the lucid dreaming thread

redwolfy

That's because you get excited when you realize it's a dream. You will gain control of it over time. I find that meditating in dreams makes them incredibly vivid. Do the sohum meditation style, with the criss cross applesauce legs and all.

No, I think I just gain too much awareness and it seems like I'm only half in the dream. My head becomes clearer, free from the crazy inability to control your emotions in dreams and then I start to feel like I'm in my bed and then I start to recognise where light is coming from and then I'm just trying to stop myself from waking up and soon enough I lose it. I can usually get back to sleep but I don't have full control of myself anymore and it'll be a totally different dream.

Sometimes I'm lucky and can stay in the dream.

My most common state of dream control is actually being able to move, but it takes a lot of effort and I'm really slow and tend to be like pulling myself along with a lot of resistance, and usually gravity is really slow too so I can never get a good grip on the ground (but I don't fly too high either).

I was dreaming that i was flying, i flew all around my town but it was very hard to stay aloft and never went more than a few metres above the ground. Then i realized i couldn'd fly, and suddenly i just lifted off, flew as high as i wanted, as far as i wanted, and i was free.

Another one, i don't remeber much of the dream before i realized, but after i did, everything turned into a video game! I could turn invisible, i was hitting robots with my sword, i found the seven chaos emeralds and went super saiyan, and a bunch of other crazy stuff! Fun times were had.

When I get to fly I always fly like I'm doing the breaststroke swimming technique. I guess that always felt the most natural way for me to move in a 3 dimensional plane so I adapted it to flying.

DreamOn, applied directly to the brain!

Almost fell off my chair with laughter. Haha

Dream:ON isn't helpful to me :( No android version. I don't own an iPhone.

Edited by KD3

It sounds very interesting. I didn't know it was such a huge thing! I thought it was just something that happens sometimes, but it looks like not.

I've had some semi-lucid dreams, where I just knew, that I was more than dreaming but couldn't really control anything.

But now I need to go to sleep, and guess what I'm going to do?

Yes, you are right, I'll try to lucid dream! :D

(I know it isn't that easy, but you can't succeed if you don't try).

Oh, and btw, any advice for a newbie like me?

One I have been meaning to get back into is the dream journal. Chances of increasing lucid dreams aside, it's really neat to go back and read, and reclaim some of those memories. If your going to spend a significant portion of your life asleep, you might as remember as much of the crazy stuff that happens as you can. Besides, I find that my dreams present windows into what my mind is thinking about behind the scenes, which enables me to better deal with stress that I might not even be aware of consciously, or that I thought I had gotten past.

I've had a few lucid dreams, a couple of which I remember better than the others.

The first time, I wasn't prepared for it and I wasted it trying to set things up perfectly. Oddly, even lucid, my mind was skipping over the fact that I was essentially teleporting place to place. I tried to wrap it up once I felt myself waking up, but it was unfortunately largely wasted.

The second time, I remembered the first time. This is also one of very few dreams where I have been able to fly at will (I've had the same ability in at least one regular dream). I felt that I had less impact over the surroundings, it was more passive in that the inhabitants of my dream world were extremely agreeable and forwarded the dream quite smoothly. Also, being able to take to the air pretty much at a whim was amazing, and I'll credit that to already having had that ability prior to realizing it was a dream.

The third one I don't remember so well, but I know that I tried to fly again, and I ran into a common problem which is that I can't. I remember it not lasting that long, and I think I tried to hard to bend the dream to my will. The second one lasted longer than the first and third combined, and I think that's because I never tried to bend the dream, I was already enjoying it so much that I just played along and enjoyed the awareness. I suppose by not really doing much with my conciousness and leaving much of the dream as was, I might have avoided waking myself up early.

I've also had dreams which I would call a sort of half lucid. I am not aware that I am dreaming, but at the same time I am attempting to forcefully exert my own will in the dream. It's like the concious mind is being engaged without realizing it. The first time I can remember it happening, someone tried to hurt me in a dream. Understand, that even in nightmares, I always have a level playing field. I've been hurt or defeated in a dreams only twice I think. I'll have god like intuition if I need it. Anyway, instead of being attacked, my mind seemed to give form to anger. Just up and created a guy with a huge sword out of thin air to cut the would be assailent into pieces a la laser grid. I'll never forget the feeling of that happening, though I can't really describe it. It did however wake me up quite quickly.

Another time was trying to fly. Again, it's hard to describe. I was trying to fly, with conscious will trying to alter the dream to allow this and with limited success, but I managed to do it without becoming aware that I was dreaming. However, much like my first and third lucid dreams, exerting conscious will on my dream world like this starts the ball rolling on the wake up phase, and I woke up maybe 30 seconds later. Of course, an alternate interpretation would be that I was already waking up, which is why I was actively trying to alter the dream world.

One thing that does make me hesitate though, now that I have gone through it, is sleep paralysis. At the time, I thought it was actually a lucid nightmare. I never actually tried to move, so I didn't notice that I couldn't, but essentialy what happened was my eyes opened and I noticed that my bed was sliding across the floor into my closet. Not enjoying the situation at all, all I wanted was to wake up, since I thought I was asleep. I also go the true to form malevolent presence, which is why I never tried to move. I realized that if I was dreaming, whatever I thought up was going to become manifest, and that I did not want to see what was behind me, nor did I want to close my eyes and open them again. It didn't last long, and under the assumption that I had willed myself to wake up, I took a minute to get a drink and a deep breath, and tried to go to sleep again. When the exact same thing happened, I decided that I didn't need to sleep that badly and didn't try again for another hour.

I do however normally sleep with a sleep mask, to counter the ever increasing number of objects in my life with little charging lights, and any light that gets through my curtains at night. This does solve my largest fear with sleep paralysis which is that I might actually see whatever my mind can cook up, because I know that in that state, the only things I will create in my own mind will be whatever I least want to see at that time. It's like a custom horror movie. As I suppose another counter, I also like an audio distraction when I sleep, so I also have a head band with little speakers in it running the feed of any familiar show all night, so that should cut down on auditory hallucinations.

Actually, that brings me to one more half lucid state, and that's when your ears never 'turn off', and instead feed everything you really hear into your dream. I think most people experience at some point with the alarm, where instead of waking up, they hear it in the dream. I once had a dream, that for the life of me I can't remember more than bits and pieces of, that took place to a family guy episode. I don't know if my brain managed to create an entire alternate coherent story or not, just that all the spoken lines made sense to me at the time. I also remember that the entire dream took place on an aircraft carrier.

I'll have to do some reading around this, sounds pretty interesting. Just from reading the first paragraph in the link to World of Lucid Dreaming it sounds familiar, like I've had lucid or 'semi-lucid' dreams, as I definitely had control over my own actions etc.

The weird thing is these dreams are pretty often in one of the foreign languages I speak, but completely fluent, which definitely doesn't happen in real life!

You can and you can't, and I expect it gets much easier with practice. To me, it feels like the dream is still coming from the same part of the brain, the massive creative powerhouse that lives in the subconcious, and I don't get to directly influence it. I control myself, and my actions, but the rest of the dream and the people in it are like computer simulations. That said, by being aware, the subconcious seems to respond very well to my desires. People say what I want to hear, I find myself in the places I want to be, and I can at the very least levitate a bit by willing it really hard, though the time it worked really well it was something I could do pre lucid. That's hit or miss.

The next chance I get, I want to see if there is a possibility for non human 'simulation'. More limbs, maybe more eyes. Dreams seem to hijack the brain to play pretend. You see in a dream exactly how you see in real life, just with the information coming from the mind rather than your eyes. Same with all the other senses. So I would think you ability to say, have 360 degree spider vision would be limited by what your visual cortex can handle. The ability to have 4 arms is subject to your brain, your motor cortex's, ability to figure out how that would work and what it would feel like. I think extra limbs would be pretty easy. I can sit here and image that, but I can't imagine what 360 degree vision would look like.

Yes! My first lucid dream! Here's what I wrote on my dream calender:

MEMORABLE

Length: ~3 sec

Type: Lucid

I woke up during (what I think is) my REM, at 2:00. After 5 minutes fell back asleep. In the dream I was playing basketball, did nose RC then woke up.

Yes, it was only 3 seconds, but as soon as I realized I had just had a lucid dream, it was a huge boost to my self-confidence.

Also, the nose reality check woke me up, did I do something wrong, or do some reality checks wake you up? It might just be that it was a short dream.

Just had an lucid dream lasting longer than a minute.

Memorable Length : ~ Unknown (Though I remember what happened)

Was an invisible energy entity, something like Bowman in 2010. So, I was an invisible energy entity inside this habitat. I see some humanoid shadows, and voices speaking English. There is a coffee mug floating. A calendar taped to the wall reads "2041". Zoom out. The habitat is attached to a heap of trusses and fuel tanks. I see solar panels, three plasma engines. Tiny speck in distance. Head toward it. See a dot. Zoom in. It's takes the form of Jupiter.

Suddenly find myself on moon. I'm near a large base. See humanoids wearing spacesuits. Can make out they are human, cannot make out individual features. Notice American flag near moonbase. See a LER in the distance. Probably still in 2041. See a photo of a base on Mars. Wake up.

Best dream evar :)! I hope it is accurately predicting future.

Edited by NASAFanboy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.