What kinds of missions to you wish KSP supported?

Moon Goddess

Hey, i use Chatterer set on "often". My guys gibber to each other every 30 seconds :) That would be shortest hibernation period ever.

What, even when you're not focused on the vessel? You must be imagining things. :)

Anyways, back on track. Ability to place something in Lagrangian points. Be it space telescope, huge communications relay, enormous solar powerplant, or maybe even O'Neill habitat :cool:

Actually... There's no hope of ever getting "true" Lagrangian points. Physics engine can't handle it, won't ever handle it, period, end of story. Not the way it's written now.

There might, however, be a chance to fake them with a plugin, because plugins can and do apply thrust and forces whichever way they please -- see the Orion drive currently under development for an example of doing just that. The unanswered questions for determining if it's possible in theory are: a) Can a plugin alter the orbit of a vessel that is currently on rails? B) How exactly would a plugin tell if something has actually reached a Lagrangian point?

If those are answered, it might turn out that this can be done. :)

Perhaps a poor man's sort of crude emulation of a Lagrange point could be made in the current one-body physics model by making a tiny one pixel "planet" at the location of a Lagrange point that has zero gravitational pull but is tweaked to have a small but nonzero sphere of influence anyway even though a zero gravitational body shouldn't have one. That way once you get inside this point's tiny sphere of influence, it effectively "gets rid" of the gravity of of the other objects nearby because now it calculates your gravity based on it alone (which is zero) and just tracks your position relative to this point, which in turn is on-rails to move correctly with the other bodies. So if you can zero your momentum entirely so you don't drift out of the sphere of influence, you stay put inside the small sphere of influence of the Lagrange point and the game calculates your global position the way it always does in the one-body model, by adding the offset from the primary body (in this case the L point) to the on-rails location of that primary body (which would run on an equation designed to follow the correct position for said L point.) If you drift out of the small sphere of influence of the L point, then you're back into the sphere of influence of one of the other bodies and start falling toward it. The curves wouldn't be exactly right when transitioning between spheres of influence, but then again, they aren't in the current model either.

Perhaps a poor man's sort of crude emulation of a Lagrange point could be made in the current one-body physics model by making a tiny one pixel "planet" at the location of a Lagrange point that has zero gravitational pull but is tweaked to have a small but nonzero sphere of influence anyway even though a zero gravitational body shouldn't have one.

That's actually very clever and has a very good chance of working. (I think there is some concern about what happens to origin points, but only someone deep in the engine internals can tell if it's valid.) You should put that in the suggestions forum section.

Re: Armageddon:

I hate it, but for a different reason. They didn't do the research on Russian names.

FTFY.

Shortly after joining the forums, I wrote a loooooooong post detailing what I'd like to see in terms of impactor-diversion missions. Some of them are, regrettably, impossible with the way KSP handles physics. Still, I've liked the idea of an educational game based on that particular facet of spaceflight; I just don't know how to prevent it from being all-or-nothing so that the player can feel a partial sense of accomplishment for doing some stuff right.

Would really like to see Kerbal's end game (or expansion) go sci fi with associated missions.

A sort of epoch tier of technology.

"I want to build a jump gate network. "

"Terraform Duna, by saturating it with 24 nano-machine bombs"

"Witness the fire power of this now fully operational battle station... er I mean starbase that has no weapons but can build ships outisde of the gravity well." (Shh, I am totally putting weapons on it.. like a "laser")

"Build the space elevator"

"Hollow out this asteroid and turn it into a sleeper ship to send to the next star system (where it will construct a jump gate"

"Colonies... colonies everywhere!"

Things that require multiple stages to accomplish but have a very neat impact on the game after construction so that it feels like I am leaving a mark on space.

They're Hollywood. I don't even expect them to research rocket science anymore. :P

Point taken. I just felt... misled. Like when a story seems to be leading to a really tense spot, and it's hard to see how the hero will win the day, and then -- surprise! It was a dream all along!

When Charleton Heston gave the voiceover in the beginning of the movie explaining what the K-T Event was (and getting stuff wrong, yes, but you got the sense they were trying), I expected something minimally plausible. I'd still give lots of support to a movie that tried to handle the threat of an impactor with realism. But my expectations were dashed, and it's hard for me to love a story that does that. YMMV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.