the lucid dreaming thread

redwolfy

Also, the nose reality check woke me up, did I do something wrong, or do some reality checks wake you up? It might just be that it was a short dream.

Congrats! It's not unusual for the first few to be over quickly, the excitement from your success can bring you out pretty quickly. My recommendation would be to stay calm, and begin focused observation of your dream. Touch, listen, feel, smell, taste if your up for it, the dream around you. This should make things significantly more vivid.

I swear as much as I like this thread I can never read it without thinking: "Duuuuuuuude You, like, gotta feed the dreams maaaaaaaan. make psychedelic maaaaaaaaaan."

This is bad and I should feel bad^

I basically have them every night, sometimes random and sometimes i see myself then i get transported to somewhere with strange creatures talking but i dont remember what they are saying. And once, me and my friend who lived like 100m from each other at the time had the same dream but from our perspectives. I could see him and he could see me, we talked and did stuff and always a strange man was following us like a guardian and when i told him about this dream he said he also remembers it. We describes the same enviroment and stuff. I am still baffled to this day. In my "random" dreams i mostly think alot or look at distant planets from afar(That look incredibly real) I havent trained it is that i was born with it.

After doing some of the techniques you recommended, I think my dream last night went semi-lucid.

The dream started by waking up in my bed. I looked at my dream journal that I stuck on the wall and I remembered to do my reality checks. I always wear my digital watch so I stared at it. The time kept changing, sometimes to impossible time such as 67:89. I thought "This is a dream! cool." I walked into the doorway and I tried to fly through the ceiling, but try as I might, I think I just hovered against the ceiling. I then decided to go outside. When I opened the door, I saw a party in a large lawn. I went to the sidewalk and I tried to fly again. After a while I saw a note. It read:

Try to jump high first, then try to fly.

As soon as I finished reading it I woke up to a person congratulating me on my first lucid dream. after that I truly woke up.

The dream was really interesting and I'll try to take more control next time. Lucid dreaming is fun! :)

I've flown in things in my dreams more than I have flown by myself. To the best of my recollection, I have only flown entirely by myself without difficulty once, in a dream that became lucid (both before and after that point). In the only other case of my flying effortlessly in a dream, I had wings attached to my back. I've never flown in anything while lucid though. A helicopter might be fun.

At first I thought that was a quickpost meant for the Warthunder thread, I think I get it after a couple of replies though. :P

I've done both. Not specifically a Spitfire or anything, just general "craft vs personal" flight. I don't have a ton of experience, but flying aircraft tends to be easier than willing yourself into the air for me. On the other hand, I also struggle with correctly summoning an aircraft.

My personal favorite so far has been a relatively small Steampunk airship that I played around with once. Don't be afraid to get creative with it!

I would just like to warn some people against using a method which I see mentioned other places (not here) when first trying to lucid dream. This method instructs you to close your eyes and keep extremely still while forcing yourself to stay awake. Eventually you feel like you are falling and (according to the method) you can open your eyes and you are dreaming lucidly.

All this does is it puts you into sleep paralysis and you are going to have night terrors. I tried this when I first started to learn to lucid dream years ago. I want to warn everyone against it.

Nearly every morning when I can sleep in late, as my sleep cycles grow shallower, I tend to lucid dream. However, it's a continuum, and not a binary condition. As your dreaming becomes more lucid, less and less of the rules of your dream universe are steadfast. As they slowly dissolve, you both gain control, and lose confidence in the continuity of your dream universe.

This tradeoff seems inevitable to me, but over the years I have learned how to influence the order in which the rules and expectations which make up the dream's structure lose their hold over my imagination. The laws of physics, and euclidian space are the first to go for me (now your're thinking with portals ;) but the objective of the dream always persists till the end. Nearly all of my dreams are some kind of crazy mission, such as taking a scepter to the top of a mountain or something. I almost never complete them, but they are the most steadfast part of any dream. Only when I'm fully awake can I recognize them as mere dream objectives.

EDIT: the most interesting part of this is its application to real life. we are always dreaming to some extent, and our minds can occupy many places on a continuum between believing we are in control of all that we observe, to believing that we are totally governed by fate. Sometimes by sacrificing control we can become content, and by substituting our own reality for what we once thought was real, we can do amazing things.

Edited by nhnifong

I just had my first quality lucid dream! I think I'll just copy over my entry in my dream journal from dreamviews forum, hold on.

Ah, here we are:

In case you do not know, WILDing is: http://www.dreamviews.com/wiki/WILD-Tutorial

And reality checks are: http://www.dreamviews.com/wiki/Reality-Check-Tutorial

MEMORABLE

Length: 1 hour (total)

Type: Lucid (half lucid half not lucid)

I was talking to my friend Josh from middle school (in my middle school, even though its summer). He was saying something, but I can't remember what. I then remembered in the dream, that I had just WILD'd (first successful WILDing!). So I told him this

"Bro, this is a dream, I can do whatever I want, because its not real."

He gave me his usual "your crazy" smile. The dream started to go fuzzy, as if I were losing it. The whole halls were bending around like I was spinning, and I tried to stop thinking and look at my hands to stabilize my dream. I couldn't, I had fell asleep ON my hands. I tried to not focus on much without closing my eyes, it worked.

After that, I started walking about and testing some lucid dreaming control, the most memorable was trying to turn a guy into a teddy bear because he was being a bully to me once, but he turned into paper instead. I was sitting on a bench in a garden trying to think this whole lucid stuff through, when a girl I knew walked up to me. She had gotten the plans about which classes we would be in next year, she told me them, then quoted Rena (my awesomely awesome best language arts teacher ever) on something. Then I woke up, at least I thought I did.

The next part of this is kind of fuzzy, so bear with me.

I was driving down a hill or something, and through the trees I saw a space center. I looked at the launch tower, and thought about spaceshuttles, and how they don't launch them anymore. By thinking about it it actually made it happen, so I saw a spaceshuttle. I should have recognized this as a dream, but I didn't OK? Sue me. We drove along and I saw this scene play out from a kid's cartoon I used to watch. There were poles blocking us from entering a cave, but we drove through them anyways, down there there was a polar bear, and we got in a fight with icicles and rocks.

(memory blindness)

I woke up (for real this time). I then realized what the hell happened, and this is what did happen:

1. I woke up around 7:00 I think I tried to WILD and succeeded!

2. All that first dream stuff happens

3. False awakening into that second dream

4. All that second dream stuff happens

5. Woke up for reals, and then got a huge confidence boost.

I've lucid dreamed once before without ANY special effort or anything, it just sorta happened randomly. I was pretty lucky to have it, but when I realized that I was dreaming I pretty much woke up instantly :( It went like this: I was in the back of a car that was driving really fast down a road in the middle of a rainy day. There were some trees alongside the road, and there were a bunch of zombies just wandering around the road too. I eventually got to some sort of safehouse and went inside where there was a few more people inside. That's when the dream became lucid (well, more like semi-lucid, I was still following dream logic a little), and when I realized this I just randomly decided to make a zombie appear in the room, which it did. But before I could do anything else, I woke up. Oh well, I guess that's what happens most of the time if I dont spend any time practicing lucidity :P

This is close to astralprojection, or it can be if you are familiair with trances ;) I had my first lucid dream when i was 8 i think, and it was so clear and feelt like i wasnt at dream at all. I had the abilitiy to fly and i could feel the wind. I had several of those dreams and tried some medition and you can discover some new things about the world and your self =) cheers

So I've been thinking about inception lately.

When Areadnie died in limbo, she woke up in the previous dream. When Cobb and Saito killed themselves in the limbo, they didn't return to the real world, they went to the previous dream. And since the dream was long gone (everyone left it) it was emptied and filled with Cobb's subconscious. He expects this dream to be the real world so he dreamt his ring missing (and possibly, the spinning top to be able to topple). If you watch closely, the real world was like a dream that sometimes, went JUST like he wanted, and sometimes it was a nightmare. And if she didn't kill herself again, Mal could still be alive in the real world, waiting for Cobb's train to come and take him to the real world so they can be together again.

Edited by Astronomer

Well, technically I could spoil all your fun and tell you everything wrong with Inception (they got most things about dreaming wrong).

But if you want to have your fun go ahead. Unless someone under me does it for me. :rolleyes:

To me, Inception was a movie based around major philosophical questions rather than dreaming itself.

There is no possible way to tell if you are dreaming or not at any moment (including right now), therefore there is no logical way to define "dreaming".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.