wings to the side, but when i attach on the very bottom, there is no issue, CoL is down the middle. when attaching a regular wing section to the side, the CoL is offset as well. Can anyone test these three configurations and see if we can eliminate P-wings as the cause?

Edited by 3Dave

This same bug has been driving me insane for the better part of the last 5 hours. I think more insane because no one seems to acknowledge it instead offering advice like "unattach the wing and reattach it." Which i guess worked for them, but not for me! haha!

Anyway, whats happening to me is probably happening to you but you don't notice it. go to the SPH, load the plane design that rolls out of control. and turn on the center of lift and the center of mass display balls. 99% sure you will see your center of lift off center to the right a little bit. Ive done some experimenting with different parts, and i have found that it appears to be caused by, at least in my case, the B9 widebody 8m cargo bay. as i can disassemble the plane, remove the cargo bay, add in a regular tank piece, put everything back together, and the CoL is down the center. Can you let us know what your configuration looks like? specifically which part the wing is "attached" to. It might help in determining if this is a procedural wing or a B9 bug. however, B9 is a virtual requirement for any serious space-plane enthusiast, as well as Pwings, so id say its a very important bug no matter what the root source turns out to be!

edit: upon further testing, i believe this may be a B9 bug with the CoL or the side attachment node calculations for the S2 widebody cargobay pieces. My CoL is offset by a lot to the right when i try to attach the P Wings to the side, but when i attach on the very bottom, there is no issue, CoL is down the middle. when attaching a regular wing section to the side, the CoL is offset as well. Can anyone test these three configurations and see if we can eliminate P-wings as the cause?

I'm pretty sure this isn't a p-wings issue, but an issue with B9 cargobays. Happens to me with the S2 bays with FAR. I believe, according to Ferram, that it is a problem with the colliders in the cargo bay models.

Some minor suggestions for pwings improvement

1. I like the way when you attach a pwing to an existing pwing tip, the attached area automatically rescales to match the tip it is being attached to. Can you just make the same thing for the tip thickness ?

2. For the Type 3 wings, again when attaching a wingtip at an angle, could it somehow the texture be smoothed, so the seam (where it is attached) does not show ?

Typical scenario where I use above is I make my main wings for a craft, and always leave some space on the wingtip (just make sure to make wingtip thinner. i.e. 0.60), and then attach 1 more pwing of the same type on the tip and angle it 90deg, like todays airliners have. It is great for better yaw authority.

To illustrate what i mean by wingtips, below is the picture (in this picture I am not using pwings for wingtips, but i think it illustrates the point well enough)

A271XBy.png

@SirSock: I think that's possible, although I don't think FAR supports that kind of distortion - control surfaces are attached at the leading edge, and giving them a sweep doesn't do what you think it does here, so they would behave as if they had not been angled that way.

I'll think about it, but once we figure out /how/ to rotate the transforms, its trivial to add tweakable buttons to make a control surface match the leading/trailing sweep of the wing its attached to. Aything manual would likely be via tweakable, as we'd rather not add another mouse command.

Hey thanks! A lot!

If you're bored, here's something else I had mentioned to DYJ, adjustable length on leading or trailing edges, whichever is easier... In this image, left would be as-is currently, right would be with different edge lengths.

AHOmubV.png

Nah - FAR doesn't support trapezoids with non-parallel wing and root, and the values we use for stock lift are based on FAR. I'd rather not introduce things that stop the wings behaving like they're supposed to for their shape.

any update on the Mark4 pWing i really would like to be able to use it without using the Standard CTRL Surfaces.

also a video tutorial on how to create our own pWings would be nice too.

It's very simple actually, grab the sample wing in OP and you can set up your own basic pWings very quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, control surface thickness symmetry has been F1XX0R3D. Also, SP+ pWing, and:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42665548/KSP/Modeling/Screenshot_251.png

when's this update gonna drop? or has it already?