Is it bad to use KSP mods?

What's interesting is vast majority of "purists" aka "stock-only" players haven't actually tried using mods.

And some of them think that they are better at playing this game and they got more skill than those people who use any kinds of mods.

And they are those people who will flat-out say to your face that "USING MODS IS CHEATING!"

The only time that Mods might reduce your fun is in challenges, or in showing off to the community. A good build is a good build, and there's no reason not to diversify parts for aesthetic or functional value.

If the mod makes the game different but doesn't change the fundamental mechanics, no one is going to complain that you didn't calculate your TWR by hand.

But if you have an engine that basically eliminates the concern of running out of fuel and try to show it off on an otherwise really amazing craft doing something difficult (Taking off from eve, for instance), you're going to get 'meh, anyone could do that'.

Basically, use mods to enhance your experience, but be aware that using game-breaking mods/parts won't make stories and pictures that the community will enjoy as much as an ambitious failure. Unless you're VERY good at presentation.

Ugh... at times it can be more hindrance than help. I'm trying to design a decent lander that is similar to Altair is getting to be a [snip] with so many parts to choose from. Just gave up and deleted my current attempts due to either bits falling off or weird rotational problems and using multiple mods it could be any one of them that is causing the problem.

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

I use mods in almost every game I play, but is it considered cheating in KSP if I use the B9 pack, or KW pack? I see what the people in the spacecraft exchange can do, and am I bad?

I only consider mods like hyperedit or unrealistic mods as cheating.

It's not a delusion... When you play a game like Call of Duty for example you can choose which difficulty you want to play it on. Selecting "Easy Mode" isn't cheating. Same with KSP. Altering it is just like choosing easy mode in COD. It's not cheating, it's just altering the difficulty.

You did not contradict my point that cheating is possible. You just provided an example of something that is not cheating.

I only consider mods like hyperedit or unrealistic mods as cheating.

My thoughts exactly. But if you want to cheat, go for it.

Mods are not cheating because the devs built modding INTO THE GAME. It's not like you are using a hex editor to do things that are not possible using the software. Plus the devs made modding ridiculously easy for ANYONE to use. This means that, not only is it okay, but it is supported, endorsed and encouraged.

If it were a multi-player game and, unknown to the other players, I were secretly running some kind of hack that gave me an advantage over them ... THAT would be cheating.

This is a sandbox. YOU determine what is right and fun.

Also, on the subject of add ons like MechJeb, consider this. If the game had included MechJeb "out of the box," would people still be whining about it?

... oh wait. It's the internet. Yes, yes they would.

You DO NOT need validation for the way YOU choose to enjoy KSP.

The only bad thing that can happen in a community with mods is when people start making cults around them and force their opinions on others. Doubt it will happen on the KSP forums anytime soon. Install what you want and don't care about what anyone says.

I use mods in almost every game I play, but is it considered cheating in KSP if I use the B9 pack, or KW pack? I see what the people in the spacecraft exchange can do, and am I bad?

As a bit of a purist myself (I only installed MechJeb for the first time last week, and I've been playing since .8 :)), I say play the game the way you want to play it. There are some very talented mod designers for KSP, and it'd be a shame not to try what they have to offer.

Besides, why do you care what the Internet thinks about what you do in the privacy of your own home? :)

It's not necessarily bad, but it is certainly not cheating in a single player game. Tons of people use mods. Since KSP is still in Alpha and heavy development, there are a plethora of things that could be added later, but mods can offer now. If a mod just adds more parts, you can still experience the vanilla game. Still, Mec Jeb is not really cheating, but it removes the value of the game and the most important part, flying your craft. Mec Jeb is best for things that would be humanly impossible to do, like hovering over the moon, etc. Other mods, I don't remember the name, but you can save launch stages and go between SPH and VAB. These are just handy things that would most likely be implemented eventually. I'd say it's up to you what and how many mods you want to use, but I prefer the vanilla mechanics. But adding new parts elongates the game's life for the player, and I am getting to the stage where I've done almost everything.

What is wrong with mods? I think that the modding community tends to produce the best content for KSP. Every game that allows modding benefits from the dedication that modders have for making a game better by developing new assets, utilities, and tools. It also a great way for developers to connect with the users who play their games. So from a purely philosophical standpoint, I believe modding makes gaming in general a more pleasurable experience.

With respect to KSP, I think the mod community has added a whole bunch of life to a game that would otherwise feel a little undeveloped. I know the game is an alpha, but without the help of the KSP mod community the game would feel like playing an alpha too.

Are you bad for using mods in KSP? Does it really matter, the point of the game is to have fun putting Kerman into space, or not. I will say though, if you ignore what the mod community for KSP has been doing, you are missing out on a whole lot of really amazing content.

Edited by jahnj13
I forgot a comma

Mec Jeb is not really cheating, but it removes the value of the game and the most important part, flying your craft.

Tank Buddy, Keep in mind that what is valuable to you may not necessarily of value for someone else.

For instance, some people value the design aspect of the game far more than the piloting part. The really great thing is that NO MATTER WHAT you enjoy doing most in KSP, the game can accommodate your play style.

I look at it like this. Anyone who tells me "this is the best way to play KSP" merely forgot to include the words "for me."

So... KEEP KALM AND KERBAL ON.

• 1 month later...

I am going to reiterate here. sandbox or not single-player or not, you can't cheat in a game that doesn't have any rules yet.

It is not finished. It is version ZERO.21.

So by all means create GOD parts that consume almost 0 fuel, make wheel's that are nigh on invincible, and use 1000's of extra parts.

for in this world YOU ARE GOD (Maniacal laughter) (Curtains) (Load Previous save because I regret doing that)

Some say yes, some say no, my personal opinion is that I wouldn't play KSP if it weren't for mods. I love the rocket building but without some mods to help me fly them they'd never do anything but look pretty on the tarmac in my game.

Some mods actually make the game much harder not easier :D. Using mods to me just adds to the experience, by not using them, I would be cheating myself of that experience.

Mods are not the same thing as Alt F12. That is cheating when you have to use infinite fuel just like God mode in a FPS game.

Some game mods are like extra levels or complete new games. Others, like some KSP mods add new functions.

Basically, just learn how to fly in KSC using stock parts. Then, use the mods for automating flights for building stations and bases and adding new components for building bigger and more realistic rockets for the sim.

Short answer: NO

Long answer: NO.​ You're a PC gamer, you're supposed to embrace modding. In fact I don't know of any PC game aside from online games and straight console ports where you can't mod the game. Obviously it's not a bad thing under any circumstances.