What is the one thing that you have learned while playing KSP?

If you want to go somewhere, you have to thrust in a completely different direction than expected.

Second. I always thought that you go to a planet by pointing straight at it instead of doing it PROPERLY.

Hmm... What has KSP thought me...

Never to say yes to go on a one way trip to Mars. There would be no accelerated time, and I wouldn't be allowed to touch anything funny.

And how a navball works! Clever little devicel do they work that way in real life?

That high gravity environments suck. Seriously, long-term space settlement is probably better off focused around asteroids and low-g moons and not planets like Earth. Getting stuff up the gravity well (or safely down) is so expensive in terms of fuel/energy needed.

There's definitely no one thing KSP has taught me since it introduced me to orbital and celestial mechanics, but the lesson I've gained from it of most value is that space itself is not hard to deal with. Indeed, space is quite easy. Having to deal with things IN space is where it gets tricky. I'd learned shades of this ages ago when I first realized what a harsh mistress gravity really is.

That high gravity environments suck. Seriously, long-term space settlement is probably better off focused around asteroids and low-g moons and not planets like Earth. Getting stuff up the gravity well (or safely down) is so expensive in terms of fuel/energy needed.

The problem with that is long-term low gravity can have bad effects on human development, if you neglected it you could fall seriously ill should you try and return to Earth.

On topic: That the biggest obstacle for a larger scale of kerbal expansion is unity 3's limitations.

I learned how hard it is to go to other planets. Going to the moon was big, but after getting to Eve/Duna I now realize how hard it must've been for NASA to land a rover on Mars. Didn't fully appreciate it until I "did" it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.