Is it bad to use KSP mods?

I use mods in almost every game I play, but is it considered cheating in KSP if I use the B9 pack, or KW pack? I see what the people in the spacecraft exchange can do, and am I bad?
Depends how quickly you might get bored of the game. I can safely say that if not for Tiberions, Bobcats, R4mons etc plugins and mods, I wouldn't still be here playing KSP. I don't use the B9 pack myself but I can't see how it would be cheating - in fact I don't see how anything is cheating yet, since there is no actual game to cheat in.

I think everything that is "too good to be true" is cheating. Most mods actually make the game harder or have balanced parts so its not cheating.

Also as others mentioned yes it may be cheating but its still a singleplayer-game so its okay to do it as long as you dont pretend online to have achieved something you actually cheated to achieve. Also you should consider that by using programs like Mechjeb you actually loose big parts of the actual gameplay. Pretty much like playing a Singleplayer-Shooter with an Aimbot.

(Also i only consider MJ as "cheating" when it comes down to the autopilot)

But you should always consider one thing - once you cheat chances are a game will get boring fast since one thing is true in gaming "the path is the goal" - also chances are that by cheating you will actually loose the interrest in doing such things ingame on your own because they will at some point only seem boring.

I dont see why people are arguing that there is no cheating in single-player probably some form of self-protection. There were times when cheating in SP was even considered fun (big head cheats etc.). Anyhow as i said and will say again as long as you do it in SP and dont pretend to be able to do these things without cheats online i dont see a problem.

Also i think cheating offline and online has similar effects on the person doing it - its about instant reward and accomplishments even if those are not real.

I would never cheat in KSP because i know that by doing so i would probably loose a lot of interrest in the game due to the new mentality like "Why should i spend hours of playtime to build my space-base" when i could just autopilot or even "beam" them there?"

Point is it is somewhat boring or even stupid to waste time but it still also is fun - and most important once i start doing what i just said the game will be boring pretty soon.

So Autopilots for me are a no-go. On the other hand i would be interrested in "real-autopilots" that have to be created by the user for every single space-rocket they create. I think testing the best settings for your rocket and tweaking it not to mention getting it to go to orbit in the first place is probably a lot of fun.

Edited by SpaceHole

I find mechjeb to be key for setting launch paths and gravity turns (can place a target on your navball that will move to follow the gravity turn you set) you dont have to use its autopilot function, its also great for timing for launch windows, and the deltaV stats in VAB. B9 and the firespitter pack arent really cheaty, in fact getting those big B9 parts airborne can be a challenge. Kethane gives me a reason to set up mining expeditions and planetary exploration programs. KAS gives me the ability to make cranes to load things onto my reusable ships, and to transfer fuel form ship to ship without having to dock (docking on land is a pita). The Hooligan lab mods are fun, the airships can be a bit cheaty but you can make some interesting ships with them, the firespitter pack adds TONS of atmospheric plane parts (propellers and all sorts of funsie things. My favorite mods are the bobcat HOME pack, its what i picture colonization to look like, I also cant wait for the DEMV re-release, sexiest rovers ever.

If the developers thought using mods was bad, they simply wouldn't have made the game mod-able. The fact that they did ought to answer the original question beyond any doubt - but in case it hasn't, the fact that they have hired more than one modder, and are implementing several mods into the base game, ought to make it abundantly clear.

Using mods is not bad.

Even if you consider that some mods is cheating(example:hyper edit),it's not the mod that is cheating but the way you use it:

Landing you mega-base on the mun,claiming you did it by yourself might be called cheating.

Using hyper edit to make the rocket(use hyper edit to take the lander into munar orbit to see if it can land and then making the launcher to put the lander into munar orbit)is not cheating.

At the risk of beating a long-dead horse, I'll once again point out that KSP is a single-player game, and thus the definition of cheating is entirely up to the player.

No its not - thats simply what people say to comfort themselves.

Cheating is cheating - if you cant deal with this then you shouldnt cheat. There is a set of rules in the game that you alter to gain an advantage. Althogh i agree that cheating online and cheating SP is completely different. Also i agree that the definition of cheating is a bit of a problem since doing it SP without showing online etc. actually lacks the "immorality". But there are quite a lot of definitions of "cheating" anyhow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating#In_video_games

Is using an aimbot in a SP-Shooter cheating?

Also yes cheating in SP is different as long as you dont brag with your "success" etc. online to intimidate others hiding the fact that its not actually your "success". So cheat as much as you want if it makes the game more fun for you - ppl did that all the time - there were times back in the 90s were cheats were actually included that added fun to the game (big heads and other crazy stuff).

(BTW i also cheat im some games like Mincraft - but i do realize that i altered the rules to gain an unfair advantage and i wouldnt post stuff online without saying that)

Also as i said before adding such mechanics in the game will probably destroy the game - ppl are lazy - at least i am so i will use whatever mechanic is deemed a "normal gameplay-mechanic". Problem is by using an autopilot a big part of the game is pretty much "lost" and the game will get boring rather fast.

Since you didnt read my post i am for "programmable" autopilots that the players have to actually create for each of their space-ships. But not like Mechjeb which pretty much does everything for you.

Edited by SpaceHole

Cheating have nothing to do with Mod. Mod is a sort of implementation, a plus, that you choose to add or not. Some make your stuff easier, others not. But all are implementing the original game. In sort of ways.

Mod's are good. Don't disrespect the people that work doing it for free, and share all with you.

This thread is closed!

Edited by Climberfx