How do YOU manage your debris?

Colonel_Panic

How do you deal with space debris?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you deal with space debris?

• I don't deal with it, I disable persistant space debris.
    • I try and leave it on a suborbital trajectory and circularize with my payload engines.
    • I try and de-orbit it after circularizing.
    • I l4eave it on an inclined or eccentric orbit that I don't use.
    • I just leave it in orbit and deal with it.
    • I collect it later with a trash collector vehicle if it gets in the way.
    • Other. Leave a comment.

I try to deorbit as much as possible or put it in a sub orbital trajectory so that it'll crash. However every now and then I have a problem with a piece of debris and I've tried to deorbit by bumping/grasping, but it wasn't worth it. For troublesome debris I will do a close approach with another ship (usually unmanned) and hit the "]" key to switch to that debris and then 'end mission' it to make it go away.

With the hope of tabs coming, I may just stop caring about debris unless it become a performance killer. The only majot reason for me worrying about it is because if issues in targeting things in orbit.

I don't create it in the first place. All of my boosters have unmanned controllers and a small fuel reserve, so that I can de-orbit after delivering each payload into LKO. I also use SSTO spaceplanes for a lot of things that would be more efficient with rockets, such as launching small mapping satellites; I modified my standard Sleazy Weasel spaceplane to carry two ion-powered mapping probes on the ends of its wings, which it can either launch in orbit OR deliver itself after refueling. (I'm working on a heavier spaceplane with a cargo bay, but for now it's not necessary.) Most of my larger vehicles have onboard kethane refineries, so I have no need for extensive booster setups; they might not be SSTO in every case, but there's no need to stage once you're in orbit. In the few cases where I do use standard rockets without a reserve, I make sure to leave them on a suborbital trajectory. (Heck, my last Eve trip was with an SSTO, so I didn't even crash any boosters there.)

Most of the debris I still have in my game are the parts of rovers scattered near KSC, since the impacts that destroyed the vehicles often didn't destroy the pieces. Sooner or later I'll go pick those up with a specialized recovery vehicle, although the destroyed rover on Mun will be a bit harder to clean up. But my LKO space is nice and clean, other than the stations, spaceplanes, satellites, and so on...

I always put probes and batteries on my stages and leave a bit of fuel in there to deorbit them later. Failing that, I try to leave them in a suborbital trajectory so they crash back to Kerbin. My LEO is unfortunately quite crowded with ships and debris from before I started doing this. Some day I want to try to rendevous with the debris and deorbit it.

I used to deorbit debris and generally try to keep space clean just because of how incredibly difficult it got to select the right targets in LKO. There was many situations of "no KSP game, if I actually click directly on a ship I want to set that ship as my target. I don't want to set a target with a piece of debris that happens to have a similar orbit" :P

Nowadays I use the haystack mod to select targets with most of my ships that have this problem, and that means I can leave debris orbiting Kerbin, I've always kind of liked having debris. I find it kind of nice to see a piece of debris 20km away, click on it and reminisce about the past mission that created that debris... Good times :)

Part of my goal is to not have anything in orbit that isn't a working vessel, especially round Kerbin, but I also keep the orbits of other planet/moons clear too. All ascent stages are dropped on decaying orbits. On interplanetary missions I hold onto junk until I'm approaching the target planet and while far away I adjust course to a collide with the planet, drop fairings or whatever and then move back to an approach course. I have no debris anywhere in the solar system, but I do have quite a bit on the surface of various planets. Mun's surface is a mess!

For any interplanetary missions I normally use the Mun for a gravity assist to kick me into a higher/lower orbit around Kerbol. At the same time I detach any unneeded stages and crash them into the Mun on the way past. Using this I only have one bit of debris in interplanetary space, even after about 7 interplanetary missions.

I generally try to separate the bulk of debris while I'm still suborbital. Lately I've been doing larger missions further away, e.g. to Duna, and I've been carrying a load of rocket parts far beyond suborbital trajectories. I need to work on more debris-efficient rocket designs to try and minimise it. Most of it ends up in highly eccentric Kerbin orbits as it's usually dumped half way through a planetary transfer burn. In that case I try to ensure the periapse is sufficiently above my most commonly used low-kerbin orbits as not to pose any risk. Debris is always a concern but inevitably a load gets produced on large missions.

I always make sure to jettison my main lift stages before orbit. For space station components without engines I put probes on my orbital insertion stage to deorbit it.

S6OxuFj.png

Here it is dropping off a habitation module.

For debris on the surface I just finished the Landed Debris Removal System (LDRS)

HdwVhrM.png

The aerospikes are to send small debris across the ground at high speed. Could also double as a Kerbal Cannon I suppose ;)

Edited by Cipher29

In LKO, I try and ensure anything jettisoned reenters.

However, I tend to have staged interplanetary vessels. While it is sometimes possible to let the stages hit other bodies, sometimes it isn't practical and they get left in solar orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.