katyjsst

Is 0.20 faster than 0.19?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is 0.20 faster than 0.19?

• Yes! Very significant change
    • Yes! Slight improvement
    • No change.
    • Performed worse.

Yes, undoubtably in my case. I have recurring and well known lag problem when looking at Kerbin which is still fixed by editing the settings file for kerbin or something, but once that is complete, my game loads physics faster than 19.x. The framerate during 200+ part launches is significantly higher than before (not quantified). Furthermore, reccurring crashes on loading the launch tower/changing scene appear to have been fixed.

Edited by TheLowestBidder
Too many damned commas.

My game loads faster and plays faster but that could well be because I hardly have any mods back in yet. Once I get back Novacore and KW Rocketry mods I will be able to make a more reasonable comparison. But certainly at the moment changing to the map view is very fast compared to before.

I voted slight improvement, but for me it has gone in two directions. The game itself seems a little smoother (although I never built anything big enough to lag it like others). But the game loading is noticeably slower - and that is with fewer mods than before (I'm now almost entirely stock).

Load times are massively improved. The FPS rate is a little lower in flight (not enormously, but slightly), but since most of my frustration with 0.19 tended to be lag in the hangars and when waiting for Physics to switch on, I'm happy with that exchange. Despite the slightly lower FPS in flight, overall the game is much faster.

Yes, undoubtably in my case. I have recurring and well known lag problem when looking at Kerbin which is still fixed by editing the settings file for kerbin or something, but once that is complete, my game loads physics faster than 19.x. The framerate during 200+ part launches is significantly higher than before (not quantified). Furthermore, reccurring crashes on loading the launch tower/changing scene appear to have been fixed.

could you explain better what that settings file fix is? I've been looking for that for a while.

I've noticed general improvements, but I still can't wait for some serious optimization. I dream of the day I can launch a proper 500 part rocket without having to go take a coffee break mid ascent cuz it's running so slow:) Or when I can view my spacestation in double digit FPS. I'll buy as many t-shirts and coffee mugs as I can if the devs will make this happen:)

Major drop in the number of playable parts for me....

I went from being able to fly 1000 part rockets off the launch pad to having to use mechjeb [first mod/plugin I have installed, and I only installed it in .20] to launch if the part count goes above 500.

It also takes longer to load everything :(

Edited by Windchild

Since I installed it, no weird behavior, no crashes, and faster loading times and faster rendering for me, less stutter. I don't know if I've just been extremely lucky, but life in the Kerbol system has never been this smooth as glass. Maybe perhaps it's because I never use mods. I was going to install MechJeb and KAS today, but will push it back until I've finished my current Eve/Gilly missions.

Well, it loads faster and lags less when I load rockets on the launchpad; but as soon as I look at Kerbin, it drops to ~5 FPS, which is extremely annoying. Doing stuff in LKO is almost impossible because the lag, I have to keep pointing the camera away from kerbin, and when I EVA someone in LKO my FPS drop to ~3. This didn't happen in 0.19 :(

I'm currently using:

-mechjeb 2

-The 0.20 version of KAS

-A fixed version of KW Rocketry

-A rescaled version of the new wheels for small manned rovers

I did a completely fresh install and noticed this before installing the mods.

It only happens on kerbin. Last night I did a landing on the Mun and all LMO ops went perfectly smooth.

I added the HOME and Lazor System mods, and it loads at about the same speed it did in .19, so loading times have slightly improved. I'm definitely seeing less lag, but the time it takes to load from, say, the VAB to the launchpad feels like it's almost doubled. Also, the Kraken's shown up in full force now, while I used to be able to do pretty much whatever I wanted and still slip through its grasp. My space station at 1000km requires great care to operate...

My game loads faster and moves into the VAB faster but gameplay is much lower FPS and the textures currently look like crap. So I am saying performance is worse. I care more about gameplay experience than loading times.

Hard to say since my current 0.20 install is mod free, but I feel like big ships with a lot of parts are handled way better and I don't see as big of a drop off as in 0.19 . But really I didn't test that enough to make a definitive comment on it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.