[0.20] SpaceJunk Cargo Bay

RoboRay

NOTE: An updated and improved version of this part is available from Wolfpack Aeronautics. Please see this forum thread for discussion and future development.

If you are interested in the "classic" version of the part, please continue reading...

It's back! The original cylindrical cargo bay for KSP is now updated for version 0.20. The part was created by Legal2k. He has granted me permission to update it for compatibility with current and future KSP versions and make it available for download.

0LMqh.jpg

JJj2j.jpg

The LSI SpaceJunk Cargo Bays are designed to carry payload items internally. Models are available for 1.25m, 2.5m and 3.75m cargos. Attachment nodes are located inside each end.

The bay doors can be operated by right-click menu or by assignment to Action Groups in the VAB or SPH.

If you are having trouble attaching payloads inside, try shifting the camera position so that you are inside the bay looking out the open doors. This allows easier access to the attachment nodes, especially if the part you are trying to add allows surface attachment (like unshielded docking ports). A special docking port that will only attach to part connection nodes is now included.

Downloads: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lsi-spacejunk-cargo-bay/

Installation:

If you have installed previous versions of the Spacjunk Cargo Bays, delete them to prevent duplicate files.

Extract the GameData folder into your KSP folder.

Changelog:

1.01 - Initial re-release by RoboRay. Direct adaption of Legal2K's 2.5m cargo bay, compatible with KSP 0.18+.

1.02 - Repositioned attachment nodes for flush-mounting of interior and exterior parts. Slightly enlarged 2.5m cargo bay to allow placement of RCS quads on 2.5m payloads. Added 1.25m and 3.75m versions of the cargo bay. Renamed folder for 2.5m cargo bay.

1.03 - Updated configuration file format for KSP version 0.20. Added docking port which is not capable of surface attachment for easier use inside the cargo bays.

1.04 - Reduced system resource requirements by consolidating all cargo bays into a single combined part.cfg and model.

NOTE: Files belonging to previous versions of the SpaceJunk Cargo Bays should be deleted prior to installing the 1.04 version to prevent duplicate files. Craft built with versions 1.02 and 1.03 are compatible with 1.04. Craft using the much older version 1.01 (including only the single 2.5m bay) are not, and will need to be updated.

NOTE: An updated and improved version of this part is available from Wolfpack Aeronautics. Please see this forum thread for discussion and future development.

Edited by RoboRay

Woohoo! It's back!

If only it had a download link...

Edit:

Found it on Spaceport

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lsi-spacejunk-cargo-bay/

LOL, well, in my defense, it was 1:30 in the morning and I was nodding off at the keyboard getting the new docking port sized and its nodes positioned correctly for you guys, before I could go to bed. :)

Thanks for posting the link, in the meantime. :)

This part *desperately* needs a reskin.

Yes, it does. Even L2k freely admits that. This part was what he made while learning how to make KSP parts and it was never really finished. However, it was for many months the only cylindrical cargo bay for KSP, which has probably contributed to it being so popular (over 17,000 downloads just since it's been on Spaceport). If you have ideas and the time to do replacement textures, a lot of people would benefit.

Edited by RoboRay

Thanks for posting the link, in the meantime. :)

No problem. Just glad to see this is still getting updated. It's one of those small things that adds much to the game.

i LOVE these things, just one beef. could you possibly make a model with nodes that will align for the space shuttle looking pod? PLEASE!!!! i so want to make a space shuttle ship with one of these cargo bays, but it just looks funny with the dumbly placed node on the space shuttle pod :/

I hate to be a bother, but you may want to consider a 5m version in your next release, would let me pack some starship modules inside. Unrealistic, perhaps, but useful.

That said, props on the mod, I've always used this to deploy the remoteTech satellites. Much simpler than the NP fairings, and more stable than placing them on a christmas tree rocket

i LOVE these things, just one beef. could you possibly make a model with nodes that will align for the space shuttle looking pod? PLEASE!!!! i so want to make a space shuttle ship with one of these cargo bays, but it just looks funny with the dumbly placed node on the space shuttle pod :/

Have you checked out the Mk3 Fuselage Expansion Pack? It's got an adapter that converts the Mk3 shuttle shape to the 2.5m cylindrical shape. It might end up looking better than having the cockpit just stuck onto the flat front of the cylindrical cargo bay (even if the attachment node was offset, as requested).

I hate to be a bother, but you may want to consider a 5m version in your next release, would let me pack some starship modules inside. Unrealistic, perhaps, but useful.

Probably not, because I just don't see it being used by many. While NovaPunch and a couple of other mods have 5m+ parts, 3.75m is as big as most mods go.

If you want a bigger cargo bay, though, you can always copy one of the existing ones, rename and retitle it inside the part.cfg file and adjust the "rescaleFactor" line to get whatever size you need.

Edited by RoboRay

Is there any chance of getting a more stock looking texture instead of the carbon one? I like the feel of the part, but the look is throwing me off a bit.

Only if someone wants to make it. I can maintain the compatibility of this mod with part.cfg edits, but I'm not an artist. If anyone does want to produce replacement texturing for this part, I'll be happy to incorporate it.

Only if someone wants to make it. I can maintain the compatibility of this mod with part.cfg edits, but I'm not an artist. If anyone does want to produce replacement texturing for this part, I'll be happy to incorporate it.

Since the models are in mu/mbm format, this isn't possible without having access to the original files.

Mind you, there's one thing you, as the maintainer, should probably do anyway: All three parts apparently use separate copies of the same model. You could save us all memory and make all three parts use the same model files, for which you just need to merge all three part.cfg files into one. :)

Since the models are in mu/mbm format, this isn't possible without having access to the original files.

Unfortunately, it is what it is. I don't have access to the source material.

Mind you, there's one thing you, as the maintainer, should probably do anyway: All three parts apparently use separate copies of the same model. You could save us all memory and make all three parts use the same model files, for which you just need to merge all three part.cfg files into one. :)

Yes, this I will be doing. It didn't even occur to me when I was adapting the files for 0.20 that I could roll them all into one part.cfg; then I saw that being done in other mods.

Unfortunately, it is what it is. I don't have access to the source material.

Actually, I might have been too hasty here.

MU is a 3D model format, which I know little about the inner workings of, but MBM is a trivial bitmap format, and after five lines of Python I've been able to recover a PNG version of the texture. Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532373/cargo-bay-texture.png

As far as I can see, the model is UV-mapped in such a way that every face gets the whole texture on it, which makes reskinning it technically trivial but artistically challenging. :)

As far as I can see, the model is UV-mapped in such a way that every face gets the whole texture on it, which makes reskinning it technically trivial but artistically challenging. :)

Interesting. Any replacement would have to be a pretty simple texture then, without any distinctive details.

It might actually be better to make a new model and retire this one. :) I'm kind of surprised nobody else has ever made a cylindrical cargo bay with big swinging doors like this one. At least, as far as I know. New art assets is just something I don't have the time to manage myself, though.

The 1.04 version with all three bays consolidated into a single part.cfg and calling the same model is uploaded now, by the way. Delete your old cargo bay files, as I tested it and the transition is seamless for your existing craft.

Thanks anyway, it's still better even with the strange glittering effect.

That's because of the UVmap being so unusual - apparently, some faces only get a strip just a couple pixels wide or something to that effect, while others get the entire texture. The texture itself is just a gradient I made attempting to match B9 pack colors. The original texture is a repeating pattern, which is initially noisy, so the way it maps onto the moving faces is not very apparent.

I finally got a chance to check out your retexture (gaming machine has been broke)... I think it's definitely an improvement. The shimmering effect from the UVmap take a little getting used to, but understand there's nothing that can be done about that without the source files.

I hesitate to replace the black "carbon fiber" texture with this one due to the shimmer effect, though, along with the usual hate and discontent that arises whenever something gets changed (even to make it better). However, if you would like to upload your file to Spaceport, I will link to it on the main SpaceJunk Bay page as an alternative texture package. I would prefer you upload it, since it's your work and this way you keep control of it.